DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2014 - The Quest For The Cup

Dolfan in NYC

That Gretzky stuff is overrated to a degree.  Those guys barely ever played with him.  Every star player takes the same abuse these days.  Crosby doesn't get it any worse than anyone else.

attachment.gif

It's taken on mythical proportions with Gretzky being "protected."  He was a slippery bastard and we don't have every second of his career on video to examine.  It was also a different time.  It's not as if Milan Lucic prevents people from constantly fucking with Bruins players.

At least John Tavares is making an impact in the postseason (the only people who are going to get that are Canadians and people from Buffalo).

Grown ass men... PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES... running to taddle to the media because someone said something mean to them. First the Backes deal & now the Lucic deal. So cue the outcry from the usual "everyone should get a trophy for trying" brigade. Why even bother playing the finals? Just reward the two teams who make it because we don't want anyone to get their feelings hurt

I want to meet you one day, load some old hockey clips on youtube & watch you (and your sidekick DFA) cry your eyes out. The players were so mean to each other! It's awful stuff. I think one time someone even told Bobby Orr "I'm going to hurt you!" Animals. Pure animals.

REMINDER: We all sit in front of our TV's watching these guys take runs at each other, hit each other, punch each other, slash each other with weapons shaped like hockey sticks & we cheer them on. But when someone says "I'm going to kill you" in the heat of the battle or even just a few minutes after the battle is over - this is UNACCEPTABLE!

Going out on a limb here that this isn't the first time someone has ever said something mean in a handshake line. Imagine if every single athlete repeated what was said to him during the course of a game. It'd be non-stop outrage... which may actually be what some want.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the everyone saw it deal. I didn't see/hear anyone making a big deal out of it when it happened... only saw twitter blowing up after one of the reporters tweeted out Weise's accusations during the post-game scrum which led to Aaron Ward tweeting out something along the lines of tune into TSN b/c we've slowed the taped down to read Lucic's lips. Quality stuff.

We should totally use current technology to go back and see what the Avs/Wings said to each other back in 1998. I'm sure everyone was respectful & just wished each other good luck.

EDIT: For those who aren't in the mood to just be outraged for the sake of being outraged - search the hashtag #WhatLucicToldWeise on twitter. My favorite is - "My favorite color is potato!"

Trying to wrap my head around the fact that if Montreal wins that means either the Canadiens or Rangers are going to be in the Cup Final.  No offense but come on.

I get what you're saying, but if Montreal can take out the Bruins they can take out the Hawks, Kings, and certainly the Ducks. I could see their speed giving the Kings nightmares. Keith and Doughty may be able to outskate their forwards on the forecheck but not many others would be able to.

The Rangers, I just don't see it. I'm usually wrong, so they'll probably win in 6.

Also, hahahahaha, fucking Lucic.

Trying to wrap my head around the fact that if Montreal wins that means either the Canadiens or Rangers are going to be in the Cup Final.  No offense but come on.

I get what you're saying, but if Montreal can take out the Bruins they can take out the Hawks, Kings, and certainly the Ducks. I could see their speed giving the Kings nightmares. Keith and Doughty may be able to outskate their forwards on the forecheck but not many others would be able to.

The Rangers, I just don't see it. I'm usually wrong, so they'll probably win in 6.

Also, hahahahaha, fucking Lucic.

Have to agree with this. After all if we hold to the "you need at least two star players" philosophy that applies to Toews/Kane or Malkin/Crosby, Montreal do at least have Subban/Price. Given that one of those is probably the hottest goalie alive, you could pick worse pairs at the moment. You're not going to favor them over any of the west teams if it comes to that, but just like I said with the Bruins, no one is so far ahead that anything should be conceded in this league. Being the big underdog at this stage of things still means they'd have probably a 1 in 3 shot of winning.

"I cant believe i shook that guys friggin hand."

At least now we know Weise didn't run to the media like a little baby because someone said something mean to him. It was Dreger who heard it from a 2nd party & decided to run to twitter himself. Not all that surprising.

Too bad no Marek today, will be interesting to hear his thoughts tomorrow. He's the one who always tells the story about the player that confided in him he used to get teased during games by the opposition for being sexually assaulted as a child. Stuff like that is why it's hard to believe any player could actually get seriously offended for being physically threatened.

Does Justin Williams walk around the dressing room, foaming at the mouth, begging his teammates to get him to a Game 7?

One behind Glenn Anderson for the all-time lead.  Tied with such scrubs as Wayne Gretzky, Wendel Clark, Trevor Linden and Jeremy Roenick with 6.