DVDVR Message Board

TNA Impact Wrestling: Road to Glory Spoilers for 9/29/16

*Taped for Xplosion: Braxton Sutter def. Basille Baracca

*Taped for Xplosion: Baron Dax def. Marshe Rockett

TNA Impact Wrestling: Road to Glory - Airing September 29, 2016 from Orlando, FL

*Opening promo with Jeremy Borash introducing the teams for Lethal Lockdown. Team Lashley is Lashley, Mike Bennett, Drew Galloway, & Maria Kanellis. Team EC3 is EC3, Aron Rex, Moose, & Gail Kim.

*DJ Z def. Eddie Edwards to retain the X Division Championship. After the match, Andrew Everett & Trevor Lee beat down both men.

*Laurel Vanness def. Madison Rayne. After the match, Laurel berated Allie.

*In-ring promo with Drew Galloway and Aron Rex ahead of their match at BFG. Drew takes credit for TNA's recent success while Rex credits the roster. Rex says at BFG it won't go to the judges and he will be the new Impact Grand Champion. Drew says he will be the one. They get into a brawl with Drew laying out Rex with a piledriver.

*Reby def. Rosemary via DQ when Rosemary spit mist in her eyes. After the match a brawl broke out with Decay and the Hardys, ending with Rosemary putting Reby through a table.

*Team Lashley (Lashley, Mike Bennett, Drew Galloway, & Maria Kanellis) def. Team EC3 (Ethan Carter III, Moose, Aron Rex, & Gail Kim) in Lethal Lockdown when Lashley choked out EC3. As a result, Lashley chose for his match with EC3 at BFG to be a No Holds Barred match.

So that whole glorious angle with Lashley being the Triple Crown champ just went away like nothing.

I am pretty sure I am going to hate the Broken Hardyz being tweeners instead of heels, but I have been wrong about the trajectory of this gimmick before.

• Like 1

Calling it now: the Decay/Hardy's angle is going to end with Maxel doing a run-in to chase away Decay.  TNA is going to use the old soap opera gimmick of aging young kids to their late teens so they can hotshot the character into a storyline.

The role of Maxel will now be played by Jack Evans.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

Calling it now: the Decay/Hardy's angle is going to end with Maxel doing a run-in to chase away Decay.  TNA is going to use the old soap opera gimmick of aging young kids to their late teens so they can hotshot the character into a storyline.

The role of Maxel will now be played by Jack Evans.

Jack Evans as Maxell would be awesome. He could do another double moonsault off a cage onto Abyss like he did at ROH's Steel Cage Warfare in Dec. '05, where he ended up clocking Abyss square in the head with his boot.

Lashley's been quietly good for a couple of years now and he's a good World Champion but this winning all the titles seems like it was just some World Title Series time killer shit.  X-Division still marginalized and the 'Well, we got this belt' KOTM just gets replaced with another 'Well, we got this belt' championship of questionable merit.

Also, Galloway's run on top was prematurely ended so they could push to EC3 winning at BFG.  Their formula is horribly predictable.  Guy loses title, turns, wins it back, repeat with another guy.  EC3's not a good face either especially compared to Galloway or even Moose.  Either of those guys vs. Lashley is a better BFG main event.  And of course they're going to put Aron Rex over Galloway.  The hell kind of name is that?  What was wrong with A.A. Ron Stevens?  I just have no idea what people see in the guy.  Dixie Carter loves him too.  All the recent WWE releases and this is the guy they go after hard.  He's a middle of the card heel at best.  Of course this is the company that thought debuting Moose as a heel was a good idea.

Also, cause of formula, EC3 winning leads to Mike Bennett, World Champion.  Which is ridiculous and I like Bennett.  The Miracle has been such trash since debut.  Terrible "Hey fans, what you've been watching is bad but I'm going to make it good" gimmick.  "Yes we do" is the worst catchphrase too cause it doesn't make any damn sense on its own without a long speech leading to it.  The best thing Bennett has done is been made to bleed his own blood by Gail Kim and then she called him a pussy on one of those ONO PPVs nobody watches.

Also, way too much fucking Maria this year which has absolutely hampered the Knockouts Division.  As a performer she's worse than Stephanie McMahon on every level.

Also, the fuck kind of logic is Galloway and the Bennetts getting in a cage to help Lashley determine the stip for his BFG main event they want to be in but aren't.

So many people have just been marginalized and sidelined for no reason this year.  Spud's been doing this awesome cokehead gimmick that hasn't gotten any attention.  They turned Tyrus for basically no reason.  Storm's basically done nothing since Roode left.  You could argue he didn't do much when Roode was there either.  BroMans got reformed outta nowhere seemingly just to give Raquel something to do.  Tigre Uno disappeared after all that buildup with Helms.

Also, way too soon for Brother Nero to accept obsolescence.  Really rushed turning Broken Matt and family.  BFG should be the clash of the Hardys in a Total Absolution match under a roller coaster or some shit.  Most important thing is TNA should've been working on how to get Broken Matt to "float" to the ring in his dilapidated boat while the Scribe is deleting fans and Vanguard-1 is flying overhead.

People say that TNA has gotten better.  Compared to last year, yeah, sure.  I'd agree with that.  There's just so much wasted potential and rushing to get through things so they can get to their next stupid idea.  Also, TNA is still drawing, if I had to ballpark it, approximately zero dollars.

• Like 1

As far as rushing to get through things, I wonder if their financial situation plays into that.  Nobody there says it, but I wonder if they feel they need to rush through things in case there isn't another taping or at worst they finally shut down.  Maybe if Billy owning it now eases their minds they could stand to slow it down some.  While the show has been largely a lot better compared to last year when you put all that in one post it does indicate they still have a long ways to go.

The marathon tapings are an issue for sure. It's hard to get a read on when to pull the trigger on something when you're taping so far in advance.

It's gotten better in the sense that there are some acts I enjoy and matches I like but there are still tons of issues.

• 4 weeks later...

Remember - they also rush through angles because they can never guarantee someone will be available for the next tapings.

Like they had to do the James Storm "suspension" because he was on vacation for the last set of tapings

• 3 weeks later...

Great final build up to BFG. The Hardys/Decay feud video was fantastic set to "Obsolete" and came off like building to a real epic showdown. Another fun brawl between them and Rosemary putting Reby through the table looked killer.

Even if it ultimately didn't mean much, Drew's snap piledriver on Rex was pretty cool. Love all the feuds in the Lethal Lockdown and have been looking forward to BFG very much, hopefully it still happens.

Always good to see Madison again and I am digging what I am seeing of the Laurel Van Ness character so far. As a whole, I have enjoyed Maria and her harem. If TNA does indeed die, it will be shame that it would happen before Allie really gets a chance to break out.

I remember enjoying Reby Sky feuding with Jessicka Havok in Shine. But I hadn't seen her wrestle since then and that was years ago. I did like what little we got of her vs Rosemary though and the table dive was killer. Courtney Rush must be having a ball with this role. 

• Like 1