DVDVR Message Board

2023-24 NCAAF - GOIN' BOWLING!

Dolfan in NYC

48 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

And Penix is amazing. I’m truly baffled as to how he could be poor NFL prospect. He looks CJ Stroud-like.

Bad knees and a long throwing motion. 

Edited by Tabe

7 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

I had no faith in Ewers or Sark at the beginning of the year. They overachieved. Can’t be too mad. But I’m guessing Arch is gonna start next year anyway?

I definitely don’t think it should be a given that Ewers is the starter next year. He didn’t significantly improve at all this season, and ultimately it did put a cap on what this otherwise natty-caliber team could achieve.

That last Texas drive was a perfect encapsulation of who Ewers is as a player: When the first read is open, he’s the got the arm talent to wow you. But if it ain’t, he’s just a guy. You could tell that Sark didn’t trust him to read a defense inside the 10 yard line with the game on the line AT ALL.

Who knows if Arch is really even that good, but it would be foolish not to give him (or whoever) a chance to prove it this offseason.

Oh, I'm gonna guess she got screamed at by some Kellogg's exec as soon as she walked to the back for covering up the entire logo with her notes.

• Haha 1

A side effect of having a terrible, terrible offense is your punter is going to get a LOT of work.  

To wit, Iowa's Tory Taylor broke the NCAA record for most punting yards yesterday.   The record had stood for 86 years.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Iowa played three ranked teams all year - and was shutout by all three. 

They were the ninth P5 team since 2000 to be shut out at least three times in a season.

None of the previous 8 won more than three games.

Iowa averaged 15.6 ppg. They are the first team to average under 16 and win 10 games since 1934.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, EVA said:

Seriously, this reminds me of 2019 LSU so much. They can run the clock by passing the ball because they just WILL NOT miss.

Ironically, Texas was the closest to beating that 2019 LSU team.

9 hours ago, EVA said:

I definitely don’t think it should be a given that Ewers is the starter next year. He didn’t significantly improve at all this season, and ultimately it did put a cap on what this otherwise natty-caliber team could achieve.

That last Texas drive was a perfect encapsulation of who Ewers is as a player: When the first read is open, he’s the got the arm talent to wow you. But if it ain’t, he’s just a guy. You could tell that Sark didn’t trust him to read a defense inside the 10 yard line with the game on the line AT ALL.

Who knows if Arch is really even that good, but it would be foolish not to give him (or whoever) a chance to prove it this offseason.

I think there will, and should be a competition, and I also think the Mannings are fine with Arch as back-up next year if it happens that way. But I think Ewers absolutely improved significantly this year in terms of leadership and connecting on deep balls. He rushed back hurt after missing those two games mid-season and didn’t even have full green light until Okie State.

27.2 million viewers for the Rose Bowl, the most watched non-NFL sporting event since 2018. Peaked at nearly 33 million. (Alabama's overtime win over Georgia for the title)

Sugar Bowl despite being absurdly late still drew 18.4 and peaked at 24.5.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, EVA said:

I’m glad the companies that bought all those damn commercials got their money’s worth.

College Football desperately needs to follow the NFL's lead and at least get rid of the score - commercial - kick off touchback - commercial sequence that just kills games.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Did it get mentioned in here that Michigan and Washington are the only two conference champions who won bowl games this year

That's crazy. 

I’m really hoping we get a competitive final tonight. Even before last season’s debacle, the average margin of victory in these games from 2018-2021 was 22 points. Been a while since we’ve had a truly memorable game in this spot.

Also, I would be lying by omission if I didn’t say that there’s a part of me that really wants Washington to win. Not because of any hard feelings about the Bama game, but just because the Pac-12 champ winning the natty would be the absolute perfect cap to this insane year of realignment.

That said, while Washington has the unicorn factor on its side with Michael Penix (THE transcendently great college player in this game), the best team almost always wins this game, and Michigan is just better than Washington, man for man, across the board. The only CFP final where it’s even arguable that the best team didn’t win was Clemson over Bama in 2016—which was powered by a transcendently great performance by Deshaun Watson (though it did have a number of other intervening variables, like Saban firing Kiffin before the game, Bama’s starting RB blowing out his knee midway through, and a much bigger disparity at QB than what we’ll see with Penix vs. McCarthy).

So I’ve got Michigan here, just hopefully by fewer than 15 points (the smallest margin of victory in this game since 2017).

All the attention is understandably on Washington's elite offense against Michigan's devastating defense, but I really think the other side of the ball is going to decide the game.

Michigan's offense isn't productive in raw numbers, but it's lethally efficient (by ESPN's efficiency metric, it's the third most efficient in the nation, two spots above Washington) and Washington's defense has been not particularly impressive. Texas was averaging well over six yards a carry, and Oregon right around six the last two games. Unlike them, Michigan won't abandon the run early, and if Corum just keeps moving the chains and shortening the game, I have a hard time seeing Washington winning.