DVDVR Message Board

2017 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

2 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Plus, I think Weidman is the much stronger man, so it'll be interesting to see how much of the fight is in the clinch and on the ground. If it's just a boxing/kickboxing fight, yeah, Mousasi wins the large majority of the time. 

If you look at Mousasi's recent run of wins, he has had the luxury of being not only the better defensive wrestler but the better offensive wrestler and/or grappler. Like what is the current iteration of Vitor Belfort really going to do in terms of grappling to Gegard Mousasi other than maybe a feeble takedown attempt or maybe pulling guard for a Hail Mary armbar attempt? So yeah, Gegard Mousasi is going to feel confident that he can not only just smash Belfort on the feet but also do it on the ground as well any way he wants. If Weidman can successfully mix it up, he can definitely win because Mousasi hasn't fared well in those fights unless he is the one initiating that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Didn't Moraes just re-up with WSOF last October?  What happened there?

Turns out it was just basically a one fight extension. It sounds like there might have been some error in the translation or Moraes misspoke in the original interview (w/ Guilherme Cruz) where he said he signed a new deal.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.mmafighting.com/platform/amp/2016/10/27/13393172/marlon-moraes-explains-decision-to-re-sign-with-wsof-it-was-an-offer?client=safari

That's a pretty huge misquote.  Chuck Mindenhall said it was a long term deal.  Moraes called it like a lifetime deal.  So someone was possibly lying.  No indication it was a one fight renewal.

10 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.mmafighting.com/platform/amp/2016/10/27/13393172/marlon-moraes-explains-decision-to-re-sign-with-wsof-it-was-an-offer?client=safari

That's a pretty huge misquote.  Chuck Mindenhall said it was a long term deal.  Moraes called it like a lifetime deal.  So someone was possibly lying.  No indication it was a one fight renewal.

At the same time, plenty of people said he was a free agent after the MSG NYE show. I don't get why no one double checked this because other refuteable MMA sources were saying that.

4 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

At the same time, plenty of people said he was a free agent after the MSG NYE show. I don't get why no one double checked this because other refuteable MMA sources were saying that.

You don't get much more irrefutable than speaking in plain English to Ariel Helwani on the MMA Hour.  No Guilherme Cruz translation. 

He straight up tells Helwani, "It's something like lifetime."  He said it was "an offer I couldn't refuse."  Sounds less like "lost in translation" and more like selling a bill of goods. 

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

You don't get much more irrefutable than speaking in plain English to Ariel Helwani on the MMA Hour.  No Guilherme Cruz translation. 

He straight up tells Helwani, "It's something like lifetime."  He said it was "an offer I couldn't refuse."  Sounds less like "lost in translation" and more like selling a bill of goods. 

I saw people say he was going to be a free agent prior to the fight he had on the WSOF show. Moraes doesn't run WSOF nor is he his own manager. It is not like WSOF is replete with top fighters where no one can keep track of who is staying and going. They have six notable fighters. It's not that hard to confirm whether or not he was signed to more fights. Ray Sefo and Ali Abdel Aziz ain't that hard to find. Is Marlon Moraes staying with WSOF over the span of multiple fights? That's one question. Oh, he is not? Yeah, let me put this in the article. 

GSP said he was a free agent.

Guess what? He wasn't a free agent.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/12/30/14022802/marlon-moraes-balanced-money-competition-on-decision-to-stay-with-wsof

This article from three weeks ago said he signed a new "multi-fight deal."

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/1/4/14152082/marlon-moraes-beat-any-bantamweight-including-cody-garbrandt

Same writer, different article a few days later said it was a "one-fight deal."  So...shitty reporting.

2 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

This is what I'm referencing when I brought up Guilherme Cruz. Look at the byline.

13 minutes ago, The Natural said:

On 1/25/2017 at 11:58 AM, Craig H said:

Man that's a bummer to hear about Goldie and Joe in tears and to hear about everyone in production hanging out and meanwhile NOT A FUCKING MENTION ON THE BROADCAST.

This.

I don't know if that is actually a thing.  The fact that they let him on television with an open mic after letting him go is a pretty big tribute to him as a professional.  The amount of trust they put into him in that moment is monumental.  He could have said or done anything, but they knew the kind of guy he was and trusted him to go out there and do one more show.  That isn't something that ever happens.  Getting a last hurrah is not something people generally get in the broadcasting business.  He isn't Vin Scully or Brent Musburger, but putting him on the air after announcing it as his last event is a honor.