DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2020

Control

AJPW :

Koji Iwamoto won the Junior title. Dan Tamura will face Koji Iwamoto next.

Zeus & Izanagi will challenge for the All Asias's.

Suwama won the ultimate 5 crown battle. Japanese twitter really loved the match.

Suwama and Shuji vs Kento and Ikeman for the world tags.

I am guessing Champion Carnival could be single elimination or just less guys.

Single elimination Carny this year wouldn't be a bad idea. Could give an underdog a shot at the finals without having to put him over all the top guys (a la Omori in 2000). 

The question is who? Yuma Aoyagi? They could even get crazy and pull the switch on one of the really new guys like our young Asunaro Cup winner Tamura?

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
the question is who

9 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Does anyone know what they're calling Kento Miyahara's new stable with Akira Francesca, Jiro Kuroshio and Rising Hatato?

Kento, Handsome, and Akira's Great Adventure (Tentative).  Name may change later, for now just call it Great Adventure for short. 

Yoshitatsu faction is Yoshitatsu Kingdom..

So 6 factions in AJPW now. Increase of the usual 3 booking wise.

Giving Yoshitatsu a faction actually just peels him away from Kento and keeps him out of the main event.

The wind really got knocked out of the sails of Purple Haze, though. Hopefully Irie is back soon and they can do something. AJ hasn’t been successful with a heel faction since, like, RO&D. 

1 hour ago, D.Z said:

Kento, Handsome, and Akira's Great Adventure (Tentative).  Name may change later, for now just call it Great Adventure for short. 

Yoshitatsu faction is Yoshitatsu Kingdom..

So 6 factions in AJPW now. Increase of the usual 3 booking wise.

Who is in Yoshi's stable?

September 1 2020...NOAH and DDT will be under the CyberFight Co Ltd. Complete management integration.  Cost reduction and work efficiency improvement are the reasons why they are doing this. Sanshiro Takagi will be president and Marufuji and Akito are vice presidents.

Both brands will carry on as separate. They plan to run Tokyo Dome jointly someday.

They will aim to become number 1.

Ed5ss3PU8AEhUGD?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by D.Z
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

To be fair I think the Voodoo Murders (popularly misheard as "Voodoo Murderers" for fairly understandable reasons) lasted a good year or two longer than RO&D did and had a much more high profile roster over that time (Doering, Kojima, Suwama). 

VDM was still going on as of last year. I believe it was focused in Z1. Not sure if it still is.

Also tjpw and a number of smaller promotions. Supposedly all companies remain the same with a more efficient (ie smaller) back office. Also seems like wrestlers are taking over evp rolls like aew but maybe I’m not understanding fully. This is all a response to the pandemic and trying to survive. The talks began in April and are just now able to become official. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

To be fair I think the Voodoo Murders (popularly misheard as "Voodoo Murderers" for fairly understandable reasons) lasted a good year or two longer than RO&D did and had a much more high profile roster over that time (Doering, Kojima, Suwama). 

Didn’t they just keep VD alive by bringing in those dudes but not really giving them any significant victories? I might be wrong.

In any event, that’s about 9 years since a real heel stable in AJ. Remember Dark Kingdom? Of course you don’t.

ALSO: concerned by the lack of Shigehiro Irie on the post-quarantine cards. He’s in one absolutely great looking six man, but not aligned with his Purple Haze buddies.

Admittedly, he wasn’t lighting up the ring in AJ, but I was hoping for him as Zeus’s longtime big boy tag partner.

Edited by Control
  • Like 1

If they build up over time DDT, NOAH, Ganbare, TJPW at the dome and..they could get alright attendance. Wouldn't expect the show to fully sell out however, so around 23 000 or 19 000.

CyberFight eventually wants to overtake NJPW. 

That's nice that they have goals but they are a decade away from probably even realistically challenging unless BOTH Kiyomiya really catches on and NJPW suffers a significant downturn in business once Naito and Tanahashi are no longer draws. I don't see either of those things happening but I haven't watched Kiyomiya in a while, so maybe he's come on leaps and bounds since then. A better goal would be for DDT to beat out Dragon Gate in attendance regularly. 

TNA was very poorly run and poorly booked,  plus most fans in the west accepted WWE as the only real top place to be back then.

Anyway NJPW was once smaller in the Yukes era... then BushiRoad bought out NJPW and pumped more money in the promotion. BushiRoad used advertising and more tv and several other ways to help boost NJPW to create new fans.  More new fans came to see the promotion and stayed for the talent in ring. CyberAgent just needs to do the same.

Attendance is tricky with multiple brands but combined they could out do DG if this covid thing passes. But at the same time they are looking at other ways to increase their business...online video stuff, more merch, special shows etc. At start (CyberFight) their business will be more about expanding their revenue first.

I don't think they will overtake NJPW as number 1, that's just hyperbole. If they're not gonna land national tv deal like NJPW has then they're below NJPW for good.  But it's possible they could be the strong number 2 under CyberFight over time.

Edited by D.Z

It's the dream of DDT and co to run the dome. NJPW was running the dome for a while without using the Budōkan.  If CyberFight starts using the Budōkan..it would be rented once a year.

For now Sumo Hall is where big shows will be. 

I don't entirely understand how having 4 different promotions is supposed to work exactly so to me this feels like first step in trying to integrate these promotions.

13 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

I don’t really associate NOAH with the dome, anyway. They need to fill the Budōkan first—which Kenoh has been promising for a couple years now.

Almost as if NOAH does not really exist anymore and its now about what Takagi wants.

• Like 1

Multiple brands that work like WWE 's own multiple brands and using the brands power to do big shows. They have to do more rebuilding so this is probably few years from now.

They have no desire to merge 4 brands into one.