DVDVR Message Board

DVDVR BOOK CLUB ANNOUNCEMENTS

jaedmc

Here's where I'll announce the book we'll be reading. 

For those who haven't been keeping up, we're doing a book club that will choose a new book every month. For the first book I took some names randomized them and that was that. For the next book we'll do the same process BUT the names included in the randomizers will only be those who read the previous book.

So if you want to have a shot at forcing a book on us, read this month's book and participate.

MAY'S BOOK! (as chosen by LIAM)

51hhJ8IdqyL.jpg

Julian Barnes' Man Booker Prize Winning Novel: 'The Sense of an Ending'

This intense novel follows Tony Webster, a middle-aged man, as he contends with a past he never thought much about—until his closest childhood friends return with a vengeance: one of them from the grave, another maddeningly present. Tony thought he left this all behind as he built a life for himself, and his career has provided him with a secure retirement and an amicable relationship with his ex-wife and daughter, who now has a family of her own. But when he is presented with a mysterious legacy, he is forced to revise his estimation of his own nature and place in the world. - Amazon

Deadline to finish the book is May 30th. It's like a 163 pages, so I may just only do one thread for this one. What ever I do I'll open the thread/threads May 1st.

It isn't. Took me two to two and a half hours to read, if that.

However, it was a book I thoroughly enjoyed, so was one that sprang to mind.

If needs be, could move past it after a shorter deadline?

I'll see how long it takes people to get around to it. Since completing this novel puts you in the hopper to choose the next one, I want to give everyone fair time to get involved.

I'm personally thankful it's short. 

• Like 1

Sounds awesome. Apparently there's a waiting list at my library for it, but it should be ready relatively quickly since there are a number of copies in the area. Looking forward to it.

I'll see how long it takes people to get around to it. Since completing this novel puts you in the hopper to choose the next one, I want to give everyone fair time to get involved.

I'm personally thankful it's short. 

I wonder if there might be a way to "reward" those who read the book in a timely fashion.

Like the first 5 or something get an extra ball in the hopper or something

That's....that's interesting.

Or if you have a streak of reading books you get an extra entry. Like if Rippa reads three in a row he gets three entries. hmmmm I'll put some thought on this.

• 2 weeks later...

Is the monthly thing rigid? I feel like it should be looser, that once a discussion has exhausted itself, it should be time to move on to the next book, regardless of what month it is.

Or if it is to be monthly, maybe announce the next book in advance of the 1st to allow for slower readers (like myself) to get a headstart.

Basically, what I'm saying is that I'm kind of eager to keep reading other people's choices and want to keep going before my interest wanes.

• Like 1

It's not totally rigid. Right now we're in the experimental phase of the club. Because completion of the book is how people get the opportunity to pick a book, I want to make sure everyone has a chance to read it.

However if conversation dies and no one is still reading or waiting for a copy, then moving on is totally an option. This book is pretty short, so I kind of expected to move ahead before the end of the month. It's possible that the next book we pick will be longer and thus require 4 weeks for everyone to have a chance.

At this point none of the rules are rigid, I'm still trying to shape it so that it remains fun and engaging. For example, I'm thinking everyone who finishes this book gets one entry in the next hopper. All those that finish the next one get two entries. So if you've got a streak of finishing books you are rewarded by having a better chance of getting to choose the next book. Of course, this number resets to zero once you've gotten to choose a book. For example Liam has zero entries in the next one.

We're halfway through the month. How many people out there are planning on reading this, and are waiting on a copy? Or are reading it as we speak?

It's no problem I just want to know if we should actually press on, or if more are going to get involved. I don't want anyone to miss out.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the list of people who finished the book:

Matt D - 1
Jae - 1
Shane -1
Beast - 1
username - 1
JRGoldman -1
Rippa - 1
Liam - 0
Cameron Swift - 1
Suicide King of Spades - 1
Brisco - 1
Jack - 1
CSC - 1
EVA - 1
BL88 - 1

Jingus, let me know if you're actually done with the book. You're the only person left that said they were still reading it. I'd like for us to get ready for June's book in the next day or so.

The point on the right is the point you get for finishing a book. For each consecutive book you read, you get another point. Since this is the first everyone who read it but Liam, the fella who picked the book, gets a point. Liam of course resets to zero.

The Alman version is a fine movie and a terrible adaptation. I love Chandler's writing and the heart that you can find in Marlowe and not in almost any other hard boiled protagonist of the time. I hope you guys enjoy it; it's one of my favorite books and it paints this great, moody picture of Los Angeles of the time that's both vivid and blurred.