DVDVR Message Board

Spider-Man, X-Men, Wolverine, Fantastic Four and other non Marvel Studios films.

Disney made the right move though.  They basically traded all financial stake in the live action films in exchange for the TV and merchandising rights.  So they take no loss from any of these films really, while they can still reap all the rewards of the merchandise sales.

It's not gonna lose money.  It probably eeks a profit just on foreign box office, and even if it falls slightly short there, blu-ray/dvd/streaming/ppv/tv rights will put it in the black.

Of course, if it did actually lose money, maybe then Sony would have to consider giving up.  Because these last two movies so blatantly scream "WE MADE THESE TO KEEP THE RIGHTS" that it becomes literally distracting while watching the movies. 

At least the X-Men films feel like they have some sort of purpose beyond keeping control of IP.  I find none of that in these Amazing Spider-Man films, even in the parts I like.

Eh, I have no desire to see Fox lose the X-Men license.  They've built a nice little corner, and I've always preferred the X-Men be a bit removed from the rest of the Marvel U anyway.

But if they fuck up FF again, Disney should sue for the damn rights.

Really, though, I wonder if there is any amount of money that both sides would be happy with to allow Spidey (or Wolverine, for that matter) to appear in the big climatic battle of, say, Avengers 3.  I mean, they were originally planning to include the OsCorp building in the NYC skyline of Avengers, but the ASM team didn't finalize the design until too late.  This wouldn't be THAT much bigger.  Not have him join the team, maybe not even have a  single line, just, when, presumably, Thanos shows up, and the heroes begin Assembling for the biggest battle ever, have Pete be there.

I know, it will never, ever happen.  But damn it would be cool.

Except that Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 both were worlds better than ASM2...

They weren't, Iron Man 3 is one of the worst comic book films ever made but that's not really what I'm getting at. People who think if Marvel had all of these properties they'd be doing great things with them are sadly mistaken. Spider-Man's relationships are a huge part of who he is as a character and a key part of any movie. We've seen how Marvel Studios handles relationships in the Thor series and it's just awful. Natalie Portman's Jane character is a fucking black hole..

• Like 1

Disney made the right move though.  They basically traded all financial stake in the live action films in exchange for the TV and merchandising rights.  So they take no loss from any of these films really, while they can still reap all the rewards of the merchandise sales.

Didn't this result in The Spectacular Spider-Man getting cancelled? I think it did and if so, that's the most disappointing thing by far. If I had my way, The Spectacular Spider-Man would still be around and Marvel Studios would have rights to Spider-Man.

It's not gonna lose money.  It probably eeks a profit just on foreign box office, and even if it falls slightly short there, blu-ray/dvd/streaming/ppv/tv rights will put it in the black.

Of course, if it did actually lose money, maybe then Sony would have to consider giving up.  Because these last two movies so blatantly scream "WE MADE THESE TO KEEP THE RIGHTS" that it becomes literally distracting while watching the movies. 

At least the X-Men films feel like they have some sort of purpose beyond keeping control of IP.  I find none of that in these Amazing Spider-Man films, even in the parts I like.

Here's a scenario, what would happen if Marvel Studios get the rights to Spider-Man? Surely we wouldn't get a long origin film again. If they do, do a quick origin summary like The Spectacular Spider-Man and The Incredible Hulk. I'm guessing we would get a fresh cast not related to previous Spider-Man films. Are people tired of Spider-Man? Would that stop if Marvel Studios promote that they have the rights and their track record?

I'm okay with the X-Men at Fox. Fox have produced two really good X-Men films (X-Men/X-Men: First Class) and one of the best ever comic book films in X2. X-Men: The Last Stand was disappointing as Bryan Singer left after the first two films to do Superman Returns. X-Men Origins: Wolverine is the only X-Men film I haven't seen.

The only bad part about Spidey, X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Namor reverting back to Marvel is we would get far less "Marvel movies" a year. Marvel Studios caps out at 2 a year right now.

Its impressive how well Marvel Studios have done plus when you think about them not having some of the biggest Marvel characters. Might have stopped them concentrating on the characters rights they had and the lesser known properties like Guardians of the Galaxy/Ant-Man.

• Like 1

Didn't this result in The Spectacular Spider-Man getting cancelled? I think it did and if so, that's the most disappointing thing by far. If I had my way, The Spectacular Spider-Man would still be around and Marvel Studios would have rights to Spider-Man.

I didn't think it was the sole reason.  Not sure of all the details of the deal, but I imagine the Disney acquisition of Marvel was part of it.  Kind of like how Clone Wars got phased out at CN after Disney bought Lucasfilm.  But also, there was some changing of the guard at Marvel Animation as well.  Josh Fine moved on from his post and I think Todd Casey took his place.  Jeph Loeb became Head of TV.  Also, Marvel was opening their own animation studio and they want to make everything in house.  Spectacular was still Sony's show.  

So Marvel gets bought by Disney, gets the TV rights back, I imagine part of Marvel and Disney's new initiative was, "OK now we're making OUR own show and calling the shots now."

Also they had a new Spider-Man movie coming out, and Marvel/Disney probably wanted to capitalize on that because THAT's where it counts.  That's where they make all the money.  

And here's the kind of unfortunate thing about all this.  It's not the animated shows that are profitable.  The shows are used as vehicles to sell the merchandising, hence why there's not this emotional connection toward Spectacular Spider-Man that some fans have for it or like HBO has for the Sopranos, Entourage, or Game of Thrones.  

And it's not just Marvel, we've seen plenty of great action cartoons as of late of exceptional quality get the axe early because they were meant to sell toys or merch but they weren't moving the needle and doing what the corporate bosses were hoping.

I mean if I had my way, Wolverine and the X-Men would still be on.  I mean the show did great ratings, it was apparently doing well all over the world.  They started production on season 2, but for whatever reason there was no "funding" to finance season 2 anymore.  I just don't get how that works.  I don't get how Spider-Man and X-Men were sacrificed, but teen Iron Man was able to continue.

• Like 1

Like Captain America, Spider-Man just does nothing for me. The trailers for The Winter Soldier convinced me to see it on the big screen (i didn't bother with the first) and i'm glad i did, i think the only Spider film I've seen in the cinema was Spider-Man 2. Me and a friend will literally watch anything that looks half decent in the cinema, neither of us have any desire to watch the new Spider-Man film. I will watch it when its out on DVD/Blu-ray or on TV but i'm in no rush.

Here's a scenario, what would happen if Marvel Studios get the rights to Spider-Man? Surely we wouldn't get a long origin film again. If they do, do a quick origin summary like The Spectacular Spider-Man and The Incredible Hulk. I'm guessing we would get a fresh cast not related to previous Spider-Man films. Are people tired of Spider-Man? Would that stop if Marvel Studios promote that they have the rights and their track record?

For me it would probably get me a little more interested in the character, when hes on his own i'm given no reason to care about Spider-Man, him being apart of a bigger story would at least give me reason to watch. They definitely shouldn't do yet another origin story, Spider-Man is like Batman and Superman, everyone knows his story. Do it the other way around this time, introduce him in an Avengers film then give him a solo, if they insist on a 3rd origins story then do it like The Incredible Hulk and get it over with in the opening credits. 

As for The X-Men, i like the idea of keeping them separate, they never really fitted in with other Marvel characters for me. Powers from radiation? that's fine, super steroids? go ahead, alien? welcome to earth, naturally born with powers? freak! just doesn't make seance. 

• Like 1

I didn't think it was the sole reason.  Not sure of all the details of the deal, but I imagine the Disney acquisition of Marvel was part of it.  Kind of like how Clone Wars got phased out at CN after Disney bought Lucasfilm.  But also, there was some changing of the guard at Marvel Animation as well.  Josh Fine moved on from his post and I think Todd Casey took his place.  Jeph Loeb became Head of TV.  Also, Marvel was opening their own animation studio and they want to make everything in house.  Spectacular was still Sony's show.  

So Marvel gets bought by Disney, gets the TV rights back, I imagine part of Marvel and Disney's new initiative was, "OK now we're making OUR own show and calling the shots now."

Also they had a new Spider-Man movie coming out, and Marvel/Disney probably wanted to capitalize on that because THAT's where it counts.  That's where they make all the money.  

And here's the kind of unfortunate thing about all this.  It's not the animated shows that are profitable.  The shows are used as vehicles to sell the merchandising, hence why there's not this emotional connection toward Spectacular Spider-Man that some fans have for it or like HBO has for the Sopranos, Entourage, or Game of Thrones.  

I agree with all this. The best animated shows appeal to all demographics but that's a hard act.

I mean if I had my way, Wolverine and the X-Men would still be on. I mean the show did great ratings, it was apparently doing well all over the world. They started production on season 2, but for whatever reason there was no "funding" to finance season 2 anymore. I just don't get how that works. I don't get how Spider-Man and X-Men were sacrificed, but teen Iron Man was able to continue.

It's frustrating when acclaimed shows get cancelled if it isn't drawing the accquired amount of viewers and gets replaced by something inferior. I'll have to like your post later as I'm out.

• Like 1

Like Captain America, Spider-Man just does nothing for me. The trailers for The Winter Soldier convinced me to see it on the big screen (i didn't bother with the first) and i'm glad i did, i think the only Spider film I've seen in the cinema was Spider-Man 2. Me and a friend will literally watch anything that looks half decent in the cinema, neither of us have any desire to watch the new Spider-Man film. I will watch it when its out on DVD/Blu-ray or on TV but i'm in no rush.

I'd recommend The Spectacular Spider-Man to you. I've said it a lot here, its the best adaptation of Spider-Man I've ever seen.

Here's a scenario, what would happen if Marvel Studios get the rights to Spider-Man? Surely we wouldn't get a long origin film again. If they do, do a quick origin summary like The Spectacular Spider-Man and The Incredible Hulk. I'm guessing we would get a fresh cast not related to previous Spider-Man films. Are people tired of Spider-Man? Would that stop if Marvel Studios promote that they have the rights and their track record?

For me it would probably get me a little more interested in the character, when hes on his own i'm given no reason to care about Spider-Man, him being apart of a bigger story would at least give me reason to watch. They definitely shouldn't do yet another origin story, Spider-Man is like Batman and Superman, everyone knows his story. Do it the other way around this time, introduce him in an Avengers film then give him a solo, if they insist on a 3rd origins story then do it like The Incredible Hulk and get it over with in the opening credits.

As for The X-Men, i like the idea of keeping them separate, they never really fitted in with other Marvel characters for me. Powers from radiation? that's fine, super steroids? go ahead, alien? welcome to earth, naturally born with powers? freak! just doesn't make seance.

We're in agreement about the origin and the X-Men. I forgot to add in my proposed Marvel Studios Spider-Man that I like how MS treats their characters...Mandarin aside ; ). I also like MS using the comic book writers/artists for advice with their films, Adi Granov for Iron Man and Ed Brubaker for Captain America: The Winter Soldier. I'd do the same for Spider-Man. The rights to Spider-Man must still be pricey.

Re: Having comic writers on board. it isn't always a positive because for me personally, I cancelled a few Marvel Comics series for how shitty they had gotten. Wolverine and Iron Man involved in everything is too much, it's grating and then there was the need for Bendis to write every major story arc complete with terrible dialogue... I probably liked Age of Ultron more than most people but it simply did not deliver and that's just the start of things that went wrong...

Sony doesn't have any comic talent officially on board their Spidey "brain trust" afaik.

Of course, Fox hired Mark Millar so maybe it's a wash.

Cheers, Brian.

Re: Having comic writers on board. it isn't always a positive because for me personally, I cancelled a few Marvel Comics series for how shitty they had gotten. Wolverine and Iron Man involved in everything is too much, it's grating and then there was the need for Bendis to write every major story arc complete with terrible dialogue... I probably liked Age of Ultron more than most people but it simply did not deliver and that's just the start of things that went wrong...

I agree that having comic book writers on board depends on whether you like their work or not. Spider-Man will always be Marvel biggest character to me but now film wise, isn't there an argument for Iron Man particularly, Captain America and Wolverine? Could that extend to them and the other big name Avengers in film/animation? Depends on your perspective.

Spider-Man was the biggest but two things happened that have nothing to do with the quality of the Amazing Spider-Man series.

1. Robert Downey Jr. He carried Iron Man and Avengers into the stars. Captain America and Thor are both experiencing post-Avengers bumps but it was Downey Jr. that created the license to print money. Whatever he's paid for Age of Ultron will not be enough.

2. Franchise fatigue. We just saw a Spider-Man trilogy less than a decade ago. We certainly did not need another origin. That's why I'm glad Superman/Batman is skipping another Batman origin because it's just not necessary. Plus, it didn't help that Spider-Man 3 was one of the worst films ever made. It soured a lot of people on the Spider-Man franchise. People (including me) groaned when they heard there was already a new series of movies in development.

• Like 2

Spider-Man was the biggest but two things happened that have nothing to do with the quality of the Amazing Spider-Man series.

1. Robert Downey Jr. He carried Iron Man and Avengers into the stars. Captain America and Thor are both experiencing post-Avengers bumps but it was Downey Jr. that created the license to print money. Whatever he's paid for Age of Ultron will not be enough.

2. Franchise fatigue. We just saw a Spider-Man trilogy less than a decade ago. We certainly did not need another origin. That's why I'm glad Superman/Batman is skipping another Batman origin because it's just not necessary. Plus, it didn't help that Spider-Man 3 was one of the worst films ever made. It soured a lot of people on the Spider-Man franchise.

Great points.

And that new origin film being roughly of similar quality to Spider-Man 3 (honestly, I'm not sure it wasn't worse) really didn't help.

They wanted it to be Batman Begins, a reboot that was good but not great at the box office, but was well received and set up much more successful sequels.  Instead it basically confirmed that it only existed to keep the license.

• Like 1

They weren't, Iron Man 3 is one of the worst comic book films ever made but that's not really what I'm getting at. People who think if Marvel had all of these properties they'd be doing great things with them are sadly mistaken. Spider-Man's relationships are a huge part of who he is as a character and a key part of any movie. We've seen how Marvel Studios handles relationships in the Thor series and it's just awful. Natalie Portman's Jane character is a fucking black hole..

Helloooooooooooo hyperbole/opinion given as a declarative fact.

• Like 1

Helloooooooooooo hyperbole/opinion given as a declarative fact.

Yes because you and the rest of the internet don't do this all the fucking time :)

Brian's favourite mutant cast...

The role of Gambit in the X-Men movies has been cast. Step forward Mr Channing Tatum...

It's definite: Channing Tatum is joining the X-Men franchise, in the role of Gambit.

It's a piece of casting that had been rumoured for some time, with news breaking last month that Tatum had been in discussions with producer Laura Shuler Donner about the role. "I would die to play it", Tatum had previously said of the part. You can read the earlier report here.

Gambit is expected - but not confirmed - to be a part of 2016's X-Men: Apocalypse, as well as a candidate for an X-Men spin-off movie.

Total Film has confirmed Tatum's casting as Gambit, direct from Shuler Donner. "It is Channing", she told them when asked about the role at the UK X-Men: Days Of Future Past premiere last night.

More news as we get it...

Credit: denofgeek.com