DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

The only thing I really take issue with what White said is that only reason Henderson is ranked where he is right now is because he moved to welterweight.  He was still in the top 10 of lightweight when he moved down.

Based on what he said, they should be looking to keep Aljamain Sterling and make him happy.

The only thing I really take issue with what White said is that only reason Henderson is ranked where he is right now is because he moved to welterweight. He was still in the top 10 of lightweight when he moved down.

I take that to mean that a lot of the more established guys that usually get re-signed or have signed contract extensions probably are becoming free agents. I mean look at someone like Shawn Jordan. Three or four years, someone like that would be signed for 4 more fights without hesitation. Now, he is on the verge of retirement.

I would assume Dan Henderson is Bellator bound if he doesn't retire after the Machida fight. More incentive for Bellator than the UFC to keep him.

http://mmajunkie.com/2016/02/contract-disputes-see-jake-shields-out-at-wsof-30-jon-fitch-now-meets-joao-zeferino?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Gotta love when lower level promotions try to pull a slick one. Never die, WSOF. I mean you most likely will in the near future, but still...

Free agency news:

Sergei Kharitonov has signed with Bellator. Apparently, his original asking price was too high but I guess they worked out a deal.

According to Jason Floyd, Bellator is trying to make a big push for Alistair Overeem. However, according to Jeremy Botter, Bellator is under the impression that Overeem is returning to the UFC.

So with Cormier vs. Jones 2 set for April, Dana White also confirmed that Rockhold vs. Weidman II will be in June.

If Cain can get back to training in a month, I would assume that we get the Werdum rematch on Memorial Day weekend.

Jason Floyd @Jason_Floyd 24m24 minutes ago

John Dodson vs. Bryan Caraway is no longer happening. Potential fight for Dodson could be Rani Yahya per @arielhelwani

Jason Floyd @Jason_Floyd 24m24 minutes ago

Andre Fili vs. Yair Rodriguez may happen in April per @arielhelwani

BJ Penn might fight Dennis Siver at UFC 196.

Free agency news:

Sergei Kharitonov has signed with Bellator. Apparently, his original asking price was too high but I guess they worked out a deal.

According to Jason Floyd, Bellator is trying to make a big push for Alistair Overeem. However, according to Jeremy Botter, Bellator is under the impression that Overeem is returning to the UFC.

Awesome. Kharitanov is a favourite of mine, and I'm happy to see him in an organization where he could make a run at the title.

• Like 1

According to Ana Hissa and Evy Rodrigues of Combate, that 5/14 Fight Night card in Brazil is now UFC 198 with Werdum vs. Miocic headlining. So that means Cain has to fight some poor soul that isn't Fabricio Werdum. Cain-Rothwell II?

• Like 1

Cain should have to fight someone else to fight for the title again. Put him in there with Rothwell and let's see what happens. Their first fight has enough distance between it and Rothwell is having a good run right now.

See what happens? Cain is possibly the worst style matchup for Rothwell. I think Ben was lucky that he didn't have to fight Cain to get to the title in the same way for a little while Bader could avoid Rumble to fight for the belt. You would have that little story about Rothwell's run. Now it's looking like he has to fight Cain again and that's going to end bad.

I've seen BJ vs. Siver listed at featherweight. If so, that's the UFC's way of guaranteeing BJ gets a win at 145. It's going to be hilarious watching him beat Siver and seeing his fans claim he's back.

Not sure how Fili/Yair will go, but that's a fight I'm looking forward to. I think Yair wild striking can beat Fili. Either way I'm driving to Tampa for this card as it's pretty good on paper if it can stick together; Khabib/El Cucuy, Rashad/Shogun, Chiesa/Dariush, Yair/Fili, Bethe/Pennington, Cub/Hacran... Lyoto/Hendo II which I could do without considering their first fight.

Kharitonov is a good signing for Bellator.

Cain should have to fight someone else to fight for the title again. Put him in there with Rothwell and let's see what happens. Their first fight has enough distance between it and Rothwell is having a good run right now.

See what happens? Cain is possibly the worst style matchup for Rothwell. I think Ben was lucky that he didn't have to fight Cain to get to the title in the same way for a little while Bader could avoid Rumble to fight for the belt. You would have that little story about Rothwell's run. Now it's looking like he has to fight Cain again and that's going to end bad.

From a stylistic standpoint, I also thought Barnett was a horrible match-up for Rothwell.  Barnett still got subbed for the first time in his career.

From a stylistic standpoint, I also thought Barnett was a horrible match-up for Rothwell. Barnett still got subbed for the first time in his career.

Barnett also didn't beat the holy shit out of Rothwell already.

It may be something or it may be nothing, but Dana made something interesting comments about their Fox deal ending. For anyone who may have more knowledge about how this works, will the massive cuts at 21st Century Fox in their television (& film as well but mostly TV) division affect their ability to negotiate a new deal with the UFC?

Right now, based on other rumors, Fox is basically there to keep PBC alive until they get more money. They (Premier Boxing Champions) don't have any shows planned for Spike, NBC, ESPN, or CBS let alone branded as PBC, and the one show on CBS with Haymon managed fighters is branded as Showtime Boxing on CBS.

I dunno if Dana throwing ESPN out there is a red herring.