DVDVR Message Board

Raw 3-31-14 - WM Go-Home Show

MGFanJay

D-Bry 1 Reigns 0

Plus I wouldn't be surprised if Vince would be hesitant to put Roman in the movies since we all know what happened to the last big Samoan star that went into movies. He came back years later and totally sucked.

Yeah but he was good at one point. Reigns is good now and getting better.

There we go, all fixed.

This is one of the most popular wrestling message boards, and out of the hundreds of posters here, there are THREE females. THREE. THERE'S your "casual female audience." Clearly these are numbers WWE needs to reach.

And you are sure of this how?

The three women mentioned are nerds/have nerd tendencies.  That we post regularly to this board is proof. We'll follow wrestling on some level, no matter what.  The WWE isn't trying to get us over--we're already over.

If Reigns was some scrub, obviously his good looks wouldn't be enough to carry him.  That's not what OSJ and I are suggesting.  What we're saying is his good looks are the key to moving from only wrestling to general public consciousness.  I think Daniel Bryan is great.  But from a physical POV, he looks like a regular guy  Reigns doesn't.

As far as the roster being full of good looking people--agreed, not many ugly ones in that bunch.  Which makes me think--Randy Orton should have become more of a mainstream figure.  But it goes back to needing the whole package, and Orton lacks in a couple of areas.

Roman Reigns is NOT the next Rock. This is so silly.

You're right. Until we get a selfie from BLR, I'm hesitant to include her. So 2. Two female posters.

No, I said how hot a wrestler is deemed by a fema-, I mean, girl (or guy) to be used as a barometer of how successful they will be down the road is absurd. But I used to feel myself up to Zack Ryder, so what do I know?

I will leave the snark aside in the interest of fair play and rational discourse. Certainly how "hot" a wrestler is deemed by the female audience is not the ONLY barometer of how successful they will be, but as Burgundy and my wife both pointed out, it's an important component to mainstream appeal.
No it's not. Almost the entire roster is relatively attractive one way or another. And the one who lacks such a look is currently the most over guy on the show.

Look I like Daniel Bryan as much as the next guy, but are you really going to suggest that he has appeal outside the WWE fanbase? Perhaps you'd like to list the movies he's starred in?
Outside of Rocky, NO wrestler has had anything resembling a "successful" acting career. The "mainstream" notion is antequated, the only thing that matters at this point is the fanbase.

As far as the roster being full of good looking people--agreed, not many ugly ones in that bunch.  Which makes me think--Randy Orton should have become more of a mainstream figure. 

Oh man. That reminds me, back around 04, I had a girlfriend who loved Randy Orton because of his "slim waist." Hilarious.

You're right. Until we get a selfie from BLR, I'm hesitant to include her. So 2. Two female posters.

No, I said how hot a wrestler is deemed by a fema-, I mean, girl (or guy) to be used as a barometer of how successful they will be down the road is absurd. But I used to feel myself up to Zack Ryder, so what do I know?

I will leave the snark aside in the interest of fair play and rational discourse. Certainly how "hot" a wrestler is deemed by the female audience is not the ONLY barometer of how successful they will be, but as Burgundy and my wife both pointed out, it's an important component to mainstream appeal.
No it's not. Almost the entire roster is relatively attractive one way or another. And the one who lacks such a look is currently the most over guy on the show.
Look I like Daniel Bryan as much as the next guy, but are you really going to suggest that he has appeal outside the WWE fanbase? Perhaps you'd like to list the movies he's starred in?
Outside of Rocky, NO wrestler has had anything resembling a "successful" acting career. The "mainstream" notion is antequated, the only thing that matters at this point is the fanbase.

Have you missed all of Cena's appearances on various tv shows? I'm not about to compare Cena's minimal acting career to Rocky's but the fact remains that because a thing is done once it can be done again. And if all that counts is the fanbase, I assume you've taken note of all the signs for Reigns?

Oh, yeah.  For a minute there, Orton was on the track to climbing over the OAW (Only An Wrestler) threshold.  Women loved him. But not to be.

Orton lacks a couple of the essentials to really break out.

Oh, yeah.  For a minute there, Orton was on the track to climbing over the OAW (Only An Wrestler) threshold.  Women loved him. But not to be.

Orton lacks a couple of the essentials to really break out.

#1 being a sense of decorum, IMO.

HAHAHA There is that...

Obviously drawing the female audience via your looks isn't going to be the end all be all but it certainly does help with being a draw. Cena and HBK are two prime examples of the womenz in the crowd getting behind a guy because of his charisma and looks.

Have you missed all of Cena's appearances on various tv shows? I'm not about to compare Cena's minimal acting career to Rocky's but the fact remains that because a thing is done once it can be done again. And if all that counts is the fanbase, I assume you've taken note of all the signs for Reigns?

Ken fucking Shamrock did TV appearances. Means nothing. I'm not saying Reigns won't be a huge star for WWE, he could very well headline several WMs down the road. My points are 1) The female component of the WWE audience is so minimal that the whole "my-wife-likes-this-or-that" holds zero relevance as an indicator of predictive powers, and 2) that Reigns does not ooze the natural charisma of the Rock.

John Cena isn't a mainstream star?

WWE Films.

Any guy that's the face of the company for the better part of a decade is going to be "mainstream" in whatever form you want to use the word "mainstream." But being "mainstream" doesn't necessarily translate into more revenue for WWE. They've had a near monopoly on north american wrestling for 13 years and financially their performance has been less than spectacular. "Mainstream" doesn't mean shit if it doesn't make them money.

Isn't WWE's TV audience something like 35% female?

I have no idea what the Nielson breakdown is, but any free TV show is bound to have SOME female viewers. My point is that girls aren't watching/taking interest in it unless their sigothers are. And again, I point to the 1%ish of total posters here that contain XX chromosomes as evidence of that position.