DVDVR Message Board

UFC 239: Jones vs. Santos (7/6/2019) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

53 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Man, that was a nice kick knowing that Holm was going to bend right into position. Hell of an adjustment by Nunes, and I'm glad I was wrong. Bravo to OSJ and The Natural.

Cheers, Elsalvajeloco.

Marreta was hobbling so much in round 5 that Jon could have went for an ankle pick (ala Yoel Romero back when he was fighting and living in Germany) and had the easiest takedown in the world. How would he have stopped it?

• Like 2

Man, I really felt going in that Thiago could win this. Then we get that first round and I was really thinking he would take it. And then his knee got all wonky. Even then he was still in the fight.

Askren getting KO'd the way he did was scary as hell, but I'm happy he lost. I'm even happier Nunes won.

2 minutes ago, The Natural said:

CanineJointKittiwake-size_restricted.gif

What a fucking KO this was. 

sprewellrimz and I were texting about Aoki/Nagashima from Dynamite!! 2010 (the mixed rules fight where Aoki ran away in the kickboxing round and got flying kneed in 4 seconds in the MMA round) the other day. I never thought I would see something 100x that especially on a karma level.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

What one thinks of immediately when seeing a flying knee off the bat. Well, that and Yamamoto/Miyata.

The thing is I didn't get to see KID/Miyata or Irvin/Martin live. I got to see both of those (and Aldo/Swanson) as they were happening. Just on a "yeah, this guy may have had this one coming", Askren/Masvidal certainly takes the cake only followed by Aoki getting flattened after pulling some rinky dink bullshit throwing dropkicks and going for takedowns under kickboxing rules.

• Like 1

Dana White is going to be desperate to book Jones against Stipe or Cormier for his next fight after that performance.

It feels like Jones is sort of in a bit of a similar phase Anderson Silva and GSP were at deep into their runs. 

Amanda Nunes and Jorge Masvidal were badass. 

I think that's pretty much it for Luke Rockhold. He did not look good tonight at all. I mean he's a genetic freak, but I think injuries, knockouts and the long layoffs have taken their toll on him. Not saying he has to retire, but this move up to 205 was supposed to be a fresh start for him. Jan Blachowicz is tough, but he hasn't knocked out anyone in five years. His first and last knockout win in the UFC was against Ilir Latifi in 2014.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Oh, Uncle Dana.

I mean... I guess I fucking agree with TheVileOne and feel like they're going to push Jones up to fight the winner of DC/Stipe instead of risking Jones against the no name Brazilian that would do a fraction of the buys. Bullshit that it wasn't close and there's no need for a rematch.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I mean... I guess I fucking agree with TheVileOne and feel like they're going to push Jones up to fight the winner of DC/Stipe instead of risking Jones against the no name Brazilian that would do a fraction of the buys. Bullshit that it wasn't close and there's no need for a rematch.

Listening to Dana in the post fight presser, it sounds like this one did good business so I dunno about it doing a fraction of the buys. Plus, the UFC'S money is guaranteed whether it's 20,000 buys or 2 million buys. It wouldn't matter anyway in this era. 

I mean I could see a rematch down the line if Santos can win 2 or 3 fights in the interim. The problem is even with new guys like Walker, Reyes, and Rakic, you can't be burning through contenders left and right. Even if Marreta wasn't hurt, what would be the impetus to run it back immediately? I don't see this as like a Mayweather vs. Jose Luis Castillo situation where a guy can argue he got robbed and it was the person who won the "bad" decision who probably needed to do the rematch to eliminate all doubt. Marreta landed some really good shots, but he was not running away with in terms of numbers. In addition, I don't see him doing as well as he did tonight knowing Jon and his team are going to watch the tape on this one. Jon was doing shit that intentionally made the fight harder for himself like pulling straight back and not cutting off the cage very well in addition to no real takedown attempts.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

11 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Holly Holm after going 1-4 in UFC title fights is now the biggest one-hit wonder in UFC history. Even bigger than Matt Serra. 

Well you get to be the shittest MMA writer not named Kid Nate so you're breaking records yourself, my friend.

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Not a bad idea by any means. A couple of months of having his dinners thru a straw might give Luke a new perspective on things.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Hotshotting Johnny Walker this soon into a fight with Jones would be a bigger mistake than the time they booked Darren Till against Tyron Woodley. 

Darren Till has been in the UFC since fighters were allowed to still have sponsors. You can't protect him forever. If he was a big draw and could legitimately carry the company down the road, it would be much different since Woodley was sort of an anti-draw. Even in lieu of that, you would be forced to put him in with Woodley or Usman down the road because you need someone to draw and most importantly you want the belt to be a draw. As is, he was just a good fighter in a division LOADED with other good fighters who potentially beat him. He was going to run into someone eventually. That's why I had such a huge problem with how Bellator booked MVP.  There was nothing Page showed in the Lima fight that he didn't show against Evangelista Cyborg and a slew of short order cooks and taxi drivers before that. I know they're getting like 30 million from DAZN, but they couldn't put MVP against someone good before that on Spike/Paramount and pop a decent rating? Page is a very talented dude and they could have build towards a title fight with either Lima or Koreshkov. If he loses, you still got a good rating. Instead, he made his Bellator in 2013 and didn't fight anyone particularly good until 2019. That's fucking sad considering he is 32 and they wasted years of his prime allowing him to box part-time against nobodies (I wanna say for Hayemaker Promotions) and style on absolute jobbers in MMA. Also, I would say there would be a legitimate argument to protect someone like Israel Adesanya more than a Darren Till. Adesanya had already been knocked out badly by Alex Pereira in kickboxing not all that long ago. He's very charismatic and has a very fan pleasing style plus one day you could have this guy headlining shows in Australia, New Zealand, and maybe Nigeria. They chose to carefully build him, but they didn't really protect him because he fought someone super talented like Kelvin Gastelum relatively quickly. And it paid off. Sometimes it works (McGregor/Mendes comes to mind) and sometimes it doesn't work (Florian/Huerta, Thatch/Benson, etc.), but that's why they fight 'em.