DVDVR Message Board

THE STRIKE

JLSigman

It's embarrassing the AMPTP has suspended negotiations now. The holidays are coming up. Put your nose to the grindstone and this crap done. They should be locked into the room until a deal is made. 

You're also ruining Cody's chances for another WrestleMania title shot. 

Negotiations have been happening and studios are leaking that a deal is "close."  

HOWEVER...

Sure as shit sounds like the studios are trying an end around on the SAG leadership. 

• Like 2

Yeah, so the studios basically haven't budged off the "we wanna scan actors for AI purposes".   The new wrinkle seems to be they also want to scan and use the performances of dead actors for AI purposes... oh and we don't need permission from the union, nor their estates, to do so.  

• Sad 1

Just want to be specific about the sticking point, from the Hollywood Reporter article. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/sag-aftra-ai-protections-for-high-earning-members-sticking-point-1235638247/

The Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers is seeking to secure AI scans for Schedule F performers - guild members who earn more than the minimum for series regular($32,000 per TV episode) and feature films ($60,000). The company's suggested clause would require studios and streamers to pay to scan the likeness of Schedule F Performers. SAG-AFTRA is seeking to attach a compensation for the re-use of AI scans as AMPTP member companies would also need to secure consent from the performer. The language currently in AMPTP's offer would see the studios and streamers secure the right to use scans of deceased performers without the consent of their estate of SAG-AFTRA.

This wording doesn't mean they want to "Scan dead actors" and bring them back from the dead. It's about how they can re-use a scan after the performer, whom they paid to be scanned, has died.

Example:

I book a big series gig and they're going to pay me above scale, which makes me a Schedule F performer. (Sweet)

They pay me extra to scan my appearance. (Sweet)

I die after I finish shooting the episode. (Shit)

There's no language suggesting that they have to compensate, or ask for permission from my family, when they use my likeness in a future episode that I wasn't booked for. Because I'm dead. (Shit)

So it needs to have better language for sure.

• Like 5