DVDVR Message Board

[LLDSS] STAGE TWO - NATURAL DISASTERS vs. COLOSSAL CONNECTION

RIPPA

LLDSS STAGE TWO - FIRST ROUND  

31 members have voted

1. 1. DISASTERS vs. ANDRE/HAKU

• NATURAL DISASTERS (Earthquake/Typhoon)
    • COLOSSAL CONNECTION (Andre the Giant/Haku)

This was tougher for me that you would think

Mainly because I am acknowledging that Andre was about done when the Colossals where around. Plus I am a HUGE Tenta mark.

But almost dead Andre is still better than Typhoon

• Like 1

Broken down Andre is better than 90% of all wrestlers ever. I really, truly believe that. He's one of the smartest workers I've ever seen and he has a natural set of tools and natural presence that even a dumb wrestler would have a hard time screwing up. Every single thing he does is exactly what he should do at almost every moment in 1989. They have the MSG match with Demolition which is very, very good. 

I just don't know if I can vote them over the Disasters, mainly due to body of work. Their babyface run had some of the best WWF squashes ever. They were literal squashes. I think there was one with Bob Bradley that was just off the charts great. They also have some fairly good televised matches, most especially the Summerslam match vs the Beverly Brothers which, to me, is better than Bret vs Davey for that card. Typhoon wasn't worth a ton but he could play his role at least somewhat and has the best big splash ever. They're hurt the most by the death of filmed house shows in 1992. If we had more of their matches in late 92 early, early 93 vs the Headshrinkers, I think we'd be better off. 

Ultimately, I like the Demos vs Colossal Connection match too much not to vote Andre though. The idea that broken down Andre wasn't great is more insane than the idea that Brody was the best brawler ever or whatever. 

Going with the Disasters, man. 

Now if we'd dispensed with DiBiase / Willams and the Colossal Connection and gone with the Megabucks (DiBiase / Andre) I would probably have gone with the Megabucks.

Apparently Andre and Ted DiBiase vs. Baron Scicluna and Jerry Valiant from 79 is either very much worth watching or not worth watching at all. It's whether you trust a snooty British Shakespeare professor or a burnt out deadhead. 

I had to mull this one over for a sec.  As noted, Andre was pretty well done by the time he started teaming with Haku.  And I like John Tenta a lot.

Then I pictured Tugboat in his white pants and striped red tank top and my indecision was over.  Besides, the Disasters weren't that big a deal.