DVDVR Message Board

The What Are You Watching Thread

jaedmc

I watched the Ted Dibiase/Ric Flair match that featured DiBiase's face turn on the Mid-South dvd I bought yesterday. The matches on the disc are crystal clear and for the first time, I noticed a bunch of ladies that were freaking out and screaming as they were getting sprayed with blood after every chop Flair delivers to a gruesomely bloody DiBiase.  At one point, the one lady, who is holding a little girl gets up and runs off. This ultimately was more captivating to me than the match.

• Like 1

I watched the Ted Dibiase/Ric Flair match that featured DiBiase's face turn on the Mid-South dvd I bought yesterday. The matches on the disc are crystal clear and for the first time, I noticed a bunch of ladies that were freaking out and screaming as they were getting sprayed with blood after every chop Flair delivers to a gruesomely bloody DiBiase.  At one point, the one lady, who is holding a little girl gets up and runs off. This ultimately was more captivating to me than the match.

not sure if that's more captivating than the young kids in the front row as Sullivan brutalized Kanemura in SMW. But always fun to see Mid-South finally brought the ladies aboard... and gave them a bloodbath.

The whole situation around that was superb. Didn't they put a good portion of TA/Wrestling II on that DVD too?

not sure if that's more captivating than the young kids in the front row as Sullivan brutalized Kanemura in SMW. But always fun to see Mid-South finally brought the ladies aboard... and gave them a bloodbath.

The whole situation around that was superb. Didn't they put a good portion of TA/Wrestling II on that DVD too?

Yeah.  They had two vignettes about the two and two matches: TA/II vs Midnight Express and TA vs II for the Mid-South title.  

I'll have to re-watch the Sullivan thing again and check out the crowd, but I'm telling you, the 4 ladies probably never sat front row again...

TA/Wrestling II is also great because you know there was a segment of the audience that got behind TA purely because they hated their HS football coach and they thought they got f'd over like how TA got f'd over by II.

One rule of wrestling that applied all the way to WM30. If the face comes down with a giant bandage/taping over some part of his body, that protection will get removed at some point

just watched Nitro from 4/14/97 (yeah, a day late, i know).

this has to be one of the best Nitros ever.  point #1: they're live from Philadelphia.

matches: Benoit vs Barbarian. short but vicious.

Dean Malenko © vs Hector Guerrero. not sure if this is for the US title. hector is totally underappreciated, even for his WCW stuff.

Ultimo Dragon © vs Lane Carlson (later known as Lenny Lane). for the TV title. better than you'd expect. still the weakest match of the bunch, and that's a compliment.

Syxx © vs  Prince Iaukea (iaukea lost his TV title last week to dragon). one of Iaukea's best matches to date.

Public Enemy vs High Voltage in a street fight. TPE is SO GODDAMN OVER that it's ridiculous. it's the best they've ever looked in wcw.

Giant vs Big Al. Big Al is 911 and he gets squashed. a small but vocal boo at the chokeslam. you have to know this is Bischoff fucking with ECW fans.

Harlem Heat vs Mongo & Jarrett in a surprisingly good match.

main event: Lex Luger vs Kevin Nash. show ends with Sting, Luger, DDP, and Giant in the ring with baseball bats. first time we've seen WCW united like this.

the next PPV isn't for another 4 weeks, but i would totally buy it if it was tomorrow.  THIS is the reason i'm watching all the Nitros in order again.

I've been watching some more USWA 1994 and up to mid June 1994. A lot of guys have left like Eddie Gilbert, Rotten Brothers and the Spiders. The Spiders lost a loser leaves town match vs the Eliminators when Bert Prentice turned heel. Bert is now managing the Eliminators and Spellbinder. Spellbinder doing magic as a heel looks bad ass. The main feud continues to be Brian Christopher vs Doug Gilbert. Lawler was feuding with PIper around this time so he wasn't in Memphis much. He faced Bam Bam Bigelow in a few matches. Doug Gilbert has formed a stable with Dream Machine and the returning Tommy Rich. They are managed by heel ref turned manager Scott Bowden. Scott got burned by Lawler so he wears a mask. PG-13 has returned as babyfaces and are feuding with the Eliminators. It started out with Wolfie D returning by himself and teaming with Spike Huber. Spike no showed at MSC show and Wolfie replaced him with JC Ice. USWA was in a holding pattern around the time it seemed. One of the best moments was Lance Russell taking a bump. Doug Gilbert was doing a interview and Brian comes out and just flies into Doug. Doug falls and hits Lance who falls back. Lance had to be in his 60s around this time.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLcXhZH8JCw

For some reason I had never seen this and caught it yesterday. Truly intense, this may be the benchmark for boneheadedly ignorant stiffness. The Diet Butcher (sporting an uncharacteristic and manly growth of beard) eats about a dozen lariats from Ikeda that are just brutal. His fighting spirit in coming back from all those might turn some off but I think it works in the context of BattlARTS: where only the toughest fight and anyone could win from a knockout or submission at any time. A total showcase for Otsuka too as he gets to show off all the freaky things in his arsenal, like the giant swing and tope con hilo. A must-watch.

damn you youtube!

just spent about 2 hours watching dark matches from before Raws (and even a couple Nitros!) from back during the Attitude era.

nothing really that great, but seeing Rick Fuller lose in WWF was a change of pace for him.  Lots of Scott Vick in 2000-2001 WWF. Mr. Perfect vs Brock Lesnar (jan 2002). Louie Spicolli ahead of his Nitro debut.

and then i saw Sting vs Bruiser Mastino (Kane) from some 1993 WCW, and i knew my day was complete.

Hulk Hogan v. George the Animal Steele. This being a heel Steele match, there's your usual hide-the-object fun. And also a slightly ridiculous sell job of the salt throw. Also, Solo-Vince on commentary and the Kiel Auditorium seems small

I never liked Dragon Gate and never really watched Toryumon but there was a match on a Phil comp between Genki Horiguchi and Susumu Mochizuki so I watched it as background noise. Man it is weird seeing NOAH junior whipping boy Genki wearing a surfer suit and coming out to the Beach Boys. Match wasn't super fast like I expected, seemed a bit more paced from what I saw and there was a really nasty Guillotine Driver (or whatever Omori calls it). Then in the end stretch they start rolling into these multiple preposterous lucha submissions and it was pretty entertaining. Maybe I've been missing out on some of this stuff.

I never liked Dragon Gate and never really watched Toryumon but there was a match on a Phil comp between Genki Horiguchi and Susumu Mochizuki so I watched it as background noise. Man it is weird seeing NOAH junior whipping boy Genki wearing a surfer suit and coming out to the Beach Boys. Match wasn't super fast like I expected, seemed a bit more paced from what I saw and there was a really nasty Guillotine Driver (or whatever Omori calls it). Then in the end stretch they start rolling into these multiple preposterous lucha submissions and it was pretty entertaining. Maybe I've been missing out on some of this stuff.

I think the NOAH junior whipping boy you're talking about is actually Genba Hirayanagi. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXuiGfbwIG4

Somehow a Kevin Sullivan tope wasn't the highlight of that 5 minutes. That Foley promo really made you forget how comically miscast Sullivan was as a good guy in the micro-feud with him and Foley. Not sure how much they really acknowledged the ear in WCW before that promo, but that was a good use of 5 minutes.

More 70's French stuff. These guys are smaller and don't lay in the uppercuts like Chaisne and Di Santo, so you get more of the lightweight stylings. Sanniez is your typical little tough nut, everything he does has a nice bite to it. Angelito is the flashier one, with the buttery smooth headscissor takedown and the tremendous set of eyebrows. At one point you very nearly get a sunset flip powerbomb to Sanniez on the apron to the floor, but it doesn't happen. The start is missing, but I don't think it's much.

• 2 weeks later...

I rewatched the Flair/Michaels Wrestlemania retirement match at the weekend. The finish still brings a tear to my eye :(

I vaguely remember the knock-on fued of Batista/Michaels being great after Wrestlemania too but don't have access to those matches

This is the shit. Les Celtes are Jean Corne (with the shorter hair and sideburns) and Michel Falempin, Gonzales is the one with the slaphead/long hair combo who you just can't take your eyes off. Mid 60's I think, weak finishes are par for the course in French catch it seems, but the rest is gold.

I rewatched the Flair/Michaels Wrestlemania retirement match at the weekend. The finish still brings a tear to my eye :(

I vaguely remember the knock-on fued of Batista/Michaels being great after Wrestlemania too but don't have access to those matches

And then Michaels transitioned pretty smoothly into the Jericho feud immediately after the Batista one - it was very organically done and one of my favorite recent WWE runs...

i mentioned in the Omnibus thread, but on tonight's (6/30/97) Raw, Michael Cole debuted and interviewed the Headbangers.

Jim Cornette returned with the Headhunters (i had no memory of them in WWF other than the Royal Rumble one year). and on Nitro, both Curt Hennig and Raven made their WCW debuts.

this lead me to wonder if Hennig and Raven ever faced each other, and it made me sad that nothing immediately popped up on youtube.

hopefully i'll find it on a random Saturday Night or Worldwide or something. my fingers are also crossed for Savage/Jericho.