DVDVR Message Board

UFC 187: Johnson vs. Cormier (5/23/2015) - Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

That was an excellent night of fights from what I caught. I was thinking of all the future matches of Rumble's long championship reign including a big money fight with Jones if/when Bones should return. Then he gassed and it was all over. Disappointing but good on DC for surviving the blows when they landed.

Edit: also, LOL.

It's just so strange seeing all the DC "realizing his dream, he deserves this, ect." tweets. When we know he really isn't the best, and really wasn't even on the same level. 

Yeah when he tells Jones to "get his shit together", I am pretty sure in the back of his mind saying "man I hope not he whooped my ass last fight"  

You have to think that Cerrone is getting a title shot soon as he is more and more dominate.  of course soon for Donald will probably be in a year after 2 or 3 more fights

Unless something miraculous happens, Ryan Bader is about to challenge for a UFC title.

Jon jones get your shit together????? @dc_mma you need to get your shit together, you have a #1 contender right here waiting for you. - Ryan Bader

Excellent night of fights and will probably be card of the year.

Love Weidman, but I think he probably loses to Rockhold or Jacare.  I just hope he's not out rest of the year and will fight again soon.  

Cerrone needs to fight for the title next, but apparently he has busted ribs or something.  Hope that doesn't put him out a while. Travis Browne is proof that a sudden change in camp and trainers and completely changing your game is not always good for you.

Edmond has had mixed results, which is probably because he is primarily focused in boxing. However, I do think Browne and Ellenberger came to him at the wrong point in their careers. They're trying to be too technical when that's never been their game before. You can work on that when you're fighting guys on the way to the top, but you can't be doing that against the top of the division.

• Like 1

Say what you want about Ryan Bader, but he's basically been a perennial top 10 contender for the last several years.  And he has 12 UFC wins.

You can say that for about 7 of the 10 top heavyweight in the UFC but nobody believes that they have a chance at the belt unless something happens where Cain and verdum isn't the champ.  That is what is happening with Cormier.  Now that you have a weaker champion (or much weaker than the previous champion) you have people who now have chances,   

Say what you want about Ryan Bader, but he's basically been a perennial top 10 contender for the last several years.  And he has 12 UFC wins.

You can say that for about 7 of the 10 top heavyweight in the UFC but nobody believes that they have a chance at the belt unless something happens where Cain and verdum isn't the champ.  That is what is happening with Cormier.  Now that you have a weaker champion (or much weaker than the previous champion) you have people who now have chances,   

This means nothing to me because this sport is built on insane upsets and outcomes.  Rafael dos Anjos is lightweight champion.  No one believed he ever had a chance of becoming champion and beating Anthony Pettis.  

When BJ Penn was lightweight champion it looked like he was never letting go of that belt, and he ended up losing it to Frankie Edgar.  It was like no one wanted to be lightweight contender because it essentially meant a death sentence at the hands of BJ Penn.  

Conditions in this sport can change very quickly.  

Bader's been competing in the UFC for quite a while and he's been fairly consistent through most of that time.  I would never say he's a shown to be an elite competitor, but he's been successful.  He might not be as successful as someone like Carlos Condit or Frank Mir, but he's carved out a decent career for himself.  

Bader is willing to build up a fight. He is going get thumped, but at least someone is willing to roll with the punches. Right now, we have a deposed king and the usurper. So for however long it takes the true king to come back riding into the kingdom, the more beneficial it is for the UFC. Cormier is going to continue calling out Jones, and they have another fight that is a license to print money.

• Like 1

We have no idea when Jones will come back.  Cormier needs to defend the belt, and Bader is the perfect opponent for him to destroy and look good to build up to the fight with Jones.  

Gustafsson will need time to build himself back up.

Ryan Bader, possible UFC LHW Champ, is not a world I want to live in. What happened to this division?

You ain't been following the past five months?

Yeah, I know. Still, the only exciting DC match-up other than Jones coming back to put him back in place is a Gustafsson challenge and who knows if/when that will ever happen. Has there been any word on how bad Alexander's back injury is?

I mean, damn, that top 15 is looking horrendous and there aren't really any exciting prospects in there that haven't lost to somebody in the top 5 from what I can see. Maybe Jimi Manuwa can start to get on a roll again, or something... *shrug* Jimi Manuwa: LHW savior... SMDH. Gus, get better soon please.

Bader's going to go ahead and take full advantage of this windfall, and he should.  Bader is in the unique position of being on a win streak when everyone else is on a losing streak or suspended.  Bader can't beat Gustafsson, Cormier, Jones, and proably Johnson, but he smashes everyone else.  If I was him I would put on a suit, sunglasses, and start cutting promos like Ric Flair.  This is his shot, and he seems to be 100% prepared to take advantage of it.