DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

Guest Edwin

There's 7 months to go before UFC 180, I'm sure there's a good chance we won't hear of any other fights that'll be on that card for at least 4 more months.

Guest Edwin

No Big Nog/Sapp, Werdum/Fedor, Brock/Herring, Brock/Randy, Jones/Shogun, Anderson/Chael I or Ronda/Liz?

Those are just a few off the top of my head that were defining moments in the history of MMA.

Also what could've been, what could've been...

Pride20LW20GP20200720Rd201.jpg

I don't understand professional fighters who don't want to fight when they're completely healthy, pulling out of fights months in advance for no apparent reason or just sitting on the sidelines for the heck of it.  You're not getting paid to sit around and hang out with your buddies, you have your post fighting career to do that which can end in a few years.

Even though they have a good relationship with Zuffa (perhaps main reason for running in Vegas multiple times), I don't think Ali likes WSOF being the feeder league/freshen up your gimmick 80s territory promotion. If guys know that they'll be in the UFC after two or three wins, they'll make up their own schedule of when they fight. The belts don't mean anything so why run and try to win/defend them. The logical thinking of "well, we can bring back guys every two to four months" doesn't work here. WSOF is clearly trying to branch out and do regional stuff in other places to make money, but Ryan Ford isn't going to draw anyone when he makes it to a national broadcast. The lure of probably being on NBC once in a blue moon does nothing for them. If Zuffa had bought Strikeforce before Hendo left, CBS isn't really going to be the difference maker like it was when Silicon Valley Sports was in play. More than likely, Hendo would have stayed or went somewhere else if he wanted more money.

Guest Edwin

Dave Huckaba vs. Derrick Mehman and that bald guy who missed weight on TUF and was sent home by Dana Cody Bollinger vs. Pablo Alfonso at WSOF 10.

The winner of Bollinger vs. Alfonso has a good chance of losing to Marlon Moraes in a bantamweight title fight in September.

Just read on Sherdog that Scott Coker had plans of setting up a LW GP with DREAM fighters in Strikeforce following in the steps of their HW GP if they hadn't sold the promotion to Zuffa. The tournament was going feature Thomson, Aoki, Gil, Kawajiri and there was talks of Bibiano Fernandes moving to 155 lbs. to participate in what would've been another also LW GP. The PRIDE LW GP poster I posted previously and this would've been easily the 2 best LW tournaments of all time. It really sucks that neither one of them happened.

No Big Nog/Sapp, Werdum/Fedor, Brock/Herring, Brock/Randy, Jones/Shogun, Anderson/Chael I or Ronda/Liz?

Those are just a few off the top of my head that were defining moments in the history of MMA.

Good shouts. I certainly would pick Lesnar vs. Couture, Werdum/Fedor, Silva vs. Sonnen I, Jones vs. Shogun and Rousey vs. Carmouche. Lesnar vs. Mir II as well.

Guest Edwin

For those of you wondering, the only thing worth watching out for on this season of TUF is Dhiego Lima who's fighting on next weeks episode.

And if you like wrestlers who can dominante with their takedowns and grind out decisions, then Ian Stephens.

Aside from that, yeah, just like most seasons of TUF, there's not much to see.

Guest Edwin

Douglas wasn't the champ when TUF was taped, but I get what you mean. I believe they did mention that Dhiego's brother was a Bellator fighter though which is still kind of ironic since Dana and Ian Stephens bashed Good saying a Bellator champ can't even hang on TUF.

It's going to be funny if Stephens loses TUF and doesn't get signed by the UFC afterwards since he for sure buried any chances he could of created for himself with Bellator.

They're building a new 20,000 seat arena in Vegas. It's breaking ground today. Dana and Richard Schaefer were there.

10175118_274082679437665_1525902075_n.jp

Dana: Hey Rich, what ever happen to that whole Affliction thing? Oh wait...

Schaefer: Don't be an asshole, Danuah

So this new arena will be partially funded by MGM Grand, I assume that the MGM Grand Garden Arena will still stay open though.  To where they'll still TUF Finales at either MGM or Mandalay Bay but all of the Memorial Day, New Years Eve, Fourth of July and Super Bowl cards would be at the new arena.  Not sure why UFC has only used the Thomas & Mack but once unless the reason is that it's not on the Strip.

It's not on the strip and they're aren't as tight with Steve Wynn as Bob Arum is. Wynn Resorts has sponsored all the Top Rank shows at T&M since Pacquiao-Morales II and Mayweather vs. Judah.

so, a very random question, but i was watching this unauthorized video on Tito vs Ken Shamrock, and in it they show a quick clip of Tito Ortiz vs Eugene Jackson from 1998-99ish. this would've been probably an amateur or unsanctioned bout, but i had never heard of it. and i couldn't really find out much about it online. Anyone have any info? or, even better, video of the fight?

Guest Edwin

ONE FC 15 is tomorrow and it's being headlined by the only interesting fight on the card which is a BW title fight between Bibiano Fernandes who'll most likely be choking out Masakatsu Ueda.