DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Kurt Angle is considering giving MMA a shot. He said he wouldn't fight guys in their primes, but he would be down to fight Kimbo, Shamrock, Severn or Royce.

Bellator has one HW in his prime and that guy hasn't fought under their promotional banner since April 2014.

Secondly, he has about the same shot beating those guys as anyone else given that he is damn near crippled and has exactly zero MMA experience.

Lastly, we've been down this road with Angle for about six or seven years with the same level of progress: nothing.

2/6 is now a Fight Night card officially while UFC 197 is now UFC 196.

This would probably mean that April will be 197, May will have 198, and June will get 199.

Will that mess up the order for UFC 200?

At least they are changing the numbers this time.  I still want UFC 176 and UFC 151 back.

2/6 is now a Fight Night card officially while UFC 197 is now UFC 196.

This would probably mean that April will be 197, May will have 198, and June will get 199.

Will that mess up the order for UFC 200?

No. Their original plan was not to run a PPV on Memorial Day weekend so UFC 200 would be in July. All this means is now they can run one.

Three more bouts have been added to the UFC show in Zagreb. Igor Pokrajac is returning to the UFC to fight Jan Blachowicz. Francis Ngannou is returning off his brutal KO win against newcomer Bojan Mihajlovic. It looks like Bartosz Fabinski is being punished for having that lay-n-pray fest with Hector Urbina. He's facing Nicolas Dalby on that show. Boy, Joe Silva is a tiny, spiteful man.

Disappointed UFC let him go, especially since he was on a winning streak at welterweight, but oh well.

Honestly, wouldn't surprise me if Bendo retires after his run in Bellator anyway.  Then again, some of his interviews make him come off as a bit of an odd duck.  

Meaning what, exactly?

I mean Sterling is pretty young, but isn't that famous yet. Would 2-3 years in another organization be the be-all, end-all? I mean there ain't a soul in Bellator (or anywhere else) I would take over him unless he just start radically moving up divisions. I think maybe Marlon Moraes would be an interesting matchup, but that's about it. Dudu Dantas? Joe Warren? Louro? Those might turn into massacres.

Sterling is their No. 5 ranked bantamweight.  Rafael dos Anjos wasn't that famous either when he won the title.  There is no reason you want to lose a guy like Sterling right now.  We're not exactly talking about Phil Davis here.  Undefeated in UFC and MMA.  I'm not the kid's manager, but I'm not seeing why you wouldn't want to keep him.

Sterling is their No. 5 ranked bantamweight.  Rafael dos Anjos wasn't that famous either when he won the title.  There is no reason you want a guy like Sterling right now.  We're not exactly talking about Phil Davis here.

Shit, Rafael dos Anjos isn't that famous now. I think the Fox ratings for the December show were pretty much in line with the other shows in that month. Dos Anjos is kinda like Werdum in that he is a guy without a home (contingent). Jose Aldo only became a star to his people in the last...what? Two years and half years or so, which coincides with him headlining shows in Brazil and the McGregor feud. That McGregor fight pulled a 20 rating (with a 50 share) in the early morning hours. You didn't have that for his other fights. Pretty sure, you weren't going to have that for any other opponent. Stateside, he really didn't do that well with any other opponent. That's the guy who was legitimately one of the top two or three fighters in the entire world. So the rankings only mean something to hardcore fans, and only a small part of it anyway.

But the larger point to made is that Sterling could up his value going somewhere else and still get a big deal afterwards. So at worst, if he doesn't stop giving a shit or getting into all out wars, you could sign him when he is in his prime and gained an audience.

Sterling is their No. 5 ranked bantamweight.  Rafael dos Anjos wasn't that famous either when he won the title.  There is no reason you want to lose a guy like Sterling right now.  We're not exactly talking about Phil Davis here.  Undefeated in UFC and MMA.  I'm not the kid's manager, but I'm not seeing why you wouldn't want to keep him.

Since you added more, I'll address that as well. 

I mean I would try to keep him as well, but to summarize what I said above, it's not exactly the end of the world especially considering the circumstances. He's a young guy who doesn't fight where he takes a ton of damage. If he moves on to another promotion, given his talent level, he probably won't be taking a ton of punishment in the near future either. 

I think the problem on Sterling's side is that Bellator hasn't made any real stars. Hell, their minor stars and the old fogies who people know are from the UFC and Strikeforce. Their TV ratings ain't exactly setting the world on fire. This is the argument I was making weeks back. So it's way more riskier for Aljamain than it is for the UFC.