DVDVR Message Board

DVDVR BOOK CLUB ANNOUNCEMENTS

jaedmc

I think splitting this book up in particular was perfect, because it was pretty long and there would've been huge spoiler issues with certain parts.  With anything where the plot takes significant turns, it's cool to look back and check if anyone saw any of it coming at the midway point.  Also because the writing here was just so good, everyone has a chance to get their comments on the writing out of the way with the first thread, and then maybe give some more thought to the actual substance of the book in the second thread, if that makes sense.

With some other books, it might not work so well.  I think it would make the most sense to use your best judgment for each book, rather than sticking to one thread all the time or two threads all the time.  Maybe check with the guy who's picking the book to see what they think would be best.

I think splitting a book (or not) mostly comes down to length. If someone picked Kafka's The Trial, there'd be no point in splitting it cuz the thing is practically a novella. But if some filthy cocksucker picked Atlas Shrugged, you'd probably have to split it into at least three different threads. (Those being, "Thread #1: We bitch about how awful this book is" and "Threads #2 & 3: Nobody posts a single fucking thing because everyone already gave up on this artless offensive paperweight".)

EDIT: and remember, going by the precedent set by moi, y'all can still post in the Completed thread and get your point, as long as you do it before the drawing.

Man, I was gonna go post something in the Chandler completed thread because I felt bad about writing nothing about it and I somehow won regardless.  Now why bother?

Fun fact: I chose this book purely because I just picked it up myself and was gonna be reading it anyways.  Let's hope it doesn't blow up in all of our faces!

(I'm about 90 pages in and am digging it so far).

I'm a little afraid of what Jingus would have us read.

It probably wouldn't be anything too gross or crazy. (Unless I was in a Chuck Palanhiuk kinda mood.) Hell, it might be a comic. What's the rules on picking a graphic novel?

For what it's worth, I found it in pdf form online pretty easily.  (Only because my library didn't have it.)

Ditto. I'm sure my university library probably has the damn thing, but they don't let even full-time students check anything out from there if you're not in summer classes. (Goddamn pennypinchers.) This might take a while, it's been a long time since I've read an entire novel on a computer screen.

I actually found that I had it on epub.

However, it seems like the book would be better to be read in actual paperback form. Any suggestions as to which format is preferable, due to the nature of the book?

• 4 weeks later...

Here are the tentative points for today's drawings. Liam and Jingus both got points because they tried and added to the discussion. If you think I've missed one of your posts notify me. I'll hold the drawing a little later today. Remember you can still get points for any of the three books we've read so far. I certainly plan on killing Pale Fire this week.

Matt D - 1
Jae - 1
Shane -1
Beast - 2
username - 1
JRGoldman -2
Rippa - 1
Liam - 2
Cameron Swift - 1
Suicide King of Spades - 3
Brisco - 1
Jack - 1
CSC - 1
EVA - 2
BL88 - 1
Jingus - 3
odessasteps - 1

AUGUST BOOK IS!

519X-8usN%2BL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jp

Up, Up, and Away: The Kid, the Hawk, Rock, Vladi, Pedro, le Grand Orange, Youppi!, the Crazy Business of Baseball, and the Ill-fated but Unforgettable Montreal Expos