DVDVR Message Board

2017 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

RENA's fight was when the RIZIN ratings peaked in Japan with a 10.9%.

The ratings for the show weren't bad as they drew an average of 7.1% outdrawing the Masato vs. Takanori Gomi kickboxing fight that drew a 6.5% rating overall. That's a good sign for them.

Sakakibara has been praising RENA and he's talked about a WMMA Grand Prix for this year possibly.

He also praised Andy Ngyen, who's far from a great fighter, but she's very charismatic, has a ton of personality, is attractive and very appealing to the Japanese fans, so I'm sure she's going to become a RIZIN regular.

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I did enjoy Joey Diaz on the Joe Rogan Experience almost have a heart attack trying to explain why Conor vs. Woodley was the next big thing for the UFC though. This was absolutely the right move though.

Does this mean 208 is finalized? Because that is an ugly looking card for PPV.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I did enjoy Joey Diaz on the Joe Rogan Experience almost have a heart attack trying to explain why Conor vs. Woodley was the next big thing for the UFC though. This was absolutely the right move though.

Yes, pretty much.

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

I recall another hilarious rant he went on about UFC not booking Khabib vs. McGregor.

2 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Honestly, that fight had to be made.  I hope Ferguson got a raise, but fighting for a little money is better than not fighting for no money.  

He was asking for the same money Khabib was making, but Khabib's disclosed purse for 205 was $52k. Tony's last disclosed purse was $50k, and he has had 2 fights since then. He must have found out what Khabib was really making and lost his shit.

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

He was asking for the same money Khabib was making, but Khabib's disclosed purse for 205 was $52k. Tony's last disclosed purse was $50k, and he has had 2 fights since then. He must have found out what Khabib was really making and lost his shit.

Apparently, Khabib gets extra for promoting the sport in Russia, and from what I understand he's been very successful at it.  Ferguson is underpaid, but he's crazy if he believes that being a good to great fighter is anywhere close to being as valuable to being an ambassador for the sport.

Can't wait for that one. One of the best fights possible this year. Who is the best wrestler Tony's faced up to this point? Looking at his resume, it looks like he's mostly been matched up against guys that mostly want to trade with him standing.

15 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Apparently, Khabib gets extra for promoting the sport in Russia, and from what I understand he's been very successful at it.  Ferguson is underpaid, but he's crazy if he believes that being a good to great fighter is anywhere close to being as valuable to being an ambassador for the sport.

I think part of Ferguson's problem (if you want to call it that) is his belief that the belt doesn't mean a whole bunch and becoming apathetic to being a title contender in his mission to get more money. However, if his mission was to get McGregor (and guarantee he makes good money just like fighting Floyd was good for at least $2 mill), then he failed miserably after the Dos Anjos fight. Khabib has a sizable fanbase in a country the UFC is finally making inroads into, and he still blew away the attempt Ferguson made. When you're a fighter without a nation or fanbase, it's going to be super tough to get the money you rightly deserve as a top fighter. At one point Ferguson was trying to show some type of flare and be a guy who wanted to help build fights up. Then, he just stopped short and talked about how he really didn't care for the title. The hardcore fans want to see him fight because he's amazing, but I don't think his apathy is going to add a whole bunch of casuals. He is one those fighters I feel who is fortunate he puts on compelling fights since there is no other hook.

16 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Can't wait for that one. One of the best fights possible this year. Who is the best wrestler Tony's faced up to this point? Looking at his resume, it looks like he's mostly been matched up against guys that mostly want to trade with him standing.

Thomson or Tibau maybe.

However, he was supposed to fight Khabib on the PVZ vs. Namajunas TUF Finale card before Khabib pulled out. Also, on the Florida card last year. I dunno if I feel better or worse about his chances before that. Khabib started off both the Horcher and Michael Johnson fights a step slow (it almost cost him in the latter) before everything came together and he went to town the rest of the way.

Plenty of fight news:

Lombard vs. Brad Tavares has been removed from the Denver card. However, the card is adding Alessio Di Chirico vs. Eric Spicely, Luis Henrique da Silva (aka Frank Waisten Jr./Frankenstein) vs. RFA champion Jordan Johnson, Alex Caceres vs. Jason Knight, and Eric Shelton vs. Alexandre Pantoja.

Ricardo Ramos vs. Michinori Tanaka has been added to the Korean Zombie vs. Bermudez card.

Carla Esparza vs. Randa Markos has been added to the Dos Santos vs. Struve II card.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Plenty of fight news:

Carla Esparza vs. Randa Markos has been added to the Dos Santos vs. Struve II card.

Two of my favs so that's a tough one. I had hoped Randa would have had a more successful run since her UFC debut but she's had some solid opponents.

Also seeing Heather Hardy is out of her debut in Invicta on Sat with her opponent being injured.

Robbie Lawler has left American Top Team and is currently searching for a new gym.

BTW, UFC Fight Pass is having a free weekend this week. TKO 37, Saturday's Invicta FC card, and the Fight Pass prelims for Rodriguez vs. Penn will be free of charge.