DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Tony Ferguson is getting a rematch against Michael Johnson at UFC 197. Ferguson wanted to fight again before his kid was born. Khabib isn't ready yet and Alvarez just fought obviously.

Risky fight for both guys, especially for Johnson who is down 0-2 right now.

Two replacements have been announced:

Francisco Rivera is replacing Henry Briones against Brad Pickett on the Silva vs. Bisping card.

Bryan Barberena has been pulled out of his fight (originally set to fight Jonavin Webb in Pittsburgh) to replace Andrew Holbrook against Sage Northcutt. It will be contested at welterweight.

I hope Stone Cold Stipe makes another return and smashes another mudhole into Werdum.  

This immediate rematch was ridiculous anyway.  Not surprised Cain got injured again.  He's 33 now.  His body won't let him get away with over training anymore.

He's 33 now.  His body won't let him get away with over training anymore.

I don't know if we can assign that to overtraining considering there is a champ at AKA who is 3 years older than him and who is his primary training partner. Even with less MMA experience, Cormier ain't a spring chicken given that he wrestled frequently prior to getting in to MMA.

Without being in the gym with them everyday, your frame of reference of what undertraining and overtraining is nil.

I mean Khabib got hurt in Russia and not AKA. Some guys just aren't that durable.

He's 33 now.  His body won't let him get away with over training anymore.

I don't know if we can assign that to overtraining considering there is a champ at AKA who is 3 years older than him and who is his primary training partner. Even with less MMA experience, Cormier ain't a spring chicken given that he wrestled frequently prior to getting in to MMA.

Without being in the gym with them everyday, your frame of reference of what undertraining and overtraining is nil.

I mean Khabib got hurt in Russia and not AKA. Some guys just aren't that durable.

Look at this video:

Yeah, that's some Lion's Den shit straight up right there.

Also, what relevance does a video from 4 and 1/2 years ago have to do with something in January 2016? Did one the reps hop into a DeLorean and shoot a debilitating impulse down his spine?

VileOne, you are the worst when it comes to discussion about MMA training.

And exhibit B.  This is from September 2014.

http://espn.go.com/blog/mma/post/_/id/21156/velasquez-on-whether-hes-injury-prone-werdum

ESPN: All sports have athletes who, for one reason or another, can’t stay healthy. Are we there with you, yet? Do you think that’s fair or have you just been unlucky?

Velasquez: I really think it has to do with the way I train. If I’m hurt a little, I’m still going to train. I guess my head is pretty strong and I can push through pain, but it’s bad because it’s definitely messed up my body at times.

Neither proves anything, really. The reply with the video is quite laughable and I thought you linked the wrong video. But apparently, you're serious and that's quite sad.

What is AKA been doing the last 3 or so years that qualifies as overtraining versus what they were doing when Cain Velasquez was an up and coming fighter? Also, what are people like Daniel Cormier and Ruslan Magomedov doing differently to stay relatively injury free? 

When did I say AKA?  I said Cain's over-training.  For years it was put over how Cain is a freak and a gym rat.  Is it so insane to think that's finally catching up with him?  And then you see him do stupid stuff like in the above video.  Yeah it's impressive and insane that he can do that.  But is it crazy to think doing that in the gym on a constant basis is maybe hurting him in the long-term?

When did I say AKA?  I said Cain's over-training.  For years it was put over how Cain is a freak and a gym rat.  Is it so insane to think that's finally catching up with him?  And then you see him do stupid stuff like in the above video.  Yeah it's impressive and insane that he can do that.  But is it crazy to think doing that in the gym on a constant basis is maybe hurting him in the long-term?

So basically, you have no idea what you mean and just scotch taping a bunch of stuff you kinda heard. Ok, gotcha.

Cain said it himself.  His own words.  

No, you pulled a quote from some interview from about fourteen months without a hint of context.

You're basically talking out of your ass like you do whenever you talk about MMA training. 

What is AKA been doing the last 3 or so years that qualifies as overtraining versus what they were doing when Cain Velasquez was an up and coming fighter? Also, what are people like Daniel Cormier and Ruslan Magomedov doing differently to stay relatively injury free? 

If you can answer those two questions with substantial, concrete evidence, then MAYBE I can take you serious. Otherwise, it is the same as before when you've discussed this. Just absolute rubbish.

It seems like I've hit some sort of nerve here.  

I'm not pinning this on AKA in this case.  I'm pinning it on Cain.  I feel like doing crap like what he did in the 2011 video is proof that he does some pretty boneheaded stuff in training, and it's not surprising he's constantly getting hurt when he trains like that.  

It seems like I've hit some sort of nerve here.  

No, it's because you've done quite a horrendous job explaining this among any other time you've tried to discuss MMA training and/or what could be done to fix these problems. The MMA training regulation several months back was perhaps the silliest.

Instead of rational explanations or reasoning, all I've seen is very Sherdog-ish conjecture.

Because Stipe is fucking awesome and always has been. That's how.

Given the history with other fighters I've been behind since they started, namely Johny, Stipe will win the title and then lose it in a rematch via a bullshit decision.

I would actually give Stipe a good shot to at least be very competitive against Werdum if he had maybe a month to train. I don't know with basically one or two weeks to train.

I think the upside is that the Arlovski fight was basically 2 or 3 strikes exchanged. With just over a month between fights, you can do worse.

Speaking of Johny, Bigg Rigg Steakhouse is no more:

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/other-sports/moresports/2016/01/21/johny-hendricks-weight-cut-will-work-failed-restaurant-scary-new-dog

I would actually give Stipe a good shot to at least be very competitive against Werdum if he had maybe a month to train. I don't know with basically one or two weeks to train.

I think the upside is that the Arlovski fight was basically 2 or 3 strikes exchanged. With just over a month between fights, you can do worse.

Speaking of Johny, Bigg Rigg Steakhouse is no more:

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/other-sports/moresports/2016/01/21/johny-hendricks-weight-cut-will-work-failed-restaurant-scary-new-dog

Yeah, I saw that. I'm glad he has a better idea to manage his nutrition now. That's also interesting about venison, regarding it containing creatine. I never had any idea, but then again, I've never eaten venison.