DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 Climax 2023.

The Natural

Well, A Block is set.

SANADA completed clean sweep despite the possible hilarity of a Chase Owens win. Chase did get to do a Paradise Lock and Skull End to the champ though.

And..

Spoiler

After all that hand wringing about the Reiwa 3 Musketeers, A Block runner-up Hikuleo beat all three of them clean.

I thought Tsuji vs. "Loose Cannon" Gabe Kidd was outstanding.  I dare not say anymore for anyone who might watch it, but I assure you, going into the match as cold as possible is best.  You will be rewarded.  

Narita vs. Kiyomiya is definitely worth a watch as well.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Evil Otto said:

I thought Tsuji vs. "Loose Cannon" Gabe Kidd was outstanding.  I dare not say anymore for anyone who might watch it, but I assure you, going into the match as cold as possible is best.  You will be rewarded.  

Narita vs. Kiyomiya is definitely worth a watch as well.  

The Tsuji/Kidd opening was boss as hell.

Spoiler

"Tsuji used Twin Magic! It's super effective!"

Seriously, I had no recollection of Tsuji's IDENTICAL TWIN before now. Amazing.

I dunno... I get wanting to build up Sanada, but there's just something about him that just doesn't click with me. OTOH, I love the 20-minute time limit really adding some urgency to everything.

Spoiler

Poor Kiyomiya. You build him up with the Okada feud and then he doesn't even advance from the block.

Spoiler

ELP vs. Ospreay was a fabulous match.  Their timing is truly impeccable, and some of the unreal counters in this match are perhaps only to ever be seen in this particular match-up.  The crowd was molten, foot stomping and all, loudly in support of ELP.  There's a a certain level of how crowds chant where you can sense the intangible suddenly becoming tangible; the rewarding feeling of knowing that someone is finally, truly over and ready for the next level.  This match definitely contained those moments.   I know some people will skip the match due to a general dislike of one or both participants, but for the rest of us, please happily indulge yourselves! 

I guess there's a contract issue looming for Ospreay in January 2024 or thereabouts that may explain some booking hesitancy (I guess we shall see), but that really shouldn't matter.  When you have arguably the best wrestler in the world on your roster, that person should be winning the G1.  Sorry to say this, but Naito is a completely underwhelming pick.  I see no reason why they shouldn't go with Ospreay this year.  

Edited by Evil Otto
  • Like 1

I'm catching up on the G1 after spending a few days away. I think if NOAH and NJPW don't smell money in future Kiyomiya/Narita and Kiyomiya/Umino matches, there's a problem. Both matchups were really enjoyable this G1 (Kiyomiya's match with Tsuji was fun too, so we can throw that in I guess), but gave the distinct impression that all of the wrestlers have more that they can show against one another in an even higher-stakes environment.

SANADA getting the big push as IWGP World Heavyweight Champion and perfect in the G1 Climax, ugh. Never seen anything in SANADA to get this mega push. Ditto for EVIL as IWGP World Heavyweight Champion/IWGP Intercontinental Champion in 2020. You need to create new stars but neither deserved these.

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

SANADA getting the big push as IWGP World Heavyweight Champion and perfect in the G1 Climax, ugh. Never seen anything in SANADA to get this mega push. Ditto for EVIL as IWGP World Heavyweight Champion/IWGP Intercontinental Champion in 2020. You need to create new stars but neither deserved these.

SANADA has been over for years and realistically probably should have won the belt instead of EVIL a few years back. His run here was about giving him a strong look before whatever loss he takes during the quarter or semi finals. Beyond that there was no one in his block he really should have lost to. Its fine if you dislike him, but personal dislike of him isn't really an argument against him as champ from a general perspective. 

• Like 1

On 7/26/2023 at 11:11 PM, lostinube said:

I think it might be SANADA and Kaito out of A, Okada and Ospreay out of B (it gives El-P a chance for a win against Ospreay), Finley and whoever wins on the last night between Shingo and EVIL out of C and Cobb and possibly Naito out of D. Zack is ahead right now but we can't put it past NJPW to have Naito win out, especially if his last obstacle is Tanahashi. Safe picks to be sure.

OK. So Kaito was wrong (no one saw the Hikuleo express coming). Okada and Ospreay. Finlay clinches it with a win over Eddie. Unfortunately EVIL over Shingo despite LIJ actually coming out to stop the shenanigans. One more night to go!

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

What happened to Jeff Cobb? He was undefeated after ZSJ on the episode that aired on AXS last week (I know that's probably weeks old, granted). 

Block D decision is tomorrow/late tonight. Its down between Cobb, Naito, and ZSJ. Considering how each block has been 1 native/gaijin winner I assume its more a case of who between Cobb and ZSJ joins Naito.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

I'm still playing a bit of catch up here. So at this point I think it's getting safe to say that ELP/Ospreay is one of the better matchups in modern pro wrestling. Those two seemingly can't have a bad match, or even a good match. Everything they've done against each other in the last few years has been great, and the match from this year's G1 was no exception. It built off of their encounter from last year (which I and several others on the board recognized at the time as having an incredible finish), and brought a tremendous amount of energy out of the crowd and the announce team. So far I've only watched the English version, but I don't think I've heard KK and Chris get that in to a match in quite a while. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, lostinube said:

The field is set. Tomorrow in Funabashi is

Reveal hidden contents

SANADA (A1) vs EVIL (C2)

Okada (B1) vs ZSJ (D2)

Finlay (C1) vs Ospreay (B2)

Naito (D1) vs Hikuleo (A2)

Spoiler

Just 5 Guys vs House of Torture

Chaos vs TMDK

Bullet Club vs United Empire

LIJ vs Hontai/GoD

12 minutes ago, Salads said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Just 5 Guys vs House of Torture

Chaos vs TMDK

Bullet Club vs United Empire

LIJ vs Hontai/GoD

Going into the last match, the Japanese commentary team were saying how "this group has someone in, this group has someone in but..."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lostinube said:

The field is set. Tomorrow in Funabashi is

Hide contents

SANADA (A1) vs EVIL (C2)

Okada (B1) vs ZSJ (D2)

Finlay (C1) vs Ospreay (B2)

Naito (D1) vs Hikuleo (A2)

Ok...

Spoiler

First match is Room 101 for me. Ugh. Let SANADA win and his first loss in the tournament for someone who needs it.

I'd love Zack Sabre Jr to beat Kazuchika Okada but I very much doubt it. ZSJ should be having the push Will Ospreay has.

Be a big win for Finlay, the new Bullet Club leader but he's not losing to Will.

Can't see Tetsuya Naito losing to Hikuleo not should he.

Semi-finals are set:

Spoiler

Okada vs EVIL (!)

Naito vs Ospreay

Despite what people thought it was the Ospreay/Finlay match that had all the outside interference while SANADA/EVIL had "only" Dick Togo interfering. Even NJPW realizes that back to back matches of a cast of hundreds run-ins would be too much.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, The Natural said:

Ok...

Reveal hidden contents

First match is Room 101 for me. Ugh. Let SANADA win and his first loss in the tournament for someone who needs it.

I'd love Zack Sabre Jr to beat Kazuchika Okada but I very much doubt it. ZSJ should be having the push Will Ospreay has.

Be a big win for Finlay, the new Bullet Club leader but he's not losing to Will.

Can't see Tetsuya Naito losing to Hikuleo not should he.

Results...

Spoiler

Fucking hell at EVIL beating SANADA. Can't stand either but if forced to watch one, I'd pick SANADA. Surely SANADA won't be IWGP World Heavyweight Champion heading into Wrestle Kingdom?

Gutted Zack Sabre Jr inevitably losing to Kazuchika Okada.

Tetsuya Naito and Will Ospreay win as expected and face each other next. C'mon Naito.