DVDVR Message Board

2018 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Yair Rodriguez is stepping in for Frankie Edgar against Chan Sung Jung on the 25th anniversary card in Denver. Edgar suffered a biceps injury but can return at the beginning of next year and doesn't need surgery.

Damn. I was looking forward to that fight and Frankie Edgar is one of my favourite fighters.

I like how the last guy in the UFC 232 presser asked about Brock winning at Crown Jewel like Dana actually follows pro wrestling. Also, 15 minutes earlier, another guy asked about Brock flying all the way from SAUDI ARABIA to NYC like Brock Lesnar of all people is willing to make that trip. These people.

I cannot and likely will never shake Gustafsson squirming and running for dear life after taking that first Anthony Johnson shot in Sweden all those years ago. I don't think he's at the same level he was at the first Jones fight. He was great in the DC fight for the most part though, so I don't know if I'm being fair. Maybe it's just because he's always injured.

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I cannot and likely will never shake Gustafsson squirming and running for dear life after taking that first Anthony Johnson shot in Sweden all those years ago. I don't think he's at the same level he was at the first Jones fight. He was great in the DC fight for the most part though, so I don't know if I'm being fair. Maybe it's just because he's always injured.

It's hard to say with Gustafsson. He looked phenomenal against Teixeira but Glover also made Corey Anderson look good and is now old even by Light Heavyweight and Heavyweight standards.

However, one thing I don't get is Meltzer being insistent that Gustafsson is the only one who could beat Jones. I also don't get Dave saying that Mayweather can longer compete with the top P4P now but that's an entirely different story.

Anyway, given how tit for tat the second Jones vs. Cormier fight went, I would say DC has a better chance. I think Rumble being a common opponent is sort of an outlier because Rumble could hurt and stop anyone. However, it does illustrate how tough DC is and how you have to land one hell of strike to put him away. To be honest, all these guys are long in the tooth since I remember watching Gustafsson fight in Sweden pre UFC years and years ago. So father time is going to more involved in the outcomes then when we saw the original matchups years back. It also doesn't help Jon's inactivity showed up in the OSP and Cormier fight. Even then I feel confident in Jones over Gustafsson because Jones beat the crap out of OSP still and got better as the fight progressed in the Cormier rematch.

Not to take anything away from Gus because he can compete at the top level. He has managed to stay a perennial top light heavyweight. I just don't expect Gus to look like prime Evander Holyfield like he did in his last fight.

Seriously? Why ship out Demetrious Johnson now if they're dumping the division in less than two months? Were they waiting for him to lose before they cancelled his title? Because now he's lost the belt to Cejudo, finally there's a bit of intrigue to the division. But sure, let some other promotion reap the rewards of that.

It's not like when they cut female fighters where they're just transferring them to Invicta. They closed the WEC because they didn't want to own a B promotion as well. Different owners, I know. Do they think they're going to somehow bankrupt Bellator or OneFC by flooding the market with high price low value fighters, that they pay huge to sign and then can't recoup the costs because they can't draw with them?

32 minutes ago, AxB said:

Seriously? Why ship out Demetrious Johnson now if they're dumping the division in less than two months? Were they waiting for him to lose before they cancelled his title? Because now he's lost the belt to Cejudo, finally there's a bit of intrigue to the division. But sure, let some other promotion reap the rewards of that.

It's not like when they cut female fighters where they're just transferring them to Invicta. They closed the WEC because they didn't want to own a B promotion as well. Different owners, I know. Do they think they're going to somehow bankrupt Bellator or OneFC by flooding the market with high price low value fighters, that they pay huge to sign and then can't recoup the costs because they can't draw with them?

No because I think a good majority of these guys are going to like Titan, LFA, Brave FC, Fight Nights, or smaller regional companies where they're from whether it's CFFC, Ring of Combat, CES, etc. And if they do go to ONE, it's to lose to someone they want built up.

I think the problem is they had the flyweight division for so long and didn't produce anyone except DJ, Cejudo, and Benavidez and really no one else of note. I think there are plenty of quality fighters at 125 but honestly, most of them will never be at championship level. Moreno, Sergio Pettis, Dustin Ortiz, and Deiveson Figueiredo are exciting fighters, but I don't think they ever win a UFC title.  Not if the baseline is Demetrious Johnson or Henry Cejudo or the consistency of a Jussier Formiga or in the recent past Joseph Benavidez. They signed several fighters or put energy behind several fighters who never panned out (Moreno, Bibulatov, Pantoja to a lesser degree, Sergio Pettis, the recently released Shorty Torres) that once DJ turned down those Dillashaw fights or any superfight, the doomsday clock for the division began.

I think the women's divisions are going to given way more leeway because Ronda's run and to a certain extent, Cyborg's PPVs and the rating for the Lansberg fight doing better than expected. With flyweight, all the guys they want back will come back at 135 and all the guys who just kinda were around are gone. You won't miss most of those guys.