DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

I mean I think it's obvious somebody in UFC or ESPN leaked it, and I got to think more on the UFC side, since I never really seen any other ESPN stuff get leaked before. While UFC has a history of pulling stunts like this. 

Another member of the Four Horsewomen went down as Marina Shafir got KO'd by Amanda Bell in 37 seconds last night.

The one bright spot for that camp is Jemyma Betrian might be a legit prospect if she can get down to 115 where she belongs and develop grappling skills.

Shafir is a lost cause because she won't go down to 135, isn't that athletic given her hype, and has the Chris Namus chin from watching the video of the fight. She don't take punches all that well.

She seems like a cool person and very likable (albeit a little airheadish from her Cheap Seats interview), but she clearly has (or had before she lost) this warped sense of what she can accomplish in a very much dead weight class. She won't be ready for Cyborg this year, next year, or the next 5 years. If she was just another random athlete from another sport, no one would give a shit that she lost. But when you hang with Ronda and you also want to bring that bravado, this is what happens when shit doesn't go as planned. She ain't even Adrien Broner to Ronda's Floyd Mayweather. At best she is what "Smoke" Gainer was to Roy Jones Jr. She might go onto to fight on the same cards as Ronda after winning some regional women's featherweight title no one cares about. She is doomed to be in her shadow.

It could be getting to 145 is a real bitch so 135 is out of the question...it could be she likes Coker...it could be that Viacom offers her a better schedule.  It is just going to be funny (if this signing is legit) to watch Dana and Rousey shit on Gina after they've been singing her praises for a month.  

Helwani said a source told him the Carano rumors weren't true, and that the announcement being major is "up for debate". Take that for what you will.

The Carano thing is weird to me anyway. I don't know why the UFC is gung-ho on signing her, and I don't know why she would sign with Bellator instead, above reasons not withstanding.

They're gung ho because they want to keep the Rousey momentum going. You have a lot more breathing room w/ Rousey vs. Carano than say....Rousey vs. Amanda Nunes. If a main event falls apart, you can't go to the Rousey vs. grappling dummy as a replacement main event well too many times. That's how Laila Ali's popularity waned when she was fighting girls who were 30 pounds smaller than her and everyone wanted to see her against Ann Wolfe. Without Cyborg, you don't have that instant, legit foil. Zingano doesn't do a whole lot for everyone and we've been down the Tate street twice already. Holm is an unknown quantity, but I don't expect that fight to have more cache than your average Ronda's non-Miesha/first UFC women's fight opponent.

Who the fuck is there to fight at 145 lbs?  There is Cyborg, a roider.  Marloes Coenen, who is a natural 135 pounder.  Marina Shafir, 1-1 member of the four horsewoman who just got knocked out.  Ediane Gomes.  And who else?  Amanda Lucas?  Is Gina Carano going to hang around and build the division?

It's the most thin division in MMA.  It's a weight class Strikeforce made to accommodate Cyborg and Carano because they had so much trouble making weight.