DVDVR Message Board

The What Are You Watching Thread

jaedmc

The Hot Tag was excellent though.

But yeah, short of Chelsea Charms (181XXX cup) wrestling Kevin Nash in the future.. I think 42M is the record.

And Russo WCW in the first stint was the wrestling equivalent of snorting trucker crank for 3 months solid. What a fucking mess.

Then again, Heenan in Russo WCW was probably slightly better than him half-assing it for most of the late 90s

so anyways.. I just spent some quality time in 1984 Louisiana with..

II and TA tensions being inflamed

Humanitarian Terry Taylor taking lashing after II walked out on TA

and

Jim Cornette proving the truism about cakes in wrestling

Grumpy Mr. Wrestling II was so fucking awesome. You fucking know there were some dudes watching that in 1984 LA/OK/AR/MS who had old HS coaches who reminded them exactly of the sort of stuff II was pulling on TA. Nothing wrong with giving people the opportunity to possibly see representations of their irritations getting the comeuppance that those people couldn't provide in real life. But you probably knew that for awhile.

So I looked up that guy MuttonAndTheHam's Youtube profile. Here's a few of the things I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YGUYkrBrh8

I gave up and watched this just because, ya know, it's Tenryu. I was thinking "maybe this will be like a better version of when Kensuke Sasaki and Chono no-sold Onita and beat him up" but it's not. Pogo is the biggest powdered-ass pansy in this, complaining about Tenryu's stiffness with a resounding "FUCK YOU!". He tries to leave but Tenryu drags him back to the ring only for the Miracle Blade II to come out. Then despite that advantage he gets beat up some more and succeeds in a second escape attempt. Tenryu is standing in the ring bleeding and both him and Nise Pogo (Gosaku whateverhisnameis) look completely dumbfounded, which leads to the only good part as he tries to slink away but get gets grabbed and has the piss slapped/punched/kicked out of him. There is one slap that sounds like a home run hit. God Pogo was the drizzling shits, at least when Muta did this crap he had cool moves, when Matsunaga did he looked crazy and scary (and was willing to get destroyed), Pogo is on a Tiger Jeet Singh level of uselessness. The only good thing I got from this was the realization that '80s/'90s Tenryu and early 2000s Takayama would have been the greatest tag team ever, just for the cancer-victim promos alone. 

1) yes, Adnan/Sheik were around until the Royal Rumble and were losing to Slaughter in handicap matches in December 1991, the Iraq war ended in March

2) the heels really had a point here about Slaughter's loyalties. "Sgt. Slaughter even aligned with Adnan and Mustafa. Vote Adnan/Mustafa"

3) Iraqi colors made Sheik look really overweight

4) i'm guessing Adnan/Sheik were unintentionally doing the Bushwhacker walk around this time

So here's Slaughter v. Adnan/Mustafa

Oh man, Sheik doing the Nikolai prematch anthem routine. Slaughter gets to claim a residence in the entire state of South Carolina like it's 1983 again. Several minutes into the match, they decide it's going to be a handicap match with actual tags. Adnan/Mustafa weren't even high profile enough to job to the Cobra Clutch. It's not a capture the flag match, because Adnan is over 50 and Sheik is solidly over 3-bills and neither are going to climb a damn thing to get a flag. No, you just pin the guy and wave your flag. Then Slaughter does a 1984-esque pledge.

Man, Vince really banked on the Gulf War lasting longer than a few weeks, didn't he?

ok, i've seen the ECW home video comps, the documentaries, some shoots, and a few random ass PPVs during the TNN era. so i am woefully lacking in my ECW viewing. i'm now starting at the beginning and watching all the Hardcore TV/Supercards/PPVs that i can. one a week, probably no more.

kicked it off today with the first episode of "NWA Eastern Championship Wrestling on Sportsnet Philadelphia", the show that will later be known as "Hardcore TV".

not too bad but not great, either.  thoughts:

i really liked the music playing over the Super Destroyers entrance, but the less said about the rest, the better.

glad to see Hat Guy in the crowd.

The "Cosmic Commander" that accompanied Sal Bellomo to the ring was such an obvious ripoff of the Grand Wizard that it's embarrassing.

Stevie Wonderful is really annoying as a commentator.

they mention Winters and Stetson are #1 contenders for the tag belts, but both lose pretty easily.

Terry Funk saying that next week's show will be better is odd. i both love it and hate it.

watched the 2nd ep yesterday and the 3rd today. quick thoughts:

Eddie Gilbert has worn out his welcome. He's on 5 of the 6 segments of the week 3 show, and annoying on all 5 of them.

people complained about the ECW Zombie on the first episode of the Sci-Fi show, but they must've forgotten about the Kodiak Bear (who gets a title shot on #2) and Canadian Wolfman (who gets a tag title shot on #3). some pretty low rent stuff going on.

the TV Title Tournament came off pretty well but wasn't anything special. Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka wins it.

Surfin' Sandman is tremendous. but only in the "it's so bad it's funny" vein. it would've been just plain bad in '93.

Terry Funk's the only one on any of these shows that is over with the crowd.

Post Satanico v Dandy I've been watching a bunch of random Noches de Coliseo matches which still pretty consistently disappoint in the way Noches de Coliseo matches consistently have sections of miscommunication and sections of more elaborate finishes than neeeded. But whatever, I figure I need to start writing about them... Principe Guerrero I and II v. Angel Dorado Jr and Cometa jr.

I don't think I've ever seen Principe Guerrero II before. Have no idea if I've seen Dorado before and am positive I've never seen Cometa Jr before. Cometa Jr only has one arm. He has an above the elbow amputation on the right side. There was a guy in DTU with an amputated hand at one point and lord knows how many industrial accident victims there are wrestling in Mexico at this point.

Unfortunately we don't get the 1st fall so no one armed technical exchanges. Cometa Jr for a handicapped guy isn't very good at working sympathy guy taking a beating although there is a point where Principe Guerrero II starts chewing on his stump which is kind of grisly. Cometa Jr does have some fun offense as the off balanced arms make it look like he's really reeling back on chops, he also throws a nasty looking Misawa forearm with his stump, and kind of a reckless stump chop to the face on the floor at one point..

If Antonio Pena was still alive I imagine Zach Gowen would be in AAA feuding with Cometa Jr in midget, exotico, woman, handicaped wrestler and normal wrestler five on five matches.

Principe Guerrero II is charismatic which is a nice addition as my memory is that Principe Guerrero I and III were guys with moves but no charisma. Principe Guerrero I and Dorado Jr do a comedy spot based on wiping their hands across their balls and then shoving it in opponents face that I've never seen before.

If you want to see a one armed wrestler, some nice dives and guys shoving pube sweat in each others mouth, this is right there for you.

Apparently this is the 3rd time Super Fly has turned heel

Superfly had essentially been teasing a heel turn forever (maybe from 2007-2010) and it never happened and when it did finally happen it was kind of let down. But Superfly working as essentially Mercury of the Metal men/Dr Smith on Lost in Space (the member of team you can't trust not to leave his work or plot against you) was super entertaining. I think there is a D&D term for that.

So it's not just that Superfly turned heel on someone again. It's Superfly essentially warned a guy for three plus years that he was going to turn heel, was talked out of it a couple times, then finally did it, and was still let back in. Even Sting wouldn't fall for that.

Apparently this is the 3rd time Super Fly has turned heel

Superfly had essentially been teasing a heel turn forever (maybe from 2007-2010) and it never happened and when it did finally happen it was kind of let down. But Superfly working as essentially Mercury of the Metal men/Dr Smith on Lost in Space (the member of team you can't trust not to leave his work or plot against you) was super entertaining. I think there is a D&D term for that.

So it's not just that Superfly turned heel on someone again. It's Superfly essentially warned a guy for three plus years that he was going to turn heel, was talked out of it a couple times, then finally did it, and was still let back in. Even Sting wouldn't fall for that.

But Dustin would've.

Post Satanico v Dandy I've been watching a bunch of random Noches de Coliseo matches which still pretty consistently disappoint in the way Noches de Coliseo matches consistently have sections of miscommunication and sections of more elaborate finishes than neeeded. But whatever, I figure I need to start writing about them... Principe Guerrero I and II v. Angel Dorado Jr and Cometa jr

Whoah!  The recent Dandy-Satanico matches are out there???

I need to find this.

Not all of the matches. Just the Monterey match. There are actually three versions of Monterey match available (two different handhelds and one TV version).

I think the MrALVAROGZZ version is the best as the tv version feels heatless while the handheld has you hearing the audience. Tv version captures the bumps I think better.

Both Satanico and El Dandy are guys who are traditionally great at working an Edgar Kennedy style slow burn, and that's a match format I really like.  Both wrestlers sowly selling frustration with the other not taking them seriously enough and thus pushing harder is a story that I've always dug. The point in a Steamboat v Flair match where you move from chop exchanges to the first STIFF chop exchange. It doesn't matter if the same spots, it's about frustration leading to picking up the pace, and working tighter and stiffer. That kind of slow burn frustration leading to match build isn't really done alot anymore. I guess the closest we get to that is the "What will it take to put him away" melodramatic frustration face or variations on crying Kobashi. And those aren't matches that appeal to me as much.
There were big sections of Dandy winning exchanges till Satanico slowly burned to wanting to step up the game and then Dandy burned to wanting to step up in response. Satanico still looks awesome, but Dandy while he can facially sell slow burn didn't feel like he could pick it up to move into the third gear that Satanico moved into.
Part of the problem maybe that their opening work is so awesome and tighter than what most people are doing. Perhaps if they started looser, then the section where they pick it up would have worked better.
Still liked this enough that I watched it from three different angles.

They used to air Stampede Wrestling here on a cable channel I only got intermittently, but I vividly remember the blow-off to the Jason/Zodiak feud where it was revealed that Zodiak was actually Barry O.

I had no idea who that was, and I'd never seen Stampede Wrestling before that episode, but it's stayed with me for decades.

I watched the first four episodes of Continental Championship Wrestling from 1986. It was ok, but definitely not as good as the Southeastern from 1981 I watched a couple months ago. It was actually kind of confusing to follow, I'm not sure if the dates were wrong on the files I have or what, but it seemed like a guy would lose his title and the next week have it on TV again with no explanation. I saw Norvell Austin beat Adrian Street twice for the Southeastern title, with no explanation for how Street ever got it back.

Bob Armstrong is fun doing The Bullet gimmick, and is so bad at keeping "the secret" talking about "my son, I mean Bob Armstrong's son coming out to help me." But watching him do goofy dances at ringside before beating up on some jobber was worth watching. Other than that, there isn't much here I was real interested in. Norvell Austin feuding with Adrian Street over the Southeastern Title and The Rich Cousins in what seemed to be a never ending feud with The Nightmares over the tag titles weren't doing anything for me. Definitely not as good as Saito/Condrey/Rose vs. The Armstrong Family or even Jimmy Golden vs. Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller.