DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2020

Control

Several changes for Zero 1: Changed their operating company and will change their system again. New President has links to Onita and had links to FMW. Hartley Jackson is now the coach and they want to train female wrestlers too. Some women wrestlers will be produced by Megumi Kudo with Kong as the opponent.

The first stage of the new system will be held at Korakuen Hall on August 2nd.

EcoIMP4UwAAFd1N?format=jpg&name=large

Wait, is THAT why I haven't heard from Koji in years? What the hell did he do?

While we're on the subject of news from the past, I just came across this match from NOAH Departure at The Egg. I read on Wikipedia that All-Japan worked with them on this show. Does anyone know what led to them working together? Did the old widow stepping down and let Mutoh right the ship have something to do with it?

AJPW:

HAYATO wants to join Kento's new group. Yusuke Okada has left Evolution and wants to face Yoshitatsu for the Gaora tv title, but he have to beat Seigo first in a hair vs hair match. Izanagi's crisis of faith angle lead to him pinning Kento, and him and Zeus will challenge for the All Asia's

Edited by D.Z

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Japan-immigration/Japan-to-let-some-foreign-residents-back-into-country-in-August

TOKYO -- Japan is planning to start letting foreign residents who left the country before April 3 back in, starting in August.

Some 90,000 residents who left the country before and after that date have been restricted from flying back due to coronavirus measures, but a new regulation will enable some of these expats and students to return.

Specific requirements and the number of re-entries will be determined by Japan's COVID-19 testing capacity.

As of July 10, Japan has been denying entry to foreigners from 129 countries and regions, including China, the U.S. and South Korea. Among Japan's foreign residents, only permanent residents and spouses of Japanese nationals who left before April 3 have been allowed to return.

Foreigners with residence status in Japan are mostly made up of expatriates who work for foreign companies, international students and technical interns. Some companies are currently having to make do without a number of their highly skilled employees. Other companies, many in industries that face an acute labor shortage, had been getting by with technical interns.

Allowing these workers to reenter would help to mitigate some of Japan's economic issues.

There are several status classifications that Japan gives to foreign residents. They range from workers in highly specialized occupations to students, from medical care givers to workers with specific skills.

Relevant ministries will have a say in deciding which classifications are prioritized. Decisions will be based on industry demands and numerical targets.

In addition, it is expected that foreign residents of Japan now in countries or regions with few COVID-19 infections will be among the first to get the green light.

Japan is in talks to resume business travel with Vietnam, Thailand, Australia and New Zealand. Similar negotiations are about to begin with China, South Korea, Taiwan and Brunei. Residents now in these countries are also expected to be moved toward the front of the line.

Japan's reversal reflects pressure from other countries. Many European nations that have been letting visa holders reenter to conduct business or go to school are demanding Japan do the same.

Japan tightened its borders on April 3, and since then has expanded the number of countries and regions whose citizens it restricts. Foreigners who left before that date will be allowed to reenter, considering they were not informed of the regulatory change when they decided to travel out of the country.

Foreign residents now in countries and regions with low coronavirus case numbers will be put at the head of the line. Restrictions on those who left Japan on or after April 3 will remain regardless of the visa they hold.

• Like 1

New article about Jun from Tokyo Sports, but its mostly the same info I already mentioned before.

Anyway in another article from Tokyo Sports, Suwama declared emergency talk with management. And to De-Akiyama the AJPW,  so we'll see what happens next later.

Big, Fortune Dream-style six man announced for the AJPW Aoki memorial show:

Violent Giants & Shigehiro Irie vs Kento, Jake, & Yuji Okabayashi

Edited by Control

NOAH:
Shiozaki vs Marufuji for the GHC is next.

Hideki Suzuki will rejoin Sugiura-gun.

Kiyomiya vs Muto is set.

Looks like Sekine may not be brought back.

NOAH is basically money pro-wrestling at this point.  Older more expensive natives instead of gaijins.

AJP:

Seigo Tachibana lost his hair.
Yusuke Okada will face Yoshitatsu for the tv title.

Zero 1:

Andy Wu will participate at the August 2 show in Korakuen Hall.

Had always been curious about this and had never been able to find it so lo and behold someone uploaded it to Dailymotion in super high def quality. This is really not a match that benefits from being viewed in high definition. I'd always heard it really sucked and it is indeed quite a mess. They do literally almost nothing---lots of side headlocks and rest holds---and seem to be calling the match on the fly. Barton goofs up a few things and sells weird. Was the final supposed to be Mutoh vs Kawada and Kawada got hurt? I know the semi final between Barton and Kawada ran really short but I assumed that was because they didn't want Barton to blow up in the main event. Man I like Mutoh well enough but he was such a dick during this period. Booked himself on top and held down everyone else, even his boy Kojima. Barton works the match as a babyface so I guess Mutoh was still considered an outsider heel at this juncture? Or maybe they figured Barton was such an underdog to win they would work the match with him on the defensive? Either way it's 9 minutes and 50 seconds long which is barely enough time o get heat on anything, although admittedly the crowd pops huge for the Shining Wizard and moonsault. If they were only going to go 9:50 why not just have Bart KO him with a flurry of strikes and go from there---than at least he gets over and doesn't just seem like a random guy for Mutoh to beat. Oof. Did Mutoh even know the history of the Carny when he booked this to go so short? A whole decade+ of classic finals between some of the best workers of all time and then he gives us this whole lot of nothing? Anyway it's worth watching as a curiosity and because we all probably have 10 minutes to spare to see a high profile Mike Barton match but it really isn't any good at all (probably still better than Kojima vs Arashi from the finals the following year). 

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
i accidentally capitalized a w
  • Like 2

Kawada hurt his knee quite early in the tournament. The semi-final was actually Barton over Tenryu. I remember seeing this when it was new and being just bitterly disappointed as a long time All Japan fan. Even as a chance to try and make a new star in Barton, it was just handled all wrong and it didn't work at all. I don't remember any details on the very short semi final though. I've honestly tried to block this ever happening out of my wrestling memory.

• Like 1

Ahhhh that makes sense, I knew I remembered Kawada presumably being the guy going to the final but I forgot he got hurt so early in the tour. I wonder if he was even supposed to win given that Mutoh had already beat him in their singles match a little while before. This one and the tournament where Mutoh went over Sasaki in the end (again, presumably because Kawada got hurt!...poor Tosh) feel like the lowpoints of Carny history for me; just the senseless refusal to shed light on ANYONE besides Mutoh. At least the Kojima/Arashi thing was something different even if it was a dud match (and did more for Arashi than this match did for Barton, even if it really didn't do a whole lot for Kojima). 

Ironically despite all my bemoaning the fact that Kawada never won a post-NOAH CC, the Mutoh Carny victory I have the *least* problem with was when he went over Kawada in the finals in 2007, since there wasn't really anyone else who needed the win at that point and it more just served as a reminder that Mutoh was still a TC threat. 

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
typo

With all the other weirdness in the world, I haven’t really had time to process the weirdness of Jun Akiyama being scheduled into the second or third match of every DDT card.

• Like 1

AJPW:

Suwama and Shuji wants to change up AJP,  how...I don't know yet. The booking and training are already somewhat different.

NOAH:

Hitoshi Kumano is done with wrestling indefinitely.  So NOAH's contracted roster shrinks down to 22 members.

Seems Go and Kaito will be the Cyber Agent era Aces going forward, the other failed aces are demoted to winning only the red belt for now.

Lidet speculation :

Lidet Produce.. maybe the core roster could be El Hijo, Kaz Hayashi, Kazushi Sakuraba, Kazuyuki Fujita, Kendo Kashin, Nosawa Rongai, Takashi Sugiura, Rene Dupree, Hideki Suzuki. Something to be annouched during Aug.

Pro Wrestling Masters :  Seems it's finished.

Edited by D.Z