DVDVR Message Board

Non NHL Omnibus thread

odessasteps

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The KHL appears to be in serious financial jeopardy. Apparently three teams are on the verge of folding, and two already went under this year.

Shout out to Illya Kovalchuk.

He will be back in the NHL before you can say rubles.  Unless Putin puts him to work.  Really how long before clowns like Alexander Radulov start slithering their way back to the NHL looking for jobs.  Oooooh I feel a Don Cherry rant coming on

The KHL appears to be in serious financial jeopardy. Apparently three teams are on the verge of folding, and two already went under this year.

Shout out to Illya Kovalchuk.

He will be back in the NHL before you can say rubles.  Unless Putin puts him to work.  Really how long before clowns like Alexander Radulov start slithering their way back to the NHL looking for jobs.  Oooooh I feel a Don Cherry rant coming on

Kovalchuk has to have approval from ALL of the NHL GM's in order to return to the NHL. 

This is going to be fun. 

World Juniors starts today. Not as good as the Olympic tournament, obviously, but that's hardly a knock. Great game between Russia and Denmark, which Russia won in a shootout. Denmark played some fantastic hockey, holding the lead into the third period. They just didn't have the talent to hold on. Nikolaj Ehlers, however, just adds to my excitement for the Jets future.

Currently watching the Finland/USA game (1-1, 1st intermission). Jack Eichel has some unfortunate hair and teenage facial hair.

Canada really gave Slovakia the business yesterday jumping out to a 3-0 lead in the first ten minutes in route to a 8-0 win.  I'm pretty sure that it was because Slovakia is that bad, but that was still one impressive win.  I thought Robbi Fabbri was not only going to get a hat trick but one in the first period but he ended with "only" two goals.  I'm interested to see how they do against Germany later tonight.

I haven't watched junior hockey before so to learn more about the teams, I took a look to see the odds for the gold medal:

Canada U20               2.40

USA U20                    4.00  

Russia U20                5.50  

Sweden U20              5.50  

Finland U20               15.00  

Czech Republic U20  19.00  

Switzerland U20         101.00  

Slovakia U20              301.00

Denmark U20             1001.00  
Germany U20             1001.00

Looking at the odds I see now why the announcers were so surprised that Denmark took a point off Russia yesterday.  The only question for tonight is if Canada hits double digits.  The best games before the knockout seem to be Russia/Sweden on Monday @ 5 and US/Canada on Wednesday @ 4.

I think from the pre-tournament and the opening game it's already obvious that no matter how this tournament ends, this isn't the Canada team of the last couple years where they bought into that ridiculous garbage that you don't want to take too many scorers.

That theory also would have cost us gold in the senior ranks at the last Olympics if it wasn't for Jeff Carter, the scorer nobody wanted on the team, being there and being the only guy on the team that did anything offensively until the semi-final. So I think between those things they finally learned their lesson.

• Like 1

I don't think that theory is ever going to completely go away, too much bullshit faith is put into things like grit and chemistry (which can totally be developed over a 2 week tournament O.o). Take yer best and let god sort em out.

I remember Zamuner being on Team Canada in NHL '99 on N64 and he was so ridiculously below everybody else's ratings. I think everybody else was in the high 80s-90s and here's li'l ol' Rob Zamuner at 75 or something. "If it's in the game, it's in the game... lol"

• Like 1

I remember Zamuner being on Team Canada in NHL '99 on N64 and he was so ridiculously below everybody else's ratings. I think everybody else was in the high 80s-90s and here's li'l ol' Rob Zamuner at 75 or something. "If it's in the game, it's in the game... lol"

Its too long ago for me to remember, but who were the major snubs? That roster was weird. Keith Primeau? Shayne Corson? I like Linden, Brind'Amour and Nieuwendyk, but they don't really scream best in the world. Theo Fleury too. I know Kariya missed that year, but that is a weak ass forward corps.

I remember Peca being broken down by that point but he actually put up 60 points in '01-'02 (his career high). Brewer is still playing for da bolts - I guess.

I'm not a big rah rah Canada guy (especially when they were demolishing the competition in the five straight gold years) but I'm happy that they brought the majority of their best offensive players rather than the bullshit they've been running with the past few years. Jake Virtanen looked pretty deadly last night and he's on the "4th line." The 2013 team had JC Lippon and Anthony Camara (who?).

Fleury had 40 goals in '98-'99 and finished 11th in scoring the year of the Olympics so he was by no means a bad selection. Ronny Francis sticks out as the big missing piece. I know we laugh now but Jason Allison was on fire for those years before injuries killed his career. Turgeon was putting up big point totals at the time BUT HE LACKED GRIT, YO.

But it would seem that the big thing hurting Canada against the Czechs were injuries (Kariya and then Sakic against Kazakhstan) and...

58XvD45.gif

I obviously want Canada to win, but I try not to get hung up on it. These are 18 year old kids, it seems dumb to get upset about the whole deal. Besides, how could anyone be upset by last year's final of Finland/Sweden in Sweden? That's just as intriguing rivalry-wise as Canada/Russia or Canada/US.

I obviously want Canada to win, but I try not to get hung up on it. These are 18 year old kids, it seems dumb to get upset about the whole deal. Besides, how could anyone be upset by last year's final of Finland/Sweden in Sweden? That's just as intriguing rivalry-wise as Canada/Russia or Canada/US.

Absolutely. That game where the US stopped the Canadian gold run in 2010 was un-fucking-believable. That was in Saskatoon, too. Eberle tied it up with less than two minutes to go and that great Carlson goal in OT to win it. I just love watching good hockey. Some of the best hockey games of the last 10 years have been in the WJC. I will never forget that incredible tournament with Tavares/Eberle/Hodgson on the Canadian team. The games against USA (the first real NYE thriller) and the Russia comeback are two of the best games I've ever seen. Right up there with game 7 of the '94 Flames/Canucks series.

Yeah USA's junior teams have been just as good as ours the last 5 years really. It makes for great viewing. Sweden seem like the head of the pack in Europe now to me. Russia, I can't fathom some of the stuff they do. Some really good players but I just don't understand Russian coaching/systems, sorry.

I am not happy the Oilers didn't let Leon Draisaitl play in this thing for Germany. Especially because it seems still possible he will be sent back to junior hockey before the year is out. This isn't really surprising news but I'm not totally sure the Oilers know what they're doing.

Yeah USA's junior teams have been just as good as ours the last 5 years really. It makes for great viewing. Sweden seem like the head of the pack in Europe now to me. Russia, I can't fathom some of the stuff they do. Some really good players but I just don't understand Russian coaching/systems, sorry.

I am not happy the Oilers didn't let Leon Draisaitl play in this thing for Germany. Especially because it seems still possible he will be sent back to junior hockey before the year is out. This isn't really surprising news but I'm not totally sure the Oilers know what they're doing.

Please tell me you're not just figuring this out.

• Like 1