DVDVR Message Board

Netflix's The Witcher TV Series

TheVileOne

• 1 month later...

S2 drops tomorrow.

Given how people usually treat Netflix adaptations not going 1:1, since this doesn't seem to follow Blood of Elves at all (which is odd considering just how close S1 followed Sword of Destiny), I expect balanced takes and reviews starting tomorrow.

Well, I didn't care much at all for the movie Netflix did, but I suppose I'll get into that in the Movies thread once I've got another 10 to go through. 

My real concern is that, as much as I'm looking forward to this, I'm going to be watching the entire season with Gritted.  Fucking.  Teeth.  because I cannot STAND Kim Bodnia.  He was easily the worst part of Killing Eve (at least before the terribly dull 3rd season) and he seems like awful casting for Vesemir.  I haven't read the books, so I can't really speak to his importance in the series.  My only major exposures have been S1 and the 3rd video game, as you might imagine.  But even though he barely appears in the game series at all - a few hours of content at most? - it's so crystal-clear he's the heart and soul of the Witchers, and not getting this casting right (or better, at least) is something that is going to grate.

Depending on how close they follow the Kaer Morhen parts of the book (I did go and just read that apparently, they are sticking close, but just showed the different parts for the trailer, I dunno), Vasemir should be in the first couple episodes then that'll be it.

2 episodes in, and somehow Ciri looks way older, even though it's been 2 years inbetween filming.

Also, holy shit I get what Contentious was saying about... kim.. bondna... and... his... delivery...

On 12/17/2021 at 6:07 PM, Contentious C said:

I meant that more for my own emphasis than anything else, but I really can't stand him.

Bodnia was fine in Killing Eve when he was just a support character.  The more prominent his character became, the more than I hated it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, J.T. said:

Bodnia was fine in Killing Eve when he was just a support character.  The more prominent his character became, the more than I hated it.

Yeeeeeeeaap.

Episode 5 has been probably the best of this season so far. But there's always some little detail in each one that reminds me what a fun world it is. Take ep 6. Yen describes her attacker as "some fire fucker". Naturally when she and Geralt run into him later, Henry Cavill slays me with a perfect, laconic delivery of "... Fire fucker?"

Finished the last episode of the season last night. For some reason it felt like things went by a lot faster despite the same numbers of episodes. The sense of time felt slightly off occasionally. That said, I enjoyed the season and am curious to see what comes next.

On 12/19/2021 at 2:58 AM, TheVileOne said:

This season left me rather cold. Such a bad, confusing ending. 

Do you mean the resolution of the Baba Yaga plotline, or the ending ending?  Because if it's the latter,

Spoiler

That's something from the books.  Emhyr was always her father.  Plus, there's a pretty huge hint that that was going to be the big reveal of the season.  Not just how Cahir and Fringilla talked about him constantly, but the bit with Ciri's misleading remembrance of the feast & dance with 20-ish minutes left in the final episode.  Everyone who was actually dead in that scene faded to ash as she came back to the real world and abandoned them.  Emhyr/Duny is the only one of the four who doesn't.

2 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Do you mean the resolution of the Baba Yaga plotline, or the ending ending?  Because if it's the latter,

Hide contents

That's something from the books.  Emhyr was always her father.  Plus, there's a pretty huge hint that that was going to be the big reveal of the season.  Not just how Cahir and Fringilla talked about him constantly, but the bit with Ciri's misleading remembrance of the feast & dance with 20-ish minutes left in the final episode.  Everyone who was actually dead in that scene faded to ash as she came back to the real world and abandoned them.  Emhyr/Duny is the only one of the four who doesn't.

Was that reveal something hinted to back in the first season? I kind of expected it and have no idea why. I never read the books or played through the games and never saw any big spoilers.

Edited by Eivion

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Was that reveal something hinted to back in the first season? I kind of expected it and have no idea why. I never read the books or played through the games and never saw any big spoilers.

Not really, no, but I could be wrong.  I think the only big detail would be Calanthe's extreme reaction to both Nilfgaardians and the idea of him specifically. 

Edited by Contentious C
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

She's Voleith Meir in this show and it was poorly executed and resolved. 

I know who Emhyr is. The way they executed that ending isn't consistent with the books either. It's another subplot they've invented whole cloth by having him kill Francesca's child. Emhyr was not openly expressing that he was Ciri's father either considering his plans for her. Though I imagine that will likely change as well.

Edited by TheVileOne

I'm kinda OK with the mashing of the next 2.5 books together (there was a lot of early filler in Blood of Elves).

I'm not entirely thrilled by the changes in Yen's storyline, but we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the finale. I've never liked Yen so I didn't care about the changes to her character. 

Those changes don't make me like her any more or less. 

I thought the season was fine, but the very, very end left me pretty confused. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/5/2022 at 10:46 PM, Craig H said:

Just finished the finale. I've never liked Yen so I didn't care about the changes to her character. 

Those changes don't make me like her any more or less. 

I thought the season was fine, but the very, very end left me pretty confused. 

Probably because they made it up. 

23 hours ago, Raziel said:

Emphyr = Duny.  Thats always been there (now do they go the FULL route with that story,  well...)

Pretty much everything else in S2 either was made up or changed a TON to fit in.

Spoiler

I doubt they are going to acknowledge that Emhyr's plan is to wed and impregnate his own daughter to birth an heir who will save the world from the White Frost. Even on Netflix. In the books, Emhyr's relationship with Ciri was kept murky to the public. In S2 finale, he openly acknowledge Ciri is his daughter.

Edited by TheVileOne

• 8 months later...