DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2014 - The Quest For The Cup

Dolfan in NYC

We'll see. LA is like mini-Boston in that they aren't truly dead until their head and limbs have been severed and sent to different states. What's a 3-2 series deficit to them? They don't give a shit about that child's play.

It's amazing how many people make a Penguins vs. Blackhawks comparison re: Toews/Kane vs. (anybody) and just overlook that Chicago has Keith and Seabrook right there. Having two top defensemen in the long run is such a huge edge. It's the core of four that makes Chicago what they are, not just a core of two.

I mean sure when you pass on getting Ales Hemsky for free because you wanted LEE STEMPNIAK more you have other issues in your organization, but still.

Toews has a career high of 79 points and people are asking if he's better than Crosby. Crosby has 114 points in 95 playoff games, Captain Clutch 74 in 87 including a whopping 14 points in 23 playoff games last year. It's almost like Toews plays on a way better team. Almost. It's not Crosby's fault Ray Shero is the sharts. Jonathan Toews may be the most overrated player in the game.

In better news, the Eller line is so much fun to watch. Montreal in general is a blast.

Two top 5 players on a team and get bounced by teams with inferior talent year after year... it's difficult to continue praising Malkin/Crosby at this point. What is there to praise? Regular season stats don't fucking cut it and this is coming from someone who supports Pittsburgh and would like to see them do well. It'd be different if they lit it up and the rest of the team imploded behind them but that's not what's happening. They have to do more.

Two top 5 players on a team and get bounced by teams with inferior talent year after year... it's difficult to continue praising Malkin/Crosby at this point. What is there to praise? Regular season stats don't fucking cut it and this is coming from someone who supports Pittsburgh and would like to see them do well. It'd be different if they lit it up and the rest of the team imploded behind them but that's not what's happening. They have to do more.

Toews has a career high of 79 points and people are asking if he's better than Crosby. Crosby has 114 points in 95 playoff games, Captain Clutch 74 in 87 including a whopping 14 points in 23 playoff games last year. It's almost like Toews plays on a way better team. Almost. It's not Crosby's fault Ray Shero is the sharts. Jonathan Toews may be the most overrated player in the game.

Maybe expecting a team as flawed as the Penguins (look at that third line doe! And that backend! and that MAF!) to win the cup every year because they have the two best players in the league is not the right mindset. Maybe.

In better news, the Eller line is so much fun to watch. Montreal in general is a blast.

The problem with this Toews/Crosby debate is that it's missing the element that Crosby *is* a significantly better player than Toews, has the numbers to back it up and yet can't seem to elevate or even match his regular season production in the playoffs.  Toss in the fact that Toews plays in the better, tougher conference to get points and Crosby deserves some flack for his lack of production.

The benchmark for Crosby in the playoffs shouldn't be matching what Toews does...

And he clearly does much more than matching Toews. Who else scores like he does in the playoffs? Not even Malkin does and he's considered the better playoff performer of the two. It's not the NBA, you can't win the cup with a few good players.

Like I said, if they were destroying the competition and the rest of the team was doing nothing it'd be a different conversation but with their backs against the wall in game 7...  you kind of expect them to takeover and kick it into high gear.. do something, anything... 

They haven't.

9 points in 13 playoff games is Sidney Crosby at his low point. Oh the suffering! And I'm with DFA, he looked off. I can't imagine Dubinsky slashing him three times a shift had anything to do with that.

This is going to OT, isn't it?

Edited by Swayze Express

Nobody else seems afforded all these excuses, though.  Crosby hasn't had a great series against a strong team since the Cup year. 

Giving him some flack isn't saying he's the problem, either but when you're the best player in the world by a significant margin, you can't just be "okay."

I suppose that's fair. Not many put numbers up against the Broonz except for PK Subban. Crosby had some dominant series against the Flyers and he was fantastic against the Islanders, but it was the Islanders.

I picked LA to win the Cup and in my mind I did see them having to go through Chicago to get there. That's just such a gnarly team that even when you beat them they take so much out of you, I could buy them beating (insert any team here) with the right breaks.

9 points in 13 playoff games is Sidney Crosby at his low point. Oh the suffering! And I'm with DFA, he looked off. I can't imagine Dubinsky slashing him three times a shift had anything to do with that. it?

Or Staal punching him in the back of the head repeatedly.

Not making excuses for Sid because he does tend to whine and sulk but the Pens don't protect him at all. Gretzky had McSorely and Semenko, Mario had Ulfie and Tocchet... Sid has who? Tanner Glass?

That's why all this talk of firing Bylsma has me iffy. He has to go no doubt but Shero assembled this team full of soft babies. He has just as much blood on his hands.