DVDVR Message Board

Gran Cochise, Villano III y Rayo De Jalisco Jr. vs. Fishman, Mocho Cota y Tony Bennetto (11/30/84)

Phil Schneider

• 3 weeks later...

This is a match I liked more and more as it went on.  The rudo mugging in the second fall was great, they were just brutalizing the technicos all over the ring area, especially the Chocise/Cota stuff with Chochise taking some beautiful postings.  Fishman's ending splash was spectacular.  Third fall is great with Chochise mounting a comeback and drawing blood from Cota with his teeth.  Ending stretch totally ruled with an awesome set of dives leading to Chocise and Cota dueling in out in the ring with Cochise picking up a win with an awesome small package counter.  Awesome spirited brawl with some great extended beatdowns and a fantastic ending.

Now that is a fun trios match. Mocho Cota continues to impress as a complete scoundrel. It feels like he's constantly up to something. I love when he ducks behind the apron to sneak to other parts of the ringside area. I love him arguing with old ladies. I like him trying to tell the ref he has been fouled when he very clearly has not. This seems to be building to a Gran Cochisse/Mocho Cota hair match with both of them constantly going after each other. Gran Cochisse's comeback was pretty spectacular and I sort of love how commonplace it is for babyface comebacks during this era to contain guys biting open their opponent's forehead. I liked the way the rudo team controlled the match during most of the chaotic brawling stretches but the tecnicos would dominate individual exchanges in the ring. I love a good Rayo de Jalisco Jr match and his stuff was really fun here. His exchange with Bennetto in the first fall built around Rayo's feints was as good as Rayo gets. Villano III was great as his team's enforcer. it felt like whenever someone from his team was getting cornered Villano III was there to back them up. I don't think this will be a super high ranking match but it was fun enough that I'm sure I'll still remember the best parts when the set is over.

• 2 weeks later...

Mocho Cota’s hair is AWESOME. This guy is like the best scummy looking wrestler ever. He’s pretty great in this too. He opens things up before the bell by plowing Cochise with a punch and knocking him off the apron. This starts with the rudos triple teaming and using isolation tactics but it doesn’t work. We end up getting some strong exchanges with all six guys mixing it up before the tecnicos take the first fall off of sunset flips. Cota is awesome backing away from Cochise after his teammates lose the first fall. He’s such a chicken shit. The second fall rules with Cota stirring shit-up and trying to blindside Cochise at every turn. Both guys take tremendous post bumps in this fall as well. Cochise ends up getting isolated as does Villano III. Jalisco is nowhere to be found and he added absolutely nothing to this match either. Fishman hits a great top rope splash to pin Villano III and take the second fall. The third fall is great with Cota and Cochise brawling all over the place, Cochise bloodying Cota and biting his cut, etc. This lead to an outstanding dive sequence with Cota taking an insane monkey flip to the floor on his teammates and Villano III and Jalisco hitting dives right afterwards. Everyone is counted out except Cochise and Cota. This goes into a really good last few minutes with both guys getting near falls until Cochise catches Cota in a small package off of a body slam for the win. Cota is appropriately pissy in the post-match.

This was grand. Cota was the star in this and was tremendous throughout. Cochise looked great too. I’ll give this around four and one fourth stars. A-. Great trios. 

Mocho Cota immediately gets another mark in my cool book by his hair making me say "you got to be shitting me". Rudos dominate early but the tecnicos come back and there's a funny little bit with Rayo dancing and faking out Benetto. They win the fall and Cota wants nothing to do with Villano and Gran Cochise who scare him out of the ring. He's truly great here, cheap-shotting people, bumping huge into the ring post, ducking down to apron level and racing around the ring to attack the other team on the sly. Fishman hits a huge splash to end segunda caida. Cota talks shit to an old lady at ringside just to amplify his rudo grandeur. He's so great that you totally accept Cochise biting his head open as a face move. This appears to set up a Cota/Cochise hair match that I greatly regret is not on the set. Cota shows so much ass in this and you want to see him served up on a platter. 

• 4 weeks later...

Had more written but I lost it:

Anyway, I thought the first fall was full of fun stuff with the two huge Cota dives (and the awesome Cota hair and jacket), the Villano vs Fishman taunting, and the nicely timed fall.

The second fall seemed brisk to me but I liked the rudo maulings on the outside (and Cochise and Cota going at it on the floor) and the huge splash by Fishman.

The third fall started great with the beating of Villano on the outside and Cota's taunts, then the mauling of Cochise on the inside, followed by his great comeback to rally the troops. I loved Villano dropkicking both guys to break up the mauling since you got the sense that they expected to look up and see their partner and not him flying at them and the crazy dive fest that followed that let us get Cochise and Cota in the middle of the ring. They do some really nice stuff for a couple of minutes before Cochise the small package reversal out of nowhere for the win. 

I didn't think this was even as much of a Cochise/Cota show as the rest of you did. I don't think Rayo de Jalisco did much mind you, but Villano was all over this match too. Cota's dickishness was legendary though. Fun trios match.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, this was pretty great.  First fall had all kinds of stuff going on.  Some brawling, some flying (I guess Rayo de Jalisco was technically "flying" since his feet did appear to just leave the ground).

The second fall has a really nice rudo beatdown.  

This match had one of the most devastating moves I've ever seen.  It's the thing where Cota comes off the top and drives his crotch into his opponents face.  I mean, a dude who looks like Coat (in tighty whiteys no less!) putting his manhood directly into your face.  Then you get driven to the ground.  No thank you, sir!

This is one of the better trios on here so far.  

• 1 month later...

If this isn't the best trios on the set so far, it's pretty fucking close. Immediately I'm thinking who is that in the awesome tunic with the hair, and, of course, it's Mocho Cota, who just keeps on finding new ways to endear himself to me. This was another stellar performance by him, maybe my favourite performance on the whole set so far. As someone else mentioned, he was just always up to something, so that you couldn't really keep your eyes off him. Lots of great rudo beatdowns in this one, with a finishing stretch that was up there with anything else I've seen from the set. Loved this.

• 2 months later...

I thought this was a lot of fun as well.  Rayo's dancing reminded me of Mr. Wrestling II's inane but awesome footwork.  Mocho Cota was indeed awesome throughout.  I kept looking for him throughout the match to see what he was doing.  I'm glad Log highlighted the crotch-face move by Cota.  That was indeed brutal and made me groan out loud.  Cota begging off at the end of the first fall with his hands in the air was excellent as well.  I think Cota might have done one or two too many fingerless hand-in-the-air poses of triumph, but who can blame him, I suppose?  I liked the pacing and variety of this match.  It was a lot more unpredictable than matches where the technicos get beat down throughout the first fall but then come back suddenly to win the second fall.  This match seemed to have more back-and-forth action.  Good times!

• 1 month later...

Much like the others I thought Mocho Cota carried this. His partners kinda faded into the background more and more as the match progressed which makes sense since they were building Cochisse/Cota. Villano III was fine when involved and Rayo was his usual non-interesting self. Cota is great going from crazy brawler to total pussy who wants nothing to do with any of the tecnicos as the crowd eats it up. Finishing sequence was excellent. Not a standout match but better than a few of the random trios I've seen on the set so far.

• 2 months later...

Thankfully I watched this twice because the first time was late at night and my attention was waning. The second watch really brought Rayo, Villano III, and Fishman up to the forefront and what they added to the match. The Cota/Cochise segments still felt really heated and the match all together was more cohesive with paying attention to whom was getting cut off and worked on. Seemed to set up a good wager match between Cochise and Cota that I am sad we dont have. My #3 trios of the set behind the UWA Space Cadets and the MSI/Chicana week after their classic one. (****)

• 3 months later...

Hell yea, this is definitely worth paying attention to.

Gran Cochise takes an all time bump into the post. Cota then tries to one up him soon after. Seriously just launching themselves chest first into the post. I liked Cochise catching the long running boot and then Cota running away scared afterwards. Second fall turns into a total beatdown, including an almost Oklahoma Stampede by Cota on Gran Cochise. HUGE splash from Fishman takes out Villano III in the second fall. The tecnicos finally turn the tides after a long beatdown in the 3rd fall and get Mocho Cota alone in the ring. Nice false finish with the triple sunset flips. Cota being thrown out onto his partners leading to Villiano & Jalisco diving on them was awesome. This settled down into a final sequence between Gran Cochise & Mocho Cota that led to Cochise catching Cota with a pin for the win. The rudos protest afterwards and then Cota challenges Gran Cochise to a Hair vs. Hair match! This seemed somewhat unique but I'm not sure how often they did this types of challenges after a trios match. Villano kicks Fishman off the apron and then taunts the hell out of him but the brawl I'm hoping for doesn't break out as the rudos take off.

Really awesome match. Mocho Cota is fighting with El Dandy for #2 in my heart behind Satanico.