DVDVR Message Board

2018 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Hmm, it's been an eternity since we've seen Cain and who the fuck knows what he looks like at this stage. Is this the same story as Ngannou/Blaydes? Takedown defence works = great success? Or does Cain's boxing keep him in it?

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Hmm, it's been an eternity since we've seen Cain and who the fuck knows what he looks like at this stage. Is this the same story as Ngannou/Blaydes? Takedown defence works = great success? Or does Cain's boxing keep him in it?

I think Javy Mendez knows they can't fuck around. My thing is Cain would be 2 1/2 years out of the cage between Travis Browne and fighting Ngannou. Even with the former, it's hard to tell how much of Cain was still left coming off a long hiatus then and the fact that 60% Cain Velasquez is good enough to beat Travis Browne. In my mind, if this was five years ago, I would reconcile it as looking like the last two Junior dos Santos fights. However, I believe JDS in any era is different than Ngannou. My belief is that a younger Junior dos Santos benefited from how bad UFC heavyweights were at the time at rudimental boxing or facing lesser opponents on the downslide like Gilbert Yvel and Gabriel Gonzaga. I don't he ever had this ungodly power that made me believe if Cain can't take him down, Cain can't compete at all. I think the reason I picked Dos Santos in the second fight (I threw the result of the 1st fight out given the circumstances in hindsight going into that fight) just because I felt it would play out like for example McGregor-Mendes played out and the fact we never saw Cain in his short MMA career besides maybe Kongo for brief moments where it was a competitive back and forth fight. Turns out we wouldn't see it until the time Cain fought Werdum and decided to wait until the last minute to go to Mexico City to get use to the elevation. I say all that to say I can think of different scenarios of where Ngannou grazes Cain on the temple or the jaw, Cain goes jellylegged, and the fight gets inevitably stopped. I think it's way too easy to believe Cain will return and just be this physical menace because his opponent has a grappling deficiency.

More official bouts for upcoming cards:

- UFC on ESPN+ in Fortaleza 2/2: Jose Aldo vs. Renato Moicano

- UFC on ESPN in Phoenix 2/17: Andre Fili vs. Myles Jury, Scott Holtzman vs. Nik Lentz, & Renan Barao vs. Luke Sanders

- UFC 235 in Las Vegas 3/2: Diego Sanchez vs. Mickey Gall

9 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

More official bouts for upcoming cards:

- UFC on ESPN+ in Fortaleza 2/2: Jose Aldo vs. Renato Moicano

- UFC on ESPN in Phoenix 2/17: Andre Fili vs. Myles Jury, Scott Holtzman vs. Nik Lentz, & Renan Barao vs. Luke Sanders

- UFC 235 in Las Vegas 3/2: Diego Sanchez vs. Mickey Gall

I kind of thing all of those fights are pretty much the exact right fights for all of those guys.

Aldo probably beats Moicano, but Moicano is at the point of his career where he needs to figure out if he's a contender or a gatekeeper.  Aldo, probably smashes him, because he's Jose Aldo...but Moicano should be peaking right now and Aldo should be on the decline.  The problem is even a declining Jose Aldo still hits like a ton of bricks and has the best takedown defense of all time.  Moicano is pillow fisted, and needs to get this fight to the ground to win.  That's a terrible matchup for Moicano...unless he wins.

Diego Sanchez vs. Mickey Gall is kind of an unexpectedly interesting fight.  Sanchez is a crazy person, but Mickey Gall's game kind of plays directly into Sanchez's biggest strengths.  Gall vs. Sanchez is a really good fight if it's a grappling match...I really don't need to see them brawl like idiots though.  With that said, I fully expect them to brawl like idiots.

Andre Fili vs. Myles Jury for the title of 21st best featherweight in the world.  Holtzman vs. Lentz is a "these dudes are too good and too old to give an up and comer, so let them fight each other" match.  Barao vs. Sanders is a loser leaves town match.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2018 at 8:40 AM, The Natural said:

Great news if this turns out to be right:

This is now official.

Also, ONE Championship is streaming on Bleacher Report and the TV deal component is Turner Sports airing 12 one hour fight digests or compilations during the year.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

I think she's screwed in the matchup but I hope she wins. 

Evinger to Holm is a big jump. Not as big a jump as Megan Anderson's opposition in Invicta to Holm but somewhat close.

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

so Rizin announced they'll be streaming Rizin14 on FiteTV.............without the Tenshin/Mayweather bout. what?

Well the original holdup supposedly was Floyd didn't know that this exhibition would be broadcast. I'm assuming as part his deal with Showtime is exclusivity with them as far as U.S. rights go. Showtime doesn't do MMA let alone a weird quasi exhibition boxing bout thrown on a MMA show in the middle of the night. I figured that was going to happen. 

UFC is invading Bellator country and doing their ESPN+ card on 3/9 in Wichita, Kansas at Intrust Bank Arena.

Also, Volkan Oezdemir vs. Dominick Reyes is in the early stages of being made for the 3/16 card in London.