DVDVR Message Board

The WWE Total Divas Thread

rzombie1988

So is episode 13 the season finale, or mid-season finale? as last season there was like 20 episodes. Next season should be fun if Johnny Ace is in the mix and they should work Big E into the show more, maybe have a faux relationship with Nattie's sis for the show. Also if you could drop one cast member who would be, I'd probably pick Nattie because of her compulsive liar ways but she's wrapped up in a lot of different story arcs (Her sis and Big E if that's going to be a thing/TJ's injury/the TJ & Cesaro stuff  etc), or maybe Paige because although she's fun at times with the 3 Amigas she has come across as totally unlikeable too. TD is basically a vehicle for the Bellas and like it's been said, the best characters on the show are not on the regular cast but like Big E or Jon (Jimmy Uso) among others. I wonder if they flipped it and did a show on the boys in the back whether that would be better or not? and who would be featured. New Day would be fun, maybe Jon doing his standup comedy stuff, Ryback READING BOOKS~! and being the Phil Jackson Zen master type character and then focus on a few others. 

• 3 months later...

I saw a few minutes of an ep the other morning while flipping around. Nattie was staging an intervention for Anvil, who could only speak in terms of spots he did in the 80s, while Brie was upset that Nikki was about to spend $15K on a purse. A talking head segment with Nikki said, "If two vegetables came together to form a one of a kind vegetable, Brie would have to buy it, too.". 

Can't believe I stopped watching the show. It's the most ridiculous and stupid enjoyable entertainment WWE produces.

It's that time again!

Time to sit around wondering what a cheesecake made with provolone would taste like?

No!

Time for you to blatantly rip off this gag from Animaniacs?

No! Well yes, but no, it's time for...

Lessons on how to be a horrible person by The Total Divas!

And we kick off the new year with a THEME episode, the theme of: AVOIDANCE

First off, we'll start off with a lesson in basic avoidance from our hairiest Total Diva, Daniel Bryan, and Mrs. Goatface, Brie. To start, Daniel avoids telling Brie he has fuck-all interest in what sounded like working customer service at a farmer's market.

Now you might be asking, "Wasn't he just being polite by not pooh-poohing the idea right in front of them?" or "Wasn't he offering Brie subtle hints (and by 'subtle' we mean 'blatant') the whole time?

To the former, I'll note that he kept avoiding coming out and saying no right up until forced with the prospect of working retail. To the latter...ok, you caught me. The real lesson in avoidance here was from Brie, who sidestepped such obscure hints as "I really want to wrestle again," and "If I can wrestle again, I will," to try and start planning the rest of his non-wrestling life for him.

For an intermediate lesson in avoidance, we turn to Paige. On the plus side, she managed to avoid dealing with the situation for so long that her mother became aware of it when last season ended. She also made some key mistakes, though. She told all her friends, which is a problem because they might've either motivated her to solve her problem, or just might've spilled the beans, leading to a resolution whether she liked it or not. She actually managed to avoid those avoidance pitfalls, but then fell prey to the classic avoidance blunder: avoiding shit so completely that SOME of your avoidance gets questioned, and the truth wills out. Still, good effort by the plucky young avoider.

For expert-level avoidance, we turn to Nicole, who avoided telling her boyfriend about her ex's pass because reasons. Eventually she had to tell him, but still, that's some gooooood avoidance right there.

Of course, the avoidance MASTER was in display in the personage of one Jonathan Wilberforce Cena, who avoided anything resembling a human reaction in response to Nikki's revelation.

Other moments of horribleness:

Paige eavesdropping.

Paige bringing Dolph to the fish massage place without telling Nikki under the premise that she would "mediate", and then just sitting there uselessly while fish sucked her toes.

Paige hanging up on her mum.

Other moments of horribleness, not-Paige edition:

Dolph deciding that the way back into Nikki's heart lead through "insulting the shit out of Cena."

Nattie offering her recovering alcoholic father booze as a joke because her husband was hurt.

Nikki for telling Cena about Dolph in a public place and then griping that he didn't make a scene.

• Like 8

I thought all this time WWE was only focusing on making sure the Divas' stories were synced with the main product, but after watching the whole Ziggler/Nikki/Cena stuff, perhaps this goes deeper. We have all heard tales about how the backstage environment in WWE is both politicial and petty. If Ziggler were to do what he did in real life, he would be jobbing, far from a title, having meaningless matches, and bouncing around the mid-card with no real direction. However, that is EXACTLY what Ziggler has been doing. Granted, this is due in large part of WWE not wanting any real stars and loving 50/50 booking, etc., but this Total Divas angle works on both the meta and kayfabe levels as now Dolph's senseless direction can be pointed to the kayfabe reason of him fucking up backstage code and being de-pushed because of it, instead of the real meta reason (as noted above). WWE has indirectly (depending on how you feel about conspiracy theories), just synced the career trajectory of Ziggler with Total Divas.

Total Divas has done everything WWE Proper was not able to do in regards to making me like Cena's personality. I like John Cena the wrestler, but John Cena the man (outside of Make A Wish, etc.) handles his relationship like I handle mine. Calm, cool, and collected. His response to Nikki was the right response. There is no reason for Cena to cause a scene and make a fool of himself. Both him and Nikki are grown-ups and he has his expectations of his woman. Good stuff.

Back to Ziggler! Ziggler was great this whole episode! He knew the material he was given was hammy and he decided to play it up. With Dolph Ziggler walking around looking how he looks- I am sure the last person he is obsessing over is Nikki Bella. Nikki tried to bust out her acting chops, but Dolph was having none of it. He knows whats going on while Nikki is hoping to use this footage in her demo reel.

AND WITH THAT SAID....

Best: Brie Bella

This is a controversial choice depending on where you stand on the debate. I have read about too many wrestlers ending up broke, disgruntled, and addicted to drugs and/or alcohol after his/her professional wrestling career has ended. The WWE schedule doesn't really allow for much of a life outside of WWE/pro wrestling which is why its always cool to hear when someone has a back-up plan (like DDP always preaches) and ultimately WANTS to work for WWE instead of NEEDING to work for WWE. I have no interest in seeing Daniel Bryan die in the ring, spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair, or pull a 'Benoit'. Loving wrestling is all well-and-good, but its also good there is some voice of reason he can come home to that isn't a huge mark for the business that is working with him and a team of lawyers to get Brian out of his WWE contract and into NJPW. Brie Bella can be VERY annoying, but I think she was right on the money in this episode.

Worst: Nikki Bella

The confrontation with Ziggler supposedly happened (if we are to believe the editing) on Mon. 6/29/2015 in Washington, DC backstage at the Verizon Center. Nikki decides to talk to Cena about it on Sat. 7/4/2015 in Tokyo, Japan after the event at the  Ryoguku Arena. Five days and two continents later, she decides to tell Cena despite running into him multiple times in person and of course having all of his personal contact information? Between the initial encounter and the Cena dinner: Nikki flirts with her ex, brags about an unprovoked assault, is condescending to a member of the press, and avoids having an honest conversation with her boyfriend all for the SAKE OF THE BUSINESS! All around just flat out terrible. The fact that the majority of this episode involved Nikki speaking in her whinny voice made it all the worse.

Glad this show is back. I also noticed some timeline manipulation with the Milwaukee Smackdown show being on July 7th (with the car conversation being re-shot since they're at the arena in the first shot, but then being on the other side of town for the rest of the conversation) but then showing the footage from Japan after.