DVDVR Message Board

Hollywood Actors and Their Place on the Card

RonL21

Hollywood actors/actresses are a lot like Pro Wrestlers, MMA/Boxers.  They have their place and their purpose.  What actors would you consider as: Main Eventers, Upper Midcard, Midcard, and Rising Stars?

I got the obvious in the Main Event: Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Will Smith, Denzel Washington, Leo DiCaprio etc.  The people that can guarantee big money.  I think the midcard is where it can get tricky.

I look at character actors as the mid-card.  People like Ron Perlman, Steve Buscemi, etc.

Those dudes are Jobbers to the Stars at best.  How many times have you spent money to see either of them?  You are basically saying that Kofi Kingston and Brodus Clay are mid-carders.  A mid-carder should be someone like Amy Adams or even Morgan Freeman, people who are undeniably stars, can handle a starring role if you need them to, but are generally there to support the main even talent. 

I think the biggest question is how many people can really be called main eventers?  Is Will Smith still a championship level worker?  Brad Pitt has been the star of a lot of movies, but World War Z is his biggest hit, and if that is his ceiling can he really be in the main event?  I think that the main event guys right now are Robert Downey Jr.(WWE Champion),  George Clooney(World Champion),  Denzel Washington(Multi-time former champion, already reached his peak, but you can't take him out of the title picture), Jennifer Lawrence(Young lion, making a run to be the top dog for the coming future), The Rock(He fills the Mick Foley role of guy who rarely gets the belt, but is always dangerous)  Leonardo DiCaprio(The guy that who probably should have the belt, but doesn't really play the backstage politics).

• Like 2

Denzel Washington as the Undertaker, more or less?  I can see it.

Freeman is a tweener.  He's not the top of your card, but he's often the reason why you go see smaller films/buy a middle-of-the-road PPV.  Think Now You See Me or Olympus Has Fallen.  He puts butts in seats at the right time, can carry an OK card to well above average, and can support bigger cards (The Dark Knight Trilogy).  Works hard and gets things done, but not looking to be the #1 attraction.  Doesn't ruffle feathers.  Just pay him well and he's cool. You always want him on your side.

What about guys like Christian Bale, Johnny Depp?  Channing Tatum has been bringing his working boots the last couple years.  Where does he fit?  Even though he doesn't work much, I have a hard time keeping Daniel Day-Lewis out of the Main Event.  

I look at character actors as the mid-card. People like Ron Perlman, Steve Buscemi, etc.

Those dudes are Jobbers to the Stars at best. How many times have you spent money to see either of them? You are basically saying that Kofi Kingston and Brodus Clay are mid-carders. A mid-carder should be someone like Amy Adams or even Morgan Freeman, people who are undeniably stars, can handle a starring role if you need them to, but are generally there to support the main even talent.

I think the biggest question is how many people can really be called main eventers? Is Will Smith still a championship level worker? Brad Pitt has been the star of a lot of movies, but World War Z is his biggest hit, and if that is his ceiling can he really be in the main event? I think that the main event guys right now are Robert Downey Jr.(WWE Champion), George Clooney(World Champion), Denzel Washington(Multi-time former champion, already reached his peak, but you can't take him out of the title picture), Jennifer Lawrence(Young lion, making a run to be the top dog for the coming future), The Rock(He fills the Mick Foley role of guy who rarely gets the belt, but is always dangerous) Leonardo DiCaprio(The guy that who probably should have the belt, but doesn't really play the backstage politics).

Ban this fuck.

• Like 1

I forgot about DDL.  I change my Undertaker, from Denzel to DDL.  They work a similar schedule.

Bale is a lot like Jericho.  You can move him up to main events or down to upper mid-cards as needed.  Very versatile.   But where they differ is Bale seems to be getting better as his career continues.  It doesn't feel right pushing him down these days.  I think he's a top-shelf guy, but with the caveat of being one of the first you'd bump if cuts were necessary.

What about guys like Christian Bale, Johnny Depp?  Channing Tatum has been bringing his working boots the last couple years.  Where does he fit?  Even though he doesn't work much, I have a hard time keeping Daniel Day-Lewis out of the Main Event.  

Daniel Day-Lewis is Brock Lesnar, he doesn't work much but every time he does it feels like an event.  Christian Bale is the closest to the main event, but I think it is mostly from Batman.  Johnny Depp was a main eventer, but between him and Will Smith they are basically living off past glory.  Channing Tatum is a young gun who seems to be on the fast track to the main event, but he needs the right role(opponent) to elevate him to the top. 

I think the best discussion who are the young guys with their eyes on the title.  Channing Tatum can be the next generation of the Will Smith/Denzel Washington type of super charismatic guy who every woman loves without making men hate his guts.  Bradley Cooper can fill the George Clooney role of guy who no one would blame for mailing in performances, but he goes out there and busts his ass any way.  Michael B. Jordan seems like the guy who has the biggest upside of any young actor working today(other than Jennifer Lawrence) he really could end up being a combination of Tom Cruise and Leonardo DiCaprio.  He is already rumored to be in Star Wars Episode VII, the next generation of the Rocky franchise, and Fantastic Four.  He could possibly be the next WWE Champion. 

To Fat Spanish Waiter,

I judge all of my posts based on how much you troll them.  I'll keep up the good work.

You don't get to speak ill of the Ron and then call me the troll pal.

I didn't say anything bad about him as a performer, his place in Hollywood is more jobber to the stars than midcarder.  I actually like Ron Perlman, and think he is more talented than plenty of people higher on this theoretical card than him, but he is where he is.  If your favorite wrestler is Brodus Clay, that is fine, you should just understand that he will never win the title. 

I think in the US, we're kinda moving out of the era where actors sell movies. Looks at all the recent bombs by Johnny Depp and Brad Pitt (plus After Earth). The concept is n not interesting, people a aren't coming out anymore just because they like an actor.

I think in the US, we're kinda moving out of the era where actors sell movies. Looks at all the recent bombs by Johnny Depp and Brad Pitt (plus After Earth). The concept is n not interesting, people a aren't coming out anymore just because they like an actor.

Exactly. Hollywood is entering an era where CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, and the Rhodes Boys are main eventing Raws and stealing the show.

Ron Perlman is clearly Goldust.

• Like 1

AJ Styles is that dude from Avatar and Clash of the Titans.

No, that has to be Warrior. Main eventer for a couple of moons, looks to have disappeard, and will once again reappear as a main eventer in a few years(Avatar sequels).

I look at character actors as the mid-card.  People like Ron Perlman, Steve Buscemi, etc.

Those dudes are Jobbers to the Stars at best.  How many times have you spent money to see either of them?  You are basically saying that Kofi Kingston and Brodus Clay are mid-carders.  A mid-carder should be someone like Amy Adams or even Morgan Freeman, people who are undeniably stars, can handle a starring role if you need them to, but are generally there to support the main even talent. 

I think the biggest question is how many people can really be called main eventers?  Is Will Smith still a championship level worker?  Brad Pitt has been the star of a lot of movies, but World War Z is his biggest hit, and if that is his ceiling can he really be in the main event?  I think that the main event guys right now are Robert Downey Jr.(WWE Champion),  George Clooney(World Champion),  Denzel Washington(Multi-time former champion, already reached his peak, but you can't take him out of the title picture), Jennifer Lawrence(Young lion, making a run to be the top dog for the coming future), The Rock(He fills the Mick Foley role of guy who rarely gets the belt, but is always dangerous)  Leonardo DiCaprio(The guy that who probably should have the belt, but doesn't really play the backstage politics).

The fact that you think The Rock is anywhere near the level of Leo, both in terms of acting ability and as a box office draw, tells me that you have probably never checked the weekend top 10 ever. Talk about delusions of grandeur. Just because this is a wrestling board doesn't mean that the biggest wrestling draw is equatable to the biggest box office draw. I recommend you visit other websites besides wwe.com and here.

Regarding this thread, the top box office draws are the ones who command $20M per movie, and there's only a handful of these: Denzel, Will Smith, Julia Roberts, Leo. Brad is great, but the record indicates that he is not a great draw, as I believe WWZ was his first film to cross $100M in the US (Not counting IG or Mr and Mrs Smith).

The fact that you think The Rock is anywhere near the level of Leo, both in terms of acting ability and as a box office draw, tells me that you have probably never checked the weekend top 10 ever. Talk about delusions of grandeur. Just because this is a wrestling board doesn't mean that the biggest wrestling draw is equatable to the biggest box office draw. I recommend you visit other websites besides wwe.com and here.

Regarding this thread, the top box office draws are the ones who command $20M per movie, and there's only a handful of these: Denzel, Will Smith, Julia Roberts, Leo. Brad is great, but the record indicates that he is not a great draw, as I believe WWZ was his first film to cross $100M in the US (Not counting IG or Mr and Mrs Smith).

Where did I say that The Rock was anywhere near the level of Leo as far as acting ability and box office draw, because I don't remember saying that.  I said that Leo should probably have the belt, but he doesn't really play the backstage politics.  Leonardo DiCaprio is either the best or second best leading man working right now, but he never does sequels, remakes(Great Gatsby notwithstanding), comic book movies, or anything that isn't a challenge to him.  He is outstanding in every role and would probably be the ace if he would do the big summer movies. 

Back to The Rock, he is basically the top action star working right now.  He spent 10 weeks with the #1 movie this year with GI Joe and Fast 6.  He isn't going to winning any Oscars for his work, but he has an undeniable screen presence.  He is also one of the few guys, in my opinion, who actually comes off as a star in every role he is in.  And if we are going by pay, The Rock made $46 million this year, and Leo made $39 million.  If we are talking about the actual skill of acting, there is no comparison, but The Rock is a bigger box office draw than you are giving him credit for.

Is there a top comedic actor right now?  It doesn't seem like there is anyone in the Eddie Murphy/Jim Carey mold right now.

Is there a top comedic actor right now?  It doesn't seem like there is anyone in the Eddie Murphy/Jim Carey mold right now.

Since most of the top "comedic" groups are more in who makes them, it'd likely be:

Judd Apatow- Paul Heyman (one really hot run that makes them a star)

The Happy Madison group- Dixie Carter (somehow still mean something, no matter how bad the product gets)

Setzer/Friedberg- Rob Black (You see how bad it is and eventually just have to pat them on the head and say 'that's...just...special, I guess...")

Where did I say that The Rock was anywhere near the level of Leo as far as acting ability and box office draw, because I don't remember saying that.  I said that Leo should probably have the belt, but he doesn't really play the backstage politics.  Leonardo DiCaprio is either the best or second best leading man working right now, but he never does sequels, remakes(Great Gatsby notwithstanding), comic book movies, or anything that isn't a challenge to him.  He is outstanding in every role and would probably be the ace if he would do the big summer movies. 

Back to The Rock, he is basically the top action star working right now.  He spent 10 weeks with the #1 movie this year with GI Joe and Fast 6.  He isn't going to winning any Oscars for his work, but he has an undeniable screen presence.  He is also one of the few guys, in my opinion, who actually comes off as a star in every role he is in.  And if we are going by pay, The Rock made $46 million this year, and Leo made $39 million.  If we are talking about the actual skill of acting, there is no comparison, but The Rock is a bigger box office draw than you are giving him credit for.

Rock's $46M between 4 movies versus Leo's $39M between 2. Also, attributing GI Joe and Fast 6 to Rock is laughable, I think Mister's Willis and Diesel would take issue with that. I associated you saying the Rock and Leo were on the same level when you mentioned Rocky in the same paragraph with other huge box office talent such as George, RDJ, and Denzel. Don't act like you weren't putting Dwayne up with them.

As for the Rock being a "big box office draw," let's compare the budgets vs. receipts of some of Rocky's recent vehicles, omitting ensemble castings like Fast and the Furious and Pain and Gain.

Race to Witch Mountain: $50M budget vs. $100M gross. Result: Broke even.

Planet 51: $70M budget vs. $100M gross. Result: Lost money.

Tooth Fairy: $48M budget vs. $112 gross. Result: Barely Profitable.

Journey 2: $80M budget vs. $325 gross. Result: Profitable.

Snitch: $15M budget vs. $57M gross. Result: Profitable.

So he's a close 3/5 for starring roles. Does he draw? Yes. Should he be mentioned in the same paragraph as RDJ, Leo, or Denzel? Not a chance. 

Finally, I really have no fucking clue what you mean by Leo "Should have the belt but doesn't play backstage politics." Just because Vince made Arnold the World Box Office Champ doesn't mean the title actually exists.