DVDVR Message Board

The ROH Thread

Nah, the constipated gimmick belongs to Randy Orton. That's why he always makes that angry face and punches the mat before he goes for his finisher.

MsChif is Daffney's not-so-crazy/much-more angry sister. With more movez.

I've always thought BJ was garbage, but he did have some amazing matches with Jimmy Jacobs. The storyline was solid and the heat for their matches was off the chain. Of course, most of it stems from that blown turnbuckle spot that looked like death.

If you ever make a list of the 10 best brawls in RoH history, Whitmer is in a good 5 of them.

Would bringing in a disgruntled veteran tag team of Kid Kash and Christian York be the worst idea ever? Sure, they're close to the end of their careers and I wouldn't put them anywhere near the main event. But I think they still have something to offer. And the ROH roster is in desperate need of some veteran leadership.

One of my favorite things about ROH back in the day, was that they had guys who were vets like Carnage Crew who weren't "Indy Workrate Darlings".
Fucking aye my friend.Honestly, the thing RoH did so well back in their day I'm just realizing now is they gave you everything. Reborn: Stage 1 for an example. You want a hate filled brawl? Whitmer vs. Cabana. Want a bunch of well worked chain wrestling? Nigel vs. Stryker. Want some cool high spots? Six Man Mayhem. And that's just the undercard.RoH's roster used to be so damn diverse, and everyone fit. Bah.

It's crazy to think about how great the Whitmer/Jacobs ROH stuff was and then realize that they had even better matches in IWA MS. Whitmer really got the shit end of the stick during his first ROH tenure. He had so much momentum as this walking tall bad ass babyface after the cage match with Jacobs, and then he gets put in possibly the worst stable of all time with the Hangmen 3. I seriously cannot think of anything more boring than Adam Pearce, Brent Albright and BJ Whitmer as no nonsense heels. 

Adam Pearce is one of the worst ROH regulars ever. I never thought he belonged there.Can this tourney please end with Low-Ki or even Homicide attacking the winner? This roster needs something...

100% agreed. I always found Pearce to be ridiculously boring. Almost always skipped over his matches on the DVDs.

I always though Whitmer's biggest problem was his name.  "B.J. Whitmer" always sounded like the name of a guy who should be a TV jobber in the 1980s:

Howard Finkel: "... from Parts Unknown, the ULTIMATE WARRIOR!!!!!!

And his opponent, currently in the ring, B.J. Whitmer!"

-------------------

Tony Schiavone: "...alright, six-man tag team action with The Midnight Express and Big Bubba.  Their opponents are already in the ring, it's gonna be George South, The Italian Stallion, and B.J. Whitmer...and OH, just like that it's over!  Double Goozle on Whitmer and that gets the pin in just 15 seconds.  Big Bubba and the Midnight Express, your winners."

• Like 2

People are missing the real "Whitmer has shitty luck" game: he got hurt right after the CZW fued, when he was the main focus of the RoH force.

I can't be the only one who thought Whitmer siding with Cide over his fellow "good ol boys" Cornette, Pearce and the Briscoes would have been cool as shit right?

Good god that Delirious and Jacobs vs. Maff and Whitmer tag match is one of RoH's lost matches. An amazing "squash but not squash". Up there with Jacobs vs. Shelley I Quit, Roderick and Jack vs. Special K, and Aries vs. Nigel vs. Romero vs. Rave 4CS as my "cool shit nobody remembers.

Possibly my favorite "cool shit nobody remembers" match from ROH is Alex Shelley vs. Claudio Castagnoli, the opening match from This Means War.

• Like 1

I'd have to give it a re watch, but i remember really liking the Danielson/Jacobs match from Unscripted III. Another unheralded undercard match that I haven't seen in years but I always got a kick out of was Necro v. Jack Evans. 

Good God, those belts are worse than the last set of tag belts they had. Are the World and TV title belts still ugly as sin?

They have new belts for those too. The TV title is an improvement, but I don't like the World belt.They should have just stuck with the 2nd world belt they had from Joe until (IIRC) Black.
  • Like 1

Big news from the TV taping:

The tag "Proving Ground" match was changed to a tag title match, then the Forever Hooligans defeated reDRagon and are the new tag team champions.

Posted Image

I like this.

https://soundcloud.com/azucarroc/hooligans-never-say-die-rocky

FOREVER TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The kings are back, so watch ya thrown, even Meltzer wildin' out, in his home!!!!!!!!

Good God, those belts are worse than the last set of tag belts they had

Think that's a bad ass design myself

Good god that Delirious and Jacobs vs. Maff and Whitmer tag match is one of RoH's lost matches. An amazing "squash but not squash". Up there with Jacobs vs. Shelley I Quit, Roderick and Jack vs. Special K, and Aries vs. Nigel vs. Romero vs. Rave 4CS as my "cool shit nobody remembers.

Possibly my favorite "cool shit nobody remembers" match from ROH is Alex Shelley vs. Claudio Castagnoli, the opening match from This Means War.

On the random but cool forgotten shit list for me

Lethal vs Claudio vs Nigel vs Davey Andrews from the 2nd Kobashi show

Nosawa vs Kikutaru vs BJ Whitmer vs Nigel - 10/05

AJ Styles & Matt Sydal vs Abyss & Jimmy Rave - 11/05
Maff & Whitmer vs Carnage Crew vs The Outcast Killaz vs Dunn & Marcos - 12/04
Puma & Jimmy Rave vs Austin Aries & Roderick Strong - 8/05

I don't know how forgotten this is or if it's even aged that well but the Generation Next show was pretty solid as a whole.  The 8 man tag main event (Gen Next vs. The Briscoes, Jimmy Rave, John Walters) was especially good.