DVDVR Message Board

Double or Nothing VI - 5/26/2024

This must be just like living in Paradise... and I don't wanna go home!  

(Joke's on you Van Halen!  No one actually lives in Paradise, Nevada!   But some Pay Per Views do!)

Welcome to the 6th Double or Nothing! 

THE CARD~!

FOR THE AEW CHAMPIONSHIP - Swerve Strickland (c) vs. Christian Cage

FOR THE AEW WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Timeless Toni Storm (c) vs. Serena Deeb

FOR THE TBS CHAMPIONSHIP - Willow Nightengale (c) vs. Mercedes Mone**

FOR THE INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP - Roderick Strong (c) vs. Will Osperay***

---

** - Mone's AEW debut match

*** - Natural will give this match *****.   Dave will go... higher.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

This must be just like living in Paradise... and I don't wanna go home!  

(Joke's on you Van Halen!  No one actually lives in Paradise, Nevada!   But some Pay Per Views do!)

Welcome to the 6th Double or Nothing! 

THE CARD~!

FOR THE AEW CHAMPIONSHIP - Swerve Strickland (c) vs. TBA*

FOR THE TBS CHAMPIONSHP - Willow Nightengale (c) vs. Mercedes Mone**

FOR THE INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP - Roderick Strong (c) vs. Will Osperay***

---

* - Opponent will be announced at 5/1 Dynamite

** - Mone's AEW debut match

*** - Natural will give this match *****.   Dave will go... higher.

Little chance of that happening. I find Will Ospreay overrated. One of those heavily hyped things you find yourself in the minority on. Fair enough to those who do like him. Only things going for him with me is Elevated and the Hidden Blade.

On 4/26/2024 at 9:28 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Joke's on you Van Halen!  No one actually lives in Paradise, Nevada!   But some Pay Per Views do!)

This is solo Dave!!

On 4/26/2024 at 9:38 AM, Raziel said:

Straight up he'll climb?

This is Van Hagar era!!!!!

YOU GUYS ARE KILLING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

20 hours ago, The Natural said:

Only things going for him with me is Elevated and the Hidden Blade.

Honest question: do you at least like him as a promo??

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

This is solo Dave!!

This is Van Hagar era!!!!!

YOU GUYS ARE KILLING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was playing off of "going higher".  I know full well it was Sammy era.  But at least I kept it in the Van Halen catalog and didn't go off on another band (like Creed)

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I was playing off of "going higher".  I know full well it was Sammy era.  But at least I kept it in the Van Halen catalog and didn't go off on another band (like Creed)

We can all be thankful you didn't start quoting Creed. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

We can all be thankful you didn't start quoting Creed. 

My Own Prison has a couple of good Alice in Chains/Soundgarden/Load-era Metallica-type cuts on it, and if you don't have at least some affinity for My Sacrifice as a wrestling fan, idk what to tell you - I will die on this hill!

56 minutes ago, Gordi the former AEW fan said:

One Step At A Time. One Punch At A Time. One Round At A Time.” 

Had I not just caught this on BBC the other week this might've sailed over my head - well done!

Also, apologies Raz - I have a real hatred for anything Sammy other than a handful, let me cool my jets

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Also, apologies Raz - I have a real hatred for anything Sammy other than a handful, let me cool my jets

No worries,  I wasn't mad.  I had to go Van Hagar, because "to a place where blind men see" really doesn't fit Dave.

• Haha 1

AEW Double or Nothing 2024 will celebrate the five year anniversary of their first ever show, AEW Double or Nothing 2019.

I'm interested to see who'll be in Anarchy in the Arena with how wild the 2022 and 2023 versions were. That's become a signature match in AEW. Team Tony vs. Kazuchika Okada/The Young Bucks/Jack Perry?

19 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

My Own Prison has a couple of good Alice in Chains/Soundgarden/Load-era Metallica-type cuts on it, and if you don't have at least some affinity for My Sacrifice as a wrestling fan, idk what to tell you - I will die on this hill!

Had I not just caught this on BBC the other week this might've sailed over my head - well done!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has some good feelings towards My Own Prison. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, The Natural said:

AEW Double or Nothing 2024 will celebrate the five year anniversary of their first ever show, AEW Double or Nothing 2019.

I'm interested to see who'll be in Anarchy in the Arena with how wild the 2022 and 2023 versions were. That's become a signature match in AEW. Team Tony vs. Kazuchika Okada/The Young Bucks/Jack Perry?

I would be into that, but there's also part of me that believes they won't do one without Jericho involved so maybe something centric to this Big Bill/Learning Tree thing?

• Like 1

On 4/26/2024 at 9:19 PM, The Natural said:

Little chance of that happening. I find Will Ospreay overrated. One of those heavily hyped things you find yourself in the minority on. Fair enough to those who do like him. Only things going for him with me is Elevated and the Hidden Blade.

I'm surprised the match at Dynasty didn't raise your estimation of him more. Granted Brian Danielson is a pretty easy guy to have a great match with, but looking at other threads I see you have it as Danielson's best match this year and his third best in AEW overall.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I'm surprised the match at Dynasty didn't raise your estimation of him more. Granted Brian Danielson is a pretty easy guy to have a great match with, but looking at other threads I see you have it as Danielson's best match this year and his third best in AEW overall.

It's the most I've enjoyed a Will Ospreay match. I just don't get less at the DVDVR MB (one of the few disagreements with posters in my time here) but more away from here how heavily praised he is by the majority of people as the second coming. I know that's rich coming from me with my Bryan Danielson love in but that hasn't stopped me critiquing some things I don't like of his. There's always something critically acclaimed you don't see eye to eye with others on and that's me with Will. Fair play to those who do like him. I find Ospreay matches do too much, strip it down a tad. It's why I preferred the Omega/Ospreay NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 17 match to the AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door 2023 rematch. I'd rather watch Zack Sabre Jr than Will Ospreay. A year ago there was a conversation about Omega vs. Ospreay comparing the two. I definitely prefer Kenny to Will. Looking at the AEW roster, I'd watch Bryan Danielson, Kazuchika Okada, Samoa Joe and Claudio Castagnoli over Will Ospreay. Sorry this is all one paragraph, thought I'd get it out in one spiel of consciousness.

Edited by The Natural

37 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I was debating whether to put Danielson/Ospreay fourth behind the Broadway draw between Danielson/Page as I like long matches and draws than most providing their done well of course.

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

It's the most I've enjoyed a Will Ospreay match. I just don't get less at the DVDVR MB (one of the few disagreements with posters in my time here) but more away from here how heavily praised he is by the majority of people as the second coming. I know that's rich coming from me with my Bryan Danielson love in but that hasn't stopped me critiquing some things I don't like of his. There's always something critically acclaimed you don't see eye to eye with others on and that's me with Will. Fair play to those who do like him. I find Ospreay matches do too much, strip it down a tad. It's why I preferred the Omega/Ospreay NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 17 match to the AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door 2023 rematch. I'd rather watch Zack Sabre Jr than Will Ospreay. A year ago there was a conversation about Omega vs. Ospreay comparing the two. I definitely prefer Kenny to Will. Looking at the AEW roster, I'd watch Bryan Danielson, Kazuchika Okada, Samoa Joe and Claudio Castagnoli over Will Ospreay. Sorry this is all one paragraph, thought I'd get it out in one spiel of consciousness.

Two things from me and I get I don’t post much lately. One is part of why he’s hyped as the second coming is even your guy endorses him as being that in media interviews. 

The other is Zack Sabre Jr is to me what Ospreay is to you. I find watching him to be as exciting as watching paint dry. That’s why I’m always shocked when people suggest he should be IWGP champion. Which I get if Mox can hold it literally anyone can, but still.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Just Adam Bay Bay said:

Two things from me and I get I don’t post much lately. One is part of why he’s hyped as the second coming is even your guy endorses him as being that in media interviews. 

The other is Zack Sabre Jr is to me what Ospreay is to you. I find watching him to be as exciting as watching paint dry. That’s why I’m always shocked when people suggest he should be IWGP champion. Which I get if Mox can hold it literally anyone can, but still.

I'll have to disagree with Bryan Danielson there but I'm nobody to say that questioning the GOAT.

It'd be boring if everyone liked/disliked the same thing as long as you are respective of people's opinions. Aye, Zack Sabre Jr to you is what Will Ospreay is to me. Technical/submission wrestling has been my favourite style of wrestling since I started watching wrestling as a five year old seeing Bret Hart then Chris Benoit, Bryan Danielson and Zack Sabre Jr. I like how ZSJ can come up with pin and submission counters out of nowhere. I hope ZSJ wins the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship but I wish it was the IWGP Heavyweight Championship V4 instead. Such a stupid decision the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship.

Edited by The Natural

It's interesting to me how different opinions can sometimes be, when the logic behind them is actually pretty fairly similar - I'm with you @The Naturalthat Bret and Bryan are the standard, but I'm with you @Just Adam Bay Baythat ZSJ makes watching grass grow seem exciting.

I've tried and tried, but there's just an intangible he's missing for me, and I cannot put my finger on it.

I don't know that it's necessarily "charisma" in the traditional sense, because even comparing him to a guy like Dean Malenko, or Claudio, or Serena Deeb, or Voldemort or any other great technician not necessarily known for their promo skills, I think he still sort of comes up short, so it can't be that.

• Thanks 1

Are they really gonna shove Jack Perry in the title match here? I don't see that getting a ton of buys, but I don't know who else goes there unless Hangman's good to go. I see could see them trying to do Rock/HHH from Backlash 2000 with Kenny playing the Austin role.

Hangman getting reinstated as a member of the Elite (after he swerves Kenny and joins the beatdown in Winnipeg) would be a better fit. If they're running a Blood and Guts for control of the company, you have to bring Swerve into the fold or his reign becomes a bigger afterthought than Joe's.

They could have Keith Lee attempt to finish his story. Considering how some people have been moaning for ages that they never paid it off, bringing it back now could make perfect sense. Even do it as a babyface vs babyface match, Swerve giving Keith a shot (despite him being unranked) because he wants to put his past behind him or something.