DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2023 - WEEK FOUR

Dolfan in NYC

Clemson beat us up and down the field. Norvell deserves some credit for something that will sound crazy but it’s true. In football, especially in college, when 1 team dominates another year after year the dominating team always win 1 MORE TIME than they should before the other team finally breaks the streak. It took some serious voodoo but Norvel has kept that from happening twice now. Today against Clemson and when he beat LSU with similar voodoo on that blocked extra point. I know we hadn’t had a series with LSU but we’d had a series of primetime week 1 games where we got out asses kicked.

13 minutes ago, EVA said:

If you’re curious how Bama’s offense is going today, Bama blocked a punt and got the ball at the 1-yard line…

And ended up settling for a 40-yard FG.

Farcical stuff.

You're pretty plugged into Alabama... how have they gotten to this point where they don't have a reliable QB, they don't have good receivers, the offensive line can't block, and they don't appear to have a stud tailback to carry the offense? How did that all happen at once despite nonstop top five or better classes?

19 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

You're pretty plugged into Alabama... how have they gotten to this point where they don't have a reliable QB, they don't have good receivers, the offensive line can't block, and they don't appear to have a stud tailback to carry the offense? How did that all happen at once despite nonstop top five or better classes?

It’s a complex situation. The effect of the portal/NIL have definitely been felt on the roster. But a big factor has been bad offensive coaching hires post-2020. Poor evaluations, poor development. Having a #1 draft pick at QB hid a lot of the problems for a while, but when you’ve got a QB who cannot play QB, everything else gets exposed.

To be fair, the receivers are playing well this year. I see guys getting open all the time. Unfortunately the guy who’s job it is to see them doesn’t, or can’t throw a consistently catchable ball when he does.

Ultimately, I think Saban botched this QB situation by not getting aggressive in the portal before spring ball. He wanted to let Milroe and Simpson have a chance of prove themselves in the spring, and by the time he figured out they didn’t have the juice, it was too late to get a quality starter in, and they had to settle for Buchner, who had the worst case of the yips I’ve ever seen a QB have last week.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, EVA said:

To be fair, the receivers are playing well this year. I see guys getting open all the time. Unfortunately the guy who’s job it is to see them doesn’t, or can’t throw a consistently catchable ball when he does.

Speaking of which, the freshman Hale who just caught the TD is a name to watch.

if the halftime interview is any indicator, Oregon is managing this game like they're seeking revenge on the Houston Cougars because they scored 95 on SMU in 1989. I guess if any conference is gonna have a bunch of salty games between schools that are about to stop playing each other, it's this Pac12

13 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Ole Miss really failed to take advantage of Bama's first half incompetence and actually build a notable lead, and they are paying for it.

Well, what’s been lost in the angst over Bama’s offense is that this defense is actually REALLY good.

Even Texas got most of their points on a couple of fiendishly designed homerun shot passes to two of the fastest WRs in the country and a couple of short fields off TOs. When they just had to drive it down the field on Bama, it was really challenging for them to cash it in the endzone.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 2

I didn’t even know Ole Miss and Bama were playing. Surely there was some Lane Kiffin trash talk this week when he had to know he was finally going to beat Nick Saban. It was just ignored for Deion’s trash talking, while the biggest slimeball turd does it every year and never delivers. 

9 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

I didn’t even know Ole Miss and Bama were playing. Surely there was some Lane Kiffin trash talk this week when he had to know he was finally going to beat Nick Saban. It was just ignored for Deion’s trash talking, while the biggest slimeball turd does it every year and never delivers. 

He was making accusations that Bama had secretly changed defensive coordinators and also possibly was using a Taylor Swift song to troll Bama on Xwitter.

• Like 1