Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Raziel said:

EVERYONE!  The Yakuza guys went and made a Private Eye Noir game in modern Japan and somehow did it in secret and I'm totally getting it!

Voyeur torture racks, undercover Draculas, and Pokemon Snap but instead of Pokemon it's perverts you're capturing on film. What else could you need for a great game?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

That was a lot of typing that dodged talking about how the soundtrack of Dragon Quest XI is an abomination against nature.

take that up with the noted piece of shit composer of DQ: he forces the western ports to use weird MIDI transposes of orchestrations because he wont license his work for use outside the US because he's Such A Nice Old Japanese Man.

EDIT: also, square game. not a sony game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, Peter getting excited about busting up drug deals is, um, quaint. 

I mean, I'd hope he skips over the weed drug deals and just targets people selling crack and heroin, at least. Maybe he can beat up a few drug pushers in doctor's offices in Spidey 2. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Yeah, Peter getting excited about busting up drug deals is, um, quaint. 

I mean, I'd hope he skips over the weed drug deals and just targets people selling crack and heroin, at least. Maybe he can beat up a few drug pushers in doctor's offices in Spidey 2. 

Did anyone else get the bit of dialog where he talks about how much he enjoys beating up drug dealers?  I don't even have an issue about him busting up drug deals, but celebrating how much he enjoys it when there are dudes driving bombs around the city, randomly shooting rocket launchers, and taking hostages in parking garages...it seems like a misstep.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

Did anyone else get the bit of dialog where he talks about how much he enjoys beating up drug dealers?  I don't even have an issue about him busting up drug deals, but celebrating how much he enjoys it when there are dudes driving bombs around the city, randomly shooting rocket launchers, and taking hostages in parking garages...it seems like a misstep.  

Yep, he has some dialog that is really out of step with the rest of the game, which is all about homelessness and gentrification and right-wing nutbar-ism and wealthy people gaining office because of their wealth and fame and then doing corrupt-ass shit. Definite misstep.

Speaking of missteps, I loved the Riddler question mark perspective puzzles in the Arkham games, but Spider-Man has a mission where this idea is duplicated poorly. Real bummer, as I typically always have time for perspective puzzles, whether sprinkled throughout a game, or as in the case of The Witness, the whole game itself. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/10/2018 at 11:49 PM, Smelly McUgly said:

There are a lot of open-world 3D platformers? Please name them. 😛

On the other hand, not a week goes by on the Switch eShop store with about eleventy-billion 2D platformers coming out.

Lol, I've never looked at the Switch store.  I own 9 consoles, but nothing more recent than the original Xbox/PS2.  

Right now, I'm deep into PS1 side scrollers.  The first Klonoa game, Oddworld, original Rayman, Skullmonkeys, etc.

The are so many games from the 4th.  5th, 6th generation that I want to play or collect that I may never get to the 7th & 8th generations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Player One said:

Lol, I've never looked at the Switch store.  I own 9 consoles, but nothing more recent than the original Xbox/PS2.  

Right now, I'm deep into PS1 side scrollers.  The first Klonoa game, Oddworld, original Rayman, Skullmonkeys, etc.

The are so many games from the 4th.  5th, 6th generation that I want to play or collect that I may never get to the 7th & 8th generations.

Ah, I see. In that context, what you're saying makes more sense. The GBA (and later, the DS) was really the only console that focused on 2D platformers during this era. 

I'd suggest Mischief Makers on N64 if you've not played it yet, by the way. Dope game.

If you like 2D platformers, though, you're missing out by not owning a modern console. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Ah, I see. In that context, what you're saying makes more sense. The GBA (and later, the DS) was really the only console that focused on 2D platformers during this era. 

I'd suggest Mischief Makers on N64 if you've not played it yet, by the way. Dope game.

If you like 2D platformers, though, you're missing out by not owning a modern console. 

Yeah, Mischief Makers is great.   In general, I'm a big fan of Treasure.  They had some great platformers fall between the cracks (Dynamite Heddy, Silhouette Mirage, Stretch Panic for the PS2, etc.

What later consoles/2D platform games should I be looking at?  I'm open to suggestions.  I've kinda mildly considered the Wii and/or Switch for the Mario Games, DK, and Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Player One said:

Yeah, Mischief Makers is great.   In general, I'm a big fan of Treasure.  They had some great platformers fall between the cracks (Dynamite Heddy, Silhouette Mirage, Stretch Panic for the PS2, etc.

What later consoles/2D platform games should I be looking at?  I'm open to suggestions.  I've kinda mildly considered the Wii and/or Switch for the Mario Games, DK, and Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

I'd suggest a Switch if you're into 2D platformers since Nintendo is the only major company that still cares about the genre now that UbiSoft seems less than interested in the Rayman IP (sadly, since Legends is one of the best games that I've ever played). 

Just a quick list of like 2D platformers worth playing on Switch that I have played:

  • DKC: Tropical Freeze
  • Sonic Mania
  • Celeste
  • Mutant Mudds Collection
  • Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition
  • Splasher
  • Mega Man Legacy Collection 1+2
  • Mighty Gunvolt Burst

There are a fuckton more of them, though, many acclaimed. 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, AxB said:

@Andrew POE! You may have 107 more platinums than me, but I've got two you'll never get. And they're both GTA V. Seriously, the online ones are probably impossible at this point. Freemode is a slaughterhouse.

Yeah, I had every intention to do the online trophies for GTA V but I had other stuff come up.

PS3 online trophies for GTA V are doable except for "Ride Like The Wind." Rockstar turned off the bounty system for the game due to rampant hacking. PS4 version is still obtainable.

I guess that's a challenge lol and I need to Platinum either one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/16/2018 at 8:08 PM, Player One said:

Does anyone remember what the best arcade sticks for PS2 fighting games?

I've never bought an arcade stick, but I kinda want to get a good one (probably off eBay, given that the age of the PS2).

Price isn't really a consideration.  Just wondering what a good third-party stick would be.

HORI is pretty much the company for arcade sticks so I'd go with them. I did a quick search online and found this, but you're going to pay a shit ton for shipping from Japan.

https://www.ebay.com/i/401427829578?chn=ps

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So my wife and I are getting Nintendo Switch online today.  I don't care for online gameplay but will admit that having NES games on demand should make it rather worthwhile.  Not sure if I feel a huge need to pay $60 for two NES controllers but if we end up really getting into the NES games then sure.  Would be nice to play these again though I have been considering a Retron-style machine to play the originals.  And speaking of Switch @Player One there's a crapton of games that would be right up your alley.  If you're in the market for a newer console then Switch would be the way to go.

As for Spiderman I really want to get it but with Fire Pro taking up the bulk of my gaming time I can wait until  Black Friday.  I'm certain it'll be on sale and at worst I'll just ask for it for Birthday/Christmas.  But from what I've seen of it it looks absolutely outstanding. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Think I'm going to start concentrating on collecting platformers.  I have most of the major fighting game franchises on some system or other, a good puzzle game collection, the major action adventure titles like God of War and Zelda, a deep RPG library.

I have a lot of great platformers, but have some huge gaps.  Don't have any of the 2D Sonic games.  Don't have the NES Super Mario Bros. games.  Don't have a lot of the second tier platformers like the Rocket Knight Games, Skullmonkeys, Oddworld, the N64 3D Bomberman games, etc.  

That's going to be my focus for the next 6-12 months. 

To that end, just bought Napple Tales for the Dreamcast, Super Bonk 2 for SNES (Japan exclusive) and Bomberman Hero for N64. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • RIPPA locked and unpinned this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...