DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2014: JULY

Dolfan in NYC

For Addison Russell and a couple other prospects.  Russell is yet another can't-miss SS, so I now expect TheoCorp to magically turn Javier Baez into David Price.

Well, maybe not, but you can't play three shortstops so something has to give.

As a Cubs fan, this is an incredibly interesting move in terms of "Where the fuck are our prospects gonna play"

We got a few good prospects, but the money prospect is Addison Russell, ranked the 11th best prospect in baseball. The thing is, he's a SS. The Cubs already have Castro (obviously) and Baez. Do both move? If they. Both move into the 2B and 3B spots, Bryant and Alcantera to the OF?

The Cubs long term plan of "we are gonna out score you all every game" is kinda cool though.

For Addison Russell and a couple other prospects.  Russell is yet another can't-miss SS, so I now expect TheoCorp to magically turn Javier Baez into David Price.

Turning a SS into a 2B or 3B is a lot easier then turning a 3B or 2B into a SS.

And if we do make a big trade, I'd bet on Stanton over Price.

Turning a SS into a 2B or 3B is a lot easier then turning a 3B or 2B into a SS.

And if we do make a big trade, I'd bet on Stanton over Price.

There is that.

Well, like you said, one could play 2B, one could play 3B, and Bryant in the OF.  That seems pretty good.

EDIT: Oh and one of the other players in the deal is Dan Straily, a pitcher who finished 4th in rookie of the year voting last year, but had a rough start this season and was sent down to AAA.

For the love of god, don't read too much into having depth on the left side of the infield. These things have a way of working themselves out. There wasn't much of a chance Baez was going to stick at short anyway. Also, I have no idea why Cubs fans think they're going to be trading for Price - it's not as if he has an incredibly friendly team contract that'll keep him in town for the next decade. Giving up talent on the off-chance you're going to sign him to an extension before he hits free agency is silly. The dude is going to get his $200 million one way or another.

• Like 1

I love this deal. Love it. As usual, since the Cubs have no shot at the post season this year, I hope the Braves win it all. If not them, then it looks like the A's have a helluva shot.

It is fun trying to figure out the Cubs lineup barring moves for the next few years.

Next year, Bryant and Alcantara will be in the majors, probably from day 1. Baez could make a run for it if he keeps playing like he has recently (his power numbers have been down recently, but he has actually learning that at higher levels you need to have more patience at the plate, and the increased selectivity has led to an average increase as well as him taking walks). It's probably unlikely Russell starts next year at the majors, letting us go Bryant-Castro-Baez-Rizzo across the infield, with Alcantara starting in CF. When Russell is ready, I guess Bryant goes to Right, Castro to 3rd and Russell takes SS.

Then you toss on Schwarber and Almora, who have a solid shot of being ready for 2016.

Don't forget about Soler either for the future. So yeah, saying the Cubs have an extreme amount of prospect riches is an understatement

Only reason I didn't mention Soler (or Eloy Jimenez for that matter) is that I just don't have a real accurate time table for promotion for those guys. Good-Great young players, but when are they up?

Best description: McKinley, the OF the A's gave us, was there 2nd best prospect. he doesn't make our top 10.

Almora also mashed last year. He's struggling as a 20-year old in high-A, but that's not a reason to be concerned at all.

I think the success of Trout and Harper has warped some people's perception of prospects. Not every stud minor leaguer is ready for the majors at 20/21 - those guys are the outliers. Also, not every stud minor leaguer turns into a superstar. Look how much hype surrounded Jason Heyward, and look at him now. He won't be 25 until next month, is 20th in fWAR since debuting in the majors, and gets called a bust. It's madness.

The Yanks also DFAed Alfonso Soriano which I think almost any rationale Yankee fan expected to happy at some point this season... especially, again, the Yanks technically weren't pay his salary this year.

They were on the hook for $5 million, which nearly half the Yankees roster was making more than. I'll actually applaud the Yankees for cutting bait on him and Wells instead of still trying to fit them into their plans.