DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2014: SEPTEMBER

Dolfan in NYC

The last three years at least.  A quick Google search shows THIS from 2012.  I think once Joe Torre started overseeing the umps they started announcing the suspensions.

I wonder if it's related to the ill-fated quitting of all the umps a few years back.

Yeah.  I think so.  When MLB essentially busted the umpires union after their walk-out, Frank Robinson and Joe Torre essentially showed them little mercy.

Sadly, that has not exactly made umpiring any better.

I am just going off of this - which has the A's-Giants AAA jumble.  And this - which has the Brewers likely taking Fresno.  Those are LIKELY, not definite.

And from the first link there is also this:

Other available Pacific Coast League affiliates, based on today’s minor-league filings: Fresno, Albuquerque, Colorado Springs and Oklahoma City in descending order of likelihood for Oakland.

As with anything AAA-related, things can change in a heartbeat.  

And SUPPOSEDLY, the Rockies are moving their AAA team to Alberquerque, while the Dodgers seem set on OKC.

All of this is a big ol' maybe still since nothing is definite until after the season.

And the A's officially move their AAA team to Nashville.

Astros are apparently going to Fresno, which means the Brewers are the team left with Colorado Springs. Poor guys.

Also, things are getting interesting in high-A. The Cubs took Myrtle Beach, the Indians grabbed Lynchburg, and the Reds came back east to take Daytona...meaning that the last hope for the Braves on the east coast is Carolina. Otherwise, they'll be forced into Bakersfield. I'm sorry, but that would make me laugh, and laugh, and laaaaaaaaugh...

Weird.  I kept seeing mentions of the Astros moving back to Round Rock this offseaon.

Ahh, here we go (though this is from April, the rumors were bubbling again recently).  It was hopeful thinking on the Stro's/Ryan's/Round Rock's part as some thought the Rangers could be bought out of the deal.  But with the options ugly for the Rangers this offseason, I can see why they would refuse.

Yeah.  Basically, it's a perfect storm of many contracts ending at the same time.

Seems to happen every 3-4 years or so.  It all depends on contracts, MLB teams giving AAA teams shitty teams and cities building new stadiums for their AAA teams.

So I went to the Cubs game yesterday, which was awesome.

A game saving outfield catch by Chris Coghlin was made practically right in front of where I was at.

What was not great were the helmet nachos. It's a baseball helmet full of nachos. An actual adult sized helmet. In lieu of drinking many beers since I had to drive back home that same night, I had a fucking Cubs helmet full of nachos. What a goddamn ridiculously bad misstep. I urge all of you, if your team has the same thing, to avoid that shit, or at least have a group of 5 or 6 people help out. You will have a food hangover. Guaranteed.

re: the PDCs. Teams can only renew them for even year agreements, so every other year, we tend to see some sort of movement.

The trend in recent years is to have as many teams close to home as possible, with the AA and AAA teams extremely close in case teams need an emergency call up. Needless to say, a club like the Mets, who have their AAA team in Vegas and their AA club in Binghamton are in a tough situation if they need to bring a major league guy up right away.

re: the PDCs. Teams can only renew them for even year agreements, so every other year, we tend to see some sort of movement.

The trend in recent years is to have as many teams close to home as possible, with the AA and AAA teams extremely close in case teams need an emergency call up. Needless to say, a club like the Mets, who have their AAA team in Vegas and their AA club in Binghamton are in a tough situation if they need to bring a major league guy up right away.

That's not the ONLY reason the Mets are in a tough situation.