DVDVR Message Board

Barbashev should've gone middle of the first round. A lot of Canucks fans were furious they went with Jared "it is what it is" McCann over Barbashev, saying Ivan does everything McCann does but better.That will be one of those interesting things to watch play out over the next 5-10 years. Barbeshev looks to have unreal skill and has all the intangibles people worry about with Russians.

Barbashev should've gone middle of the first round. A lot of Canucks fans were furious they went with Jared "it is what it is" McCann over Barbashev, saying Ivan does everything McCann does but better.That will be one of those interesting things to watch play out over the next 5-10 years. Barbeshev looks to have unreal skill and has all the intangibles people worry about with Russians.

There are a bunch of interesting things to follow in this draft for me: Barbshev seemed to fall due to questions regarding his offensive ability/skating, but I don't buy that. I think the bigger issue was Russian Factor. But. I think with Tarasenko and Jaskin (a teammate of his in junior) here, him bolting won't be an issue.

The other thing I'm looking forward too is the Schmaltz/Fabbri comparison that is bound to happen. Blackhawks trade up to take Schmaltz, brother of the Blues best defensive prospect and former 1st round pick. Blues answer with drafting a different center in Fabbri, who fits a mold the Blues love: if you have the determination, it doesn't matter if you are slightly undersized. Jaden Schwartz is a clear example of that, and hopefully Fabbri is another in that line. You know those 2 are gonna be compared for a long while.

Was Fabbri the guy that people were comparing to Parise?

Initially, I hated the Perron trade for St. Louis but picking up Barbashev makes it a lot more palatable for you lot.

Was Fabbri the guy that people were comparing to Parise?

Initially, I hated the Perron trade for St. Louis but picking up Barbashev makes it a lot more palatable for you lot.

I've heard some Parise, some Giroux, and a good deal of Mike Richards. High level of offensive talent, a good defensive player, and has an elite drive, which might be the most important thing.

We are literally turning into the Flames. Here I was thinking it was just the inability to let go and accept rebuilding. Every Canuck fan would have loved to see Iginla with the Sedins three years ago. Now? Not so much. And the Kesler trade is only slightly better than the Bouwmeester and Iginla trades. Why not just go purely for futures? I'm terrified of what I'll see come Tuesday morning. I have nightmares of Bellend, Miller, and the like. Vrbata, Grabovski, and Ehrhoff are the only guys I'd like to see signed.

Yeah but he has character and grit and the divine blood of the dragon of Canadian hockey and stuff.

I mean honestly I like him fine, but he's a third line center that had one or two good playoffs in Chicago and has been blown way out of proportion. There are a lot of teams he could even improve if the price is right, but this just smells like somthin' silly is about to happen.

We are literally turning into the Flames. Here I was thinking it was just the inability to let go and accept rebuilding. Every Canuck fan would have loved to see Iginla with the Sedins three years ago. Now? Not so much. And the Kesler trade is only slightly better than the Bouwmeester and Iginla trades. Why not just go purely for futures? I'm terrified of what I'll see come Tuesday morning. I have nightmares of Bellend, Miller, and the like. Vrbata, Grabovski, and Ehrhoff are the only guys I'd like to see signed.

You can't really strip the whole thing down when you've got the Sedins, Hamhuis, Bieksa, and company locked in. I think the Sedins have at least earned the right for a chance at redemption with a new coach.

You can't really strip the whole thing down when you've got the Sedins, Hamhuis, Bieksa, and company locked in. I think the Sedins have at least earned the right for a chance at redemption with a new coach.

Isn't that what they just got?

• Like 1

The division re-alignment made things scary on the west coast. I know San Jose is a playoff punchline but I don't see them falling right off the map any time soon, or at least not unless they really do trade Thornton and Marleau. LA is LA. Anaheim is sort of eternally one big piece away from winning the Stanley Cup, but have plenty you can say about them that's positive. It could be a grim fucking few years for all the western Canadian teams as far as playoffs goes.

It's really gross to think that Edmonton just missed the playoffs for seven years and I can't even say with confidence that we will make it for 2 or 3 more. I mean, I'm a realist here. We aren't making it this year for any reason short of a Scrivens miracle.

The division re-alignment made things scary on the west coast. I know San Jose is a playoff punchline but I don't see them falling right off the map any time soon, or at least not unless they really do trade Thornton and Marleau. LA is LA. Anaheim is sort of eternally one big piece away from winning the Stanley Cup, but have plenty you can say about them that's positive. It could be a grim fucking few years for all the western Canadian teams as far as playoffs goes.

So me can be said for all teams in the West. Chicago is Chicago, the Blues aren't going anywhere and have given Chicago and LA good fights, Colorado might be losing some talent, but there young forward core is still great. That leaves a solid Dallas team, Weber and Jones in Nashville, and the Wild. Jets are in just as much of a rough spot.

I don't know what to make of Colorado. Two years ago they were dead last, then this year they get lights out goaltending and suddenly Patrick Roy is Isaac Newton or something.

I'm really not convinced it's not a partial mirage with them. But I seem to be in the minority there, time will tell.

I don't know what to make of Colorado. Two years ago they were dead last, then this year they get lights out goaltending and suddenly Patrick Roy is Isaac Newton or something.

I'm really not convinced it's not a partial mirage with them. But I seem to be in the minority there, time will tell.

Oh I'm with you: they are not at the Hawks or Blues. I just wouldn't be surprised if they become a playoff staple either.

Gagner is not very good and Purcell can put up points with good players, so he should be fine. If Maloney thinks the Coyotes can replace Ribeiro with Sam Gagner, that could be uglier than usual for Arizona.