DVDVR Message Board

Bellator, PFL, RIZIN, Glory, and LFA Thread (With 100% More Cages Suspended From Above Like Wrestling Edition)

Elsalvajeloco

Just now, Kevin Wilson said:

Bellator was hyping Heather Hardy, but she just had her face explode courtesy of a kick from Kristina Williams so I guess that dream is dead.

She got beat up the entire fight. Hardy isn't going to beat anyone who isn't willing to be a stationary target. That's pretty much it.

Well that was interesting.  I just got in from Bellator.  It was my first live MMA event.  Lots of fun.  Hardy's nose exploding had many folks in shock and they showed the kick on replay over and over each time with a collective "OHHHHHHHHHHHH" 

Hardy didn't look good even before that happened.   Also,  Mousasi by decision.  Don't know about that.  Fight was nearly stopped by the medical professional.  I don't think it was necessarily highway robbery but I will say that nobody left impressed by that Mousasi performance. 

Holy shit balls:

The sound and reaction make this a fringe KO of the year contender in my mind, though it wasn't a one punch deal.

Just going off that round, Kunchenko doesn't have much in the way of defense and his takedown attempts were not good but THE POWER. 

• Like 1

Richard Odoms with that rolling keylock (actually I thought it was a kimura) just a minute ago in LFA was slick as hell. Somebody working pro needs to steal that.

EDIT: Wow, Hughes won the heavyweight title by decision in his first televised and ninth professional fight. I'll be damned. Honestly I could have gone with either guy. 

RIZIN revealed Gabriel Oliveira who KO'd Tatsuya Kawajiri on the last event will be the Wild Card that will face Kyoji Horiguchi in the RIZIN BW GP quarterfinals.

Anthony Birchak vs. Jae Hoon Moon will face each other in the GP alternate bout.

They also announced Jiří Procházka vs. Karl Albrektsson for either the December 29th or December 31st card.

15 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Richard Odoms with that rolling keylock (actually I thought it was a kimura) just a minute ago in LFA was slick as hell. Somebody working pro needs to steal that.

EDIT: Wow, Hughes won the heavyweight title by decision in his first televised and ninth professional fight. I'll be damned. Honestly I could have gone with either guy. 

Apparently, a fighter on the prelims named CJ Hancock medically died last night after passing out and had to be revived in the ambulance. Hancock got on Facebook afterwards and said it was from a bad weight cut and the doctors told him he can't ever fight again. Hancock lost his fight prior to passing out via body kick.

Texas, ladies and gentlemen.

RIZIN has added Jiří Procházka vs. Karl Albrektsson and KING Reina vs. Cindy Dandois for December 29th and Shinju Nozawa Auclair vs. Chelsea LaGrasse II for NYE.

Assuming that I was the only one watching CES 47 yesterday, y'all may have missed a glimpse of something special... Write down "John Douma" on a piece of paper and seal it in an envelope for one year. Let's have a look 12/1/18 and see what's what. I think this kid is someone well-worth watching.

RIZIN are currently in talks with Bob Sapp and Takanori Gomi. The idea is to have Sapp fight an up and coming fighter so he can get the rub of beating Sapp.

Yusuke Yachi called out Gomi some weeks ago and he's currently undefeated in RIZIN with his biggest wins being over Cruickshank and Kitaoka, so he would benefit from a win over Gomi.

Amir Aliakbari said he's fighting for RIZIN on NYE.

11 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Any one of us on this message board could beat Sapp since he takes dives now. I dunno how much of a rub he still gives these days.

Forget that... I wanna see Gomi vs. Sapp. Somebody has to win (I think).

10 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Any one of us on this message board could beat Sapp since he takes dives now. I dunno how much of a rub he still gives these days.

Sapp is a huge star in Japan.

One of the most seen combat sports fights in Japan was Sapp vs. Akebono.

RIZIN ratings peaked at their highest when Sapp fought Akebono on the RIZIN 2015 NYE card.

Whoever beats him in the RIZIN ring will get a huge rub.

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

RIZIN ratings peaked at their highest when Sapp fought Akebono on the RIZIN 2015 NYE card.

Right.

53 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Right.

Sarcasm?

It's hard to sense sarcasm online, but this has been a known fact and I'm sure you're aware of that Bob Sapp has drawn some crazy ratings on Japanese TV...

29 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Sarcasm?

It's hard to sense sarcasm online, but this has been a known fact and I'm sure you're aware of that Bob Sapp has drawn some crazy ratings on Japanese TV...

Yes, I am sure Kevin is aware as well. We get that RIZIN likes to revisit nostalgia. I think it's that the uniqueness and novelty of Bob Sapp to anyone who isn't Japanese has worn off (or worn thin) since he went on his infamous Dive World Tour five years back. So anything Bob Sapp (or anyone who hasn't been relevant in several years and/or well beyond their drawing or fighting prime) related is likely going to be met with apathy at best here.  

3 hours ago, Edwin said:

I get that Sapp WAS a huge star in Japan and is a name many still know, but what was his last loss that gave someone a rub? Edson França? Jong Dae Kim? Tolegen Akylbekov? He still has some freakshow appeal which can give a ratings bump, but that doesn't mean that beating him will give that fighter any type of advancement in his career. Maybe if they knock Sapp unconscious for the highlight reel, but Sapp generally doesn't even dive in an interesting fashion, it just leaves people shaking their heads.

I mean if Mike Tyson had a comeback fight on PPV next month, people would buy it and watch it because its Mike Tyson, but it doesn't mean the boxer that beat him would suddenly be elevated. Most fans are smart enough to know whats up, they may enjoy the spectacle of it but once the spectacle is over, that's it. They don't then necessarily turn into fans of the fighter that beat the washed up name fighter. I'll watch Sapp fight too because its somehow very engrossing, but I doubt I'll remember his opponent's name the day after.

4 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I get that Sapp WAS a huge star in Japan and is a name many still know, but what was his last loss that gave someone a rub? Edson França? Jong Dae Kim? Tolegen Akylbekov? He still has some freakshow appeal which can give a ratings bump, but that doesn't mean that beating him will give that fighter any type of advancement in his career. Maybe if they knock Sapp unconscious for the highlight reel, but Sapp generally doesn't even dive in an interesting fashion, it just leaves people shaking their heads.

I mean if Mike Tyson had a comeback fight on PPV next month, people would buy it and watch it because its Mike Tyson, but it doesn't mean the boxer that beat him would suddenly be elevated. Most fans are smart enough to know whats up, they may enjoy the spectacle of it but once the spectacle is over, that's it. They don't then necessarily turn into fans of the fighter that beat the washed up name fighter. I'll watch Sapp fight too because its somehow very engrossing, but I doubt I'll remember his opponent's name the day after.

If it's a local fight like ROAD FC in Korea, he probably did serve his purpose as a jobber much like KSW bringing people in to lose to Michal Materla, Pudz, Khalidov, or whatever psuedo Polish celeb/strongman.

My thing is (1) if you're actively throwing fights or generally seem not to give a damn about taking it seriously , there is only so much I can care about you fighting. So I'm putting in the same amount of enthusiasm into this as Sapp puts into these fights. Secondly, if Sapp was that valuable a commodity to the point where whatever Japanese fighter who beats him is automatically a superstar, someone would pony up the money for him to do that in order to resuscitate whatever is left of Japanese MMA. If someone bullshit company in Romania or Bulgaria can pay Sapp, a Japanese or foreign entity can back getting Sapp in to do that several times over. However, Sapp fighting an Akebono is like De La Hoya fighting Julio Cesar Chavez twenty years ago or Floyd fighting Canelo.  You're fighting another comparable draw. Sapp fighting some undersized Japanese heavyweight/light heavyweight is basically what it is was when he was fighting those dudes outside Japan more or less. You get one decent TV number and unless that person is fighting another gimmick (like an Akebono or Baruto) again, less people will care inherently. That's not really a rub as it is a series of inane gimmick fights that anyone outside that general circle of fans who aren't Japanese are not going to care about.