DVDVR Message Board

CHIKARA King of Trios 2014 - 9/19 to 9/21

nate

I was mildly let down by Night 1 (caveat: arrived late, sat in last row). Not enough festive import/veteran teams as previous years - budget crunch? The veteran workers seem much more polished for the sabbatical but several of the the new folks really lacked ring presence, timing and smoothness. Some stuff was groan-worthy. The matches were not laid out as well as in (my memory of) the days of old, and several finishes were weak. Standouts for really great workers were Fire Ant, Silver Ant, Worker Ant, Dr. Cube, Blaster McMassive, Max Smashmaster and LAX (who fit in perfectly and were brilliant). I sorely missed seeing The Batiri. 

- RAF

• Like 1

It's weird that he is begging for gear considering his wife does all the gear for the Chikara wrestlers.

"Wife, sew me a whole new outfit in 24 hours, STAT!"  Come on, use your brain.  

And what the fuck did Teddy Hart do (recently) to piss you guys off?  Wrestlers sometimes will show up to watch a big show they're not booked on.  Who gives a fuck?  Okay, bringing his cat along is weird, but I speak from personal experience that Ted is a weird guy.  It sounds like he did nothing but sit there, watch the show, and at one point try to start a chant...LIKE ANY OTHER AUDIENCE MEMBER.  And we get two pages worth of ragging on him for doing nothing.  Why?

And what the fuck did Teddy Hart do (recently) to piss you guys off?  Wrestlers sometimes will show up to watch a big show they're not booked on.  Who gives a fuck?  Okay, bringing his cat along is weird, but I speak from personal experience that Ted is a weird guy.  It sounds like he did nothing but sit there, watch the show, and at one point try to start a chant...LIKE ANY OTHER AUDIENCE MEMBER.  And we get two pages worth of ragging on him for doing nothing.  Why?

At just about any other indy show he would've been fine.  It's just because you're not supposed to swear at Chikara shows.  They have a "this is a family-friendly show, please don't swear" announcement at the start of every show.

I'd personally give Teddy the benefit of the doubt and assume he just didn't know rather than that he was trying to cause trouble.  

What "two pages" are you reading, Jingus?  Are there two pages ragging on Teddy in another thread that I'm unaware of?

And when you go to a "family friendly" show, and you're fully aware of what Chikara is about, and you then try to start a "Holy Shit" chant ... that's beyond "weird," that's being a fucking asshole.

Edit: What SKoS said, too.  *Maybe* he didn't know ... ok, possible.  Dreamer and Daniels both had to be reminded by the crowds at their particular appearances not to swear, which they quickly apologized for, and that could have also been "didn't know" or "heat of the moment."  But still ... this is Teddy Hart, who has a history for willfully stirring shit up.

Okay, I haven't actually seen a Chikara show in years, I didn't know they had a no-swearing policy.  Which seems odd;showing children a three-hour marathon of violence is okay, but profanity isn't?  Huh?  Reminds me of the penultimate Marlon Brando line from Apocalypse Now: "We train young boys to drop fire on people, but we won't let them write FUCK on their airplane because, it's obscene! "  I know that Quack&Co. pride themselves on being the lighter side of wrestling, with the goofiest of cartoony spectacle being the status quo.  Just seems kinda odd.  

Digression: Why SHOULD small children be at any wrestling show at all?  I've never understood that.  It teaches them that violence solves problems, at an impressionable age when they're young enough that they can't really comprehend the difference between fantasy and reality.  And they're SO incredibly vulnerable to being hurt if anything goes awry.  

Odds are that Teddy was probably stoned, didn't even realize he was doing something wrong, and went for one of the most traditional of all wrestling chants.  Inappropriate?  Yeah, Ted, play by the house rules.  But I doubt it was actively malicious.  

I think the Chikara, on some level, appeals to parents who grew up as wrestling fans. My daughter was 4 when we saw the "Ghost of You Clings," and she viewed it as a real-life cartoon ... she thought Saturyne was awesome for being able to defeat "a boy" (Tim Donst). She laughed at "the Super Ants," and fell in love with Ophidian ("Snake Man"). When a botch in the Amasis/ Kobald match looked like it injured Amasis, she got worried for his well-being. I don't think that she viewed it as any more violent than an ep of Tom & Jerry. It seemed that it was like a comic book playing out in front of her.

And it was really nice to share a love of the pro grappz with her w/o worry of some drunk fan with his "holy shit" or "she's got herpes" chants.

• Like 2

Fair enough.

No hard feelings, man? My earlier post now reads like me being kind of an asshole (I suppose in light of Pete's comment), and I am going to make concentrated efforts to be less of a caustic jerk in light of my prior Jaecation and an interaction with a former poster that for some reason seemed to have an impact on said poster's ousting. Guess I'm more sensitive to how I come across.

Tl; dr: We still peeps?

Marchie Archie pointed out that both teams...

ThreePeckOh beat broke up immediately afterward (Jigsaw turning on GEKIDO, Dr. Cube/Jacob turning on Ares)

He also alluded to the negative crowd reaction to 3 Peck 0.  Felt bad for him, he was in full damage control mode by Sunday.  I think some fans needed to relax a little with the booing.

• Like 1

Fair enough.

No hard feelings, man? My earlier post now reads like me being kind of an asshole (I suppose in light of Pete's comment), and I am going to make concentrated efforts to be less of a caustic jerk in light of my prior Jaecation and an interaction with a former poster that for some reason seemed to have an impact on said poster's ousting. Guess I'm more sensitive to how I come across.

Tl; dr: We still peeps?

S'aright, dude.  I didn't understand the full context of the event and flamed up a bit myself, sorry.  As a looooooong-time Teddy Hart defender, I'm just kinda twitchy at times.  Ted truly is a helluva nice guy IF he likes you, but he grew up in such bizarre circumstances that it's fucked with his head and given him a really skewed outlook on life.  We all know how being inside The Wrestling Bubble can kinda hurt how we relate to the rest of the world; imagine being RAISED in the bubble from infancy.  We saw what it did to the Von Erichs, for chrissakes.  In some ways I'm relieved that the worst thing Ted does is just say a lot of weird shit at inappropriate times.  

Any word on how Team UK looked? Both Dunne brothers are regular headliners in my hometown company, so I'm hoping they made a decent impression.

Perfectly good, but they didn't blow me away.  You might get more out of their matches than I did.

I did think night 2 was the best of the three shows, and I had a chat with someone who thought Team UK's night 2 match was MOTN, so there's that.

• Like 1

Personally I didnt notice any booing of 3peck0 / Shane Matthews on tape. What did he do to piss people off on Twitter?

I thought the shows were laid out really well, with the big Flood v Chikara story woven into all three nights.

The shows did suffer a little bit from not having the special attractions we've seen in years past (replacing the Spirit Squad with pretty much any trio you can think of would've helped this, as they brought nothing to the table) but the work was very sharp as usual.

The pop for the Gentleman's Club was fantastic as was the Dr. Cube reveal.

Shynron is fucking unbelievable.

Attended night 2.  It was my first Chikara show since night 2 of the last Tag World Grand Prix, so it has been several years.  I didn't really know most of the wrestlers or much about the storylines other than what I read over the last few weeks.  

Overall, I enjoyed myself and thought it was easily worth the $20.  Seemed to be a bit too much comedy for my tastes, but it did make the main event featuring Eddie Kingston that much more different and exciting to me.  Match of the night for me was the opening four-way.  I'm not a huge flippy fan, but when it is done well it can be great.  I liked that a lot.  The second four-way, I though, came across as a bunch of people doing stunts, so it was a clear difference between how to do it right and how to do it poorly.  

I may try to follow Chikara a bit more closely now and see if I can get back into it.

• Like 1