DVDVR Message Board

The What Are You Watching Thread

jaedmc

Random 1997 Worldwide: The Amazing French Canadians v. Doc Dean and Robbie Brookside

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FPY7xO1N3w

------

and, a super-quick Japanese womens match from Worldwide too. Unless Wikipedia is wrong, Satomura was 17 when this match happened. Also love her method of just windmilling her arms for no apparent reason while running. This being WCW, i'm guessing Satomura randomly appeared a few months later and that they barely acknowledged this loss when Hosaka randomly appeared.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdwa2DIIWHI

• Like 1

extra random WCW matches

Meiko Satomura v. Toshie Uematsu from a March 1997 edition of Nitro. Yes, they decided the Women's Cruiserweight title on the Main Event, then it went to to GAEA, never to be acknowledged again in America. Not sure there's enough windmilling while running to make up for Larry Zbyszko. But both of them were very enthusiastic, even if they blew a spot or two on occasion

Vincent v. Lizmark Jr from Worldwide in 1999. Essentially the sort of match that EricR is going to wind up reviewing in a few months on Segunda Caida. Vincent has a logical setup/finisher sequence somehow. But the neckbreaker looked better.

Also, in non-WCW stuff. I saw an endless Bob Backlund/Jerry Lawler match from 1992 that was a bit agonizingly pointless. Watch Bob Backlund personally greet every fan at ringside. Try to decipher the mic work that occurs pre-match. Holy shit, will this wristlock ever fucking end? There's a Backlund/Murdoch match from the next night. I didn't complete it because I'm not sure it could cleanse the Backlund/Lawler experience. Those matches are from the WWA, promoted by Dennis Carluzzo. I don't know if I want Eric or Phil to watch Bob Backlund v. Jerry Lawler. I'm sure there's better Lawler indy matches from that time

Yeah I blame Arn. It really makes no sense if you've already seen his segment on the Greatest Stars of the '80s DVD where he's totally honest and talks about being a fan in school and breaking in to the business. 

Watched Team Beyond vs. Aeroform tag from Beyond Wrestling on one of the Schneider sets. I didn't really expect much, just a bunch of crazy spots, and that was certainly what I got but there was also some stiffness and selling and they kept it at a respectable length. There was some absurdity like Flip Kendrick moonsaulting from a crosslegged sitting position and a lot of the offense seems to be at random. Kendrick gets bonus points for having Huey from The Boondocks on his pants. Everybody dies a sweet hot death (one of the dudes rolling sentons himself right onto the floor from the apron and it looked like a Sabu botch; there are a couple disgusting head drops). What's the story about Beyond Wrestling? Are they just another indy?

It was weird to hear Tully talking about his failed drug tests while Arn is talking in kayfabe about how they kicked Luger out of the Horsemen b/c he got too big for his britches and that Sting got kicked out b/c he wanted a title shot.

I did love Flair's quote about the whole Black Scorpion thing though. "I was the Black Scorpion twice. Once in the ring that night and in the bar later." I can picture Flair river dancing in the bar and taking shots while wearing the Scorpion get-up.

• Like 1

I stumbled across Joey Ryan's promo that followed this match, didn't know there was even any of this thing online and it seems this is all there is - apart from that "Underground" thing with the sound effects. At least that didn't look like it had been filmed by a cartload of chimps. Interesting though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXKGoWyj54I

No wonder Katz never released this. It's badly shot, it's badly sound-edited, and horridly lit. I feel sorry for anybody who donated money to make this.

• Like 1

I am half-watching the first ever episode of Impact.  First face on screen: Don West.  So far we've had The Flying Elvises, the Johnsons, Jackie Fargo and Rickie Steamboat cutting promos, a catfight, Scott Hall, frequent ECW references, and an angle where all the good old Southern boys have a go at Truth for speaking truth.  I foresee only great things.

upon further thought, not sure i'd call 1995 WCW Saturday Night a C-Show, but I suspect the convo for this match went like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez1R0msdyTc

"Let's have JL face Lex Luger for 8 minutes"

"But JL has been a job guy, that'd make Luger look a bit too weak"

"Ok, let's have Jerry Lynn face Lex Luger for 8 minutes and we'll pretend it's Lynn's debut in WCW"

"Excellent!"

Also gonna cast votes for

a] the Dump Matsumoto victory strut at the end of Dump/Nagayo Hair v. Hair [the match is cut into 3 pieces since it was uploaded back in the old days of YouTube when people couldn't upload 9 hour long videos of every title defense by specific NOAH champions]. I randomly watched that and this Dump v. Jaguar Yokota match, and the whole Dump character I've seen is amazing. Not sure if I should get the impression that leather-bound knife-wielding giant schoolgirls were a consistent enemy of the AJW fanbase in 1985. But it's a pretty solid culture clash in a feud? someone can figure out which clashes were actually part of interesting feuds or what

b] Jerry Lawler v. Snowman, Redneck UWFI. I'm sure elements of this just happen these days in non-match brawls, but it'd be a little more interesting if people who were in a feud would just fight like they're in an alley angling to pick up the bottle from the ground to hit the other guy. I'm guessing one of these Japanese feds that buy light tubes in bulk have done some work with a beer bottles death match.

So in all honesty, there's lots of stuff on the YouTube, and it's cold outside

Heck, what's the best wrestling thing (that exists on film), which ISN'T on YouTube? something that has been DMCAed off of YouTube and not reuploaded yet? something that's in some dude's garage in a bucket of VHS tapes?

I reviewed WWF Primetime Wrestling 2/23/1987 here:

http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2013/12/wwf-primetime-wrestling-2231987-review.html

Overall thoughts: I enjoyed the second half of this. The midgets were good, the Islanders were good and the main was good. Bobby Heenan had some hilarious lines and really helped the show along. Check this one out.

Some shots from the show:

j.gif

e.gif

12-30-2013+12-00-39+PM.jpg

watched WCW Monday Nitro 12/30/96 today. what a blast of a show!

http://youtu.be/345Ujd6ylFA

Ultimo Dragon defends his newly-won Cruiserweight belt against Jushin Liger,

also,

Chris Benoit faces Chris Jericho in a hard hitting brawl,

Rey Mysterio, Jr. goes one-on-one with Dean Malenko in an excellent match that ends as a time limit draw,

Konnan vs. a member of the nWo in a strap match (was supposed to be Big Bubba but ends up being Wallstreet),

plus a Mexican midget tag team match!

and in non-matches, the Giant gets kicked out of the nWo after demanding a title shot.

Heck, what's the best wrestling thing (that exists on film), which ISN'T on YouTube? something that has been DMCAed off of YouTube and not reuploaded yet? something that's in some dude's garage in a bucket of VHS tapes?

I swear there's a Big Japan no rope barbed wire scaffold match with Matsunaga/Nakamaki vs. Nagasaki/Yamakawa that I've never seen online. It's not like it's the most amazing thing on the planet but there are some insane bumps, the chinzy wire setup results in it literally flying into the crowd, and Yamakawa shows why he will not have a career five or so years later. If I recall it was Matsunaga's return match after breaking his leg and him and Nakamaki's near useless ass heel it up bigtime. It was reviewed in DVDVR back in the day and I have it on VHS. 

Loads of old school Japan death match content is not on YouTube - I imagine it would get taken down. I'd like to see the BJPW shopping mall match appear, haven't seen that in many years and there is no way for me to legally purchase it.