DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2024 Wrestling Talk

20 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I can get with the gist of it.  It sucks that women work hard to be respected and seen on the same level as the men, but then seemingly the only thing that gets attention is this male gaze oriented bullshit.  At the same time, it’s a WWE performer giving an interview, so it’s likely a work.

I don't think it was a "work" in the sense that someone told Becky to say all of that. It felt to me like a work/shoot like "I'm facing this person and getting digs in but at the same time telling you the truth about how I feel about her spot" 

• Like 3

looking at Newsbank where there's an ad in the Kansas City Times from September 1978 talking about how you can watch Georgia Championship Wrestling on TeleCable in Northeast Johnson County (next to the state line)

then going to Newspapers.com which has GCW listings on Channel 17 in Aiken, South Carolina (August 1976), Galveston TX (January 1977), Roanoke VA (March 1977), Cumberland MD (May 1977). So there's quite a few really early examples of Georgia being on TV on other people's turf years before the Funks sold their territory over GCW being on TV in Amarillo.

You know, is there a good book about Superstations, or Cable, or TBS, because if there isn't.. there might be something interesting to that general story (not just about how wrestling on cable)

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't think it was a "work" in the sense that someone told Becky to say all of that. It felt to me like a work/shoot like "I'm facing this person and getting digs in but at the same time telling you the truth about how I feel about her spot" 

I am leaning towards this being completely how she feels about it and I sympathize with Becky.  I kind of want to wonder if she talked with Rhea and shared her thoughts on the spot privately though who knows.  But I don't know and would rather not speculate.

I do however think even for a house show in 2024 there's tons of other ways to do a comedy/outside the norm spot that isn't something like this.  Yet to Becky's point women's wrestling has come a long way that when a spot like this is done especially in WWE it's just so odd anymore.  I also can't help but wonder why in the fuck somebody would ask her about this in the first place.  It's a damning indictment on the person asking who seemed really tone deaf in not considering who Becky is and what she has talked about for a long time.  It's been long established from Becky about her views as it's been said many times over.  So he was just best off not mentioning this at all even if he thought it was some type of fluff piece question.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

then going to Newspapers.com which has GCW listings on Channel 17 in Aiken, South Carolina (August 1976), Galveston TX (January 1977), Roanoke VA (March 1977), Cumberland MD (May 1977). So there's quite a few really early examples of Georgia being on TV on other people's turf years before the Funks sold their territory over GCW being on TV in Amarillo.

I don't know what Barnett's true intentions were but I remembering watching some interviews about this and apparently he was stating to other promoters that because they were still using all Georgia based wrestlers it was no harm, no foul.  

I've never viewed McMahon as the only promoter looking to monopolize professional wrestling.  It seems like several others were attempting to do the same. 

I mean they sort of touched on Rhea's house show spot during the face to face confrontation Rhea and Becky had on Raw last week, it is now part of their story/feud so I think it is fair to touch upon. I also think whatever Becky's thoughts are (they are likely this) she is gonna hold this line until the match is done because of this.

• Like 1

Agreed and honestly I forgot she mentioned that in the Raw confrontation until 10 minutes after I posted this.  That's mainly because I didn't know what Rhea was or was not doing on TikTok and this aside still don't since i don't use it.  But hey if they want to use real feelings and make it part of what is or is not discussed in the story then cool.  But I still stand by the second paragraph.

I don't normally love work/shoot stuff seeping into the television but there's no doubt that sometimes it does bring more passion and intensity to otherwise generic/scripted promo segments. 

I do think Becky feels that way about this and I liked the Drew/Punk/Rollins segment on Monday because it does feel like the guys don't like each other all that much.  There was a lot of truth behind what they were saying and it came off better that super scripted stuff. 

• Like 2

Becky also brought up the barking segment in her feud with Trish. True feelings or not, it’s well within her character to look down on that style of entertainment. 

• Like 1