DVDVR Message Board

FALLOUT 4

RIPPA

Here we go - From the Fallout 4 Wiki

Some settlers need to be assigned a bed. Check for insomniacs in the middle of the night and send them to bed.

Settlers will automatically assign themselves to beds as they are built. In settlements with preexisting beds, such as Abernathy Farm (4), Tenpines Bluff (2), and (especially) Covenant (9), settlers MUST be assigned to these beds- they WILL NOT automatically assign themselves. Interestingly enough, the preexisting beds in some settlements, such as Sunshine Tidings Co-op, will automatically be assigned a settler as they are recruited. Even though these settlements (such as Covenant, especially if you kill everyone) reflect a proper amount of beds in the building overlay, settlers will frequently comment on the bed situation and the happiness of the settlement WILL be negatively affected. If your settlement meets the needs of the settlers but happiness is still low, travel to the settlement, enter build mode, and walk around to see if the beds are flagged as owned or not. In settlements with a large amount of people, manually assigning each settler to a bed can become difficult, time-consuming, and is ultimately unnecessary unless you are having the problem mentioned above. In rare cases, beds are flagged as owned and settlers cannot be assigned to them at all. To fix this problem on PC, simply enter the console, click on the preexisting bed, and type disable and build a new bed in its place. An easy fix to this problem on both consoles is building an additional amount of beds equal to the number of preexisting beds. If there are more settlers than beds, it is possible that very few settlers- if not any- will assign themselves to a bed unless the total needs for all settlers are met. It is a good practice to scrap/disable/ignore all preexisting beds in a settlement and build new ones in their place to avoid this problem from the start.

Goddamn this game. I'm running errands to get parts for that ship and in the process I keep coming across other areas that I have outstanding quests for. The quests have been a little more difficult and I can't just use my Power Fist of Power Sledgehammer for everything, so I'm losing ammo fast. Then I wind up with too much shit, so I have to fast travel back to Sanctuary since I'm trying to keep all of my stuff in one place.

The last three times I've traveled back to wherever it is I need to go to, I've had a Deathclaw on one trip back, two Mirelurk Hunters on the second trip and two Radscorpions on my last trip all waiting for me or spawning right when I arrive. So now my ammo is totally depleted and I had a shitton of it before.

What's worse is that I'm constantly over encumbered and I don't know how. I don't have any junk on me, I don't have any extra armor, and I carry a bunch of explosives on me along with the Power Fist, which weighs 6 lbs, the Power Sledgehammer that weighs about 20, a rocket launcher that weighs 40, and a laser pistol that weighs 5. I can carry 325 lbs worth of stuff, and with what I have now, I'm at 310. I'm wondering if all of the miscellaneous items and ammo actually have weight to them, but in the game, they all show 0.

Shit like that is why I wish I had this on the PC. I really want to turn encumbrance off.

Then I wind up with too much shit, so I have to fast travel back to Sanctuary since I'm trying to keep all of my stuff in one place.

I really need to put all my shit in one place. I bought a shipment of wood with the intent of putting it on Abernathy Farm. I had to go defend a settlement, got over encumbered looting dead bodies, stopped off at another settlement, did a couple of quests and forgot where the hell I put the shipment of wood.

After typing all of that, I learned that you carry all of your mods. That's weird. I'll have to dump them because a lot of my weight is probably there.

Store them in your workshop

And if you haven't done so already - you can either add to your Strength so then you can get the Strong Back perk

OR

You can craft your armor to be pocketed (deep-pocketed) - that let's you carry more

OR OR

Wear power armor

And as per usual - make your companion a pack mule.

Then I wind up with too much shit, so I have to fast travel back to Sanctuary since I'm trying to keep all of my stuff in one place.

I really need to put all my shit in one place. I bought a shipment of wood with the intent of putting it on Abernathy Farm. I had to go defend a settlement, got over encumbered looting dead bodies, stopped off at another settlement, did a couple of quests and forgot where the hell I put the shipment of wood.

Another reason Local Leader is a great perk.

Set up supply lines between settlements and they share your shit

• Like 1

The quests have been a little more difficult and I can't just use my Power Fist of Power Sledgehammer for everything, so I'm losing ammo fast.

I feel your pain with this. I'm on my second playthrough, around level 11, and I swear I think I'm having a harder time than I did on the first playthrough. I suspect that I'm trying to play too much like I'm still level 50+ with good equipment.

I liked the strong, bullrushing, melee play style last time, so I thought I'd focus more on that early on. I put a lot of points in strength at the beginning, but I also put a lot in charisma so I wouldn't lose so many persuasion attempts, so my perks are still a bit scattered like last time. I started off with that security baton you pick up in the vault, and was just beating the shit out of people. I started thinking "wow - this is going to be so much easier." NOPE.

It's like all of a sudden I stopped kicking ass and now I can't handle anything. Nearly every mission I go to, I have to throw out the white flag and yell RETREEEEEEAT because I can't stop dying. It goes basically like this: run in, slap people with a machete while eating purified water, get overwhelmed, take cover, pull out a shotgun for two VATS blasts to the face, switch to 10mm pistol, shoot erratically and miss everything until AP is full again, use VATS with my pistol, miss every shot, die.

I tried to do the Freedom Trail mission, but ran into Super Mutants who killed me. I tried to check out the Combat Zone - two raiders and a turret killed me. And don't get me started on Easy City Downs. Every time I thought I had killed everyone, two more raiders or triggermen would pop out somewhere.

For me to accomplish anything, I end up having to slink back to Sanctuary and grab my power armor. Looks like it's time to go talk to Preston and just clear out a bunch of settlements to grind for XP.

On the plus side, I am saving more frequently in case my companions screw up again. So far, so good - but it's weird in other ways. Quite often, there's a lag in the dialogue and it's creepy and hilarious. "Are you ready to go, General?" My character stares at them for about five to six seconds in silence before responding. It's like those youtube videos where people remove the laugh track from sitcoms.

• Like 1

Do you have him armored up or something because that seems pretty damn dangerous considering named settlers are non-essential and can thus bite it unlike the regular ones. They created weird priorities with that system. Also he is a lv. 4 vendor, meaning assigning to the right store produces higher quality items regular settlers can't produce.

I got lucky that he made it to Abernathy Farms alive

But yeah - I am only now starting to learn that I need to start handing out weapons and armor to these people

He is currently working a supply line for me so either Fresh killed him or he is wandering the wasteland like Kung Fu

From what I understand one of the biggest bugs in the game is that some of the random encounter vendors don't show up where you send them.  I've sent three to settlements and only one of them ever showed up.  I've run into one of them twice since she didn't show up, but she's never made it.

The end of the USS Constitution quest is amazingly hilarious. I played that quest just accepting whatever was asked of me, not using sarcasm, not asking many questions. When I finally got to the end of it, the captain of the ship says something that I don't want to spoil and I FINALLY ask what they're planning. The response I get is so off the wall and crazy that my character goes from the good soldier who is just very helpful, to being like, "wait, what?! You're still going to do this? LOL, ok, I guess I'm along for the ride!" What happens after that is so fucking awesome and out of everything I've done so far, this entire quest has been the most fun and Fallout thing in the game. I really liked it.

Can I ask some questions of you hardened Fallout 4 vets?

1. On my Pip Boy, all of my settlements show that there's a problem with each settlement's defenses (it has that warning logo to the right of the number). So I go to the settlement, and the defenses reading is green when I get there and open up the "builder." What am I doing wrong?

2. Was Cait as buggy for you guys as she is me? It usually takes me about 3-4 tries to get her to trade stuff with me. I'll ask her to trade, she'll say "OK," then that's the end of it. She'll give me the ol' "can we talk about something?" then say nothing else. And if I ask her to pick a lock, she'll say "I'm on it," then she'll actually go over and try MAYBE 5 percent of the time. Are all companions like that? I traveled with Piper for just a tiny bit until I met Cait, so I didn't notice.

3. I recently discovered you could armor up companions, but does it really matter if you give them tons of guns? I've given Cait 4 guns and I've only seen her use the shotgun she had when I met her. What can you give companions that they'll actually use?

Regarding #3, I'll tell you the helpful advice given to me in here earlier, which is you have to also supply the ammo for that particular weapon, or else they'll just use their default.

In my experience since receiving that advice, make sure it's a weapon with a low firing rate and if you're going into something with a lot of enemies, you may be better off unequipping that weapon from your companion and just letting them use their default.

BTW, rolling with Strong using that Super Sledge with me using the Power Fist IS A DELIGHT! OH WHAT A DAY! WHAT A LOVELY DAY! When we roll up, Let the Bodies Hit the Floor may as well be playing.

And if you're using the Furious Super Sledge, then that, plus Rooted plus the other perks to get you additional AP is straight up broken. You can go into VATS and totally avoid the issue of slow attack speed or enemies blocking your melee attacks.

It's way too good though. So much so that I gave it to Strong. There's something so satisfying to approaching an area loaded with tough enemies, looking at your current companion and thinking, "we need more power," then fast traveling to where Strong is. There really needs to be a fast forward feature to just jump to the middle of crushing enemies with ruthless aggression.

Stout - I have that same issue with the settlement alerts. It is just another bug with the game.

My favorite are the ones that have alerts that I have no settlers living at

And yes - you need to give people ammo if you want them to use other weapons (or they will pick it up themselves)

In regards to your issue with Cait - I have had that pop up with all my characters. I tended to notice it when they are multiple conversations go on. Like The Big Dig was a bitch because of 4 people speaking at once, my game freaked out.

Cait does suck as a lockpicker though

Totally spamming this thread now.

Finally discovered that Vault 81 had a somewhat satisfying conclusion. I found Ashes forever ago and finally decided to go bring that cat back to the girl in Vault 81. That opened up the last quest for that location.

For such a large location, there still isn't much to do, but what you uncover is surprising and really sinister. It made me start to wonder...

If Vault-Tec was headed and backed by completely mad scientists running the largest social experiment of all time: Instigating a nuclear war. I get inklings every now and then that Vault-Tec is the reason behind the bombs falling, but nothing specifically says that. Then you come across what happened at the secret Vault 81 with developing and using bioweapons on the people in the Vault when the people in the Vault thought they would be using those bioweapons on folks in the normal Vault 81. Considering that, and other bits of information you find, is it so crazy to assume that Vault-Tec used the destruction of the planet to run a massive experiment, or rather, run multiple experiments, and underestimated just how fucked the planet would be in the aftermath of nuclear war?

OH! And to add to that is the info you find in the toy making factory that they signed a contract to begin producing weapons and munitions when Vault-Tec made the request to do so, which they did pre-bombs falling. Although typing that out now makes me think I'm muddying the details, but I'm almost positive Vault-Tec was behind that toy factoring transitioning over to producing weapons in secret.

And finally, I'm probably alone, but I wouldn't mind if there were a secret quest made as DLC that had you discover that Vault-Tec had a working time machine to go back to a pre-war time or a portal device to take you into an alternate dimension not ruined by war. Seems like something Vault-Tec would have.