DVDVR Message Board

I gave 10 years of my life to that Satan's Spawn of a company.  I don't even care about Unions.  I was on the inside, in management.  I know how, where, when, in what ways they fuck over their employees, plan their expansions, and how little they care about anything but their bottom line.

They did their "Katrina" charity for the tax break.  Period.  Know why, I was employed by them during that time.

Fuck them.

• Like 2

One good act doesn't excuse the decades of shitty, and destructuve things they've done to their employees.

EDIT: Nevermind, quote the news source that fits your own views.  Makes you right, absolutley.

Like you're stuff in Wrestling and games Big,  your politics are shit though.

Like I said, I spend 10 years getting fucked and doing the fucking by and for them.  Nothing about them is gonna change my opinion.  Gonna have to agree to disagree,

*Shrugs*

Wish I could help you, but if you're unwilling to accept help and just call everything "shit", there's nothing I can do for you.

EDIT: Katrina is not their only "one good act". They do that stuff all the time. I'm really sorry you didn't enjoy your time there, but that doesn't effect all the great things they do. They feed people who need it. They pay people who need it. That's the bottom line.

Their "Good Works" department is for PR and Tax Purposes, not out of any sense of generosity or doing the right thing.  

They regularly cut employees hours to meet an arbitrary number.  They rig the system to keep raises low as possible.  They run stores at bare minimum to raise their individual stores bottom line.  They anually change Benefits, in some cases costing employees half their paychecks to cover their families.  They terminate employees for being sick, they work employees without breaks, and countless other things.  

That's the bottom line.

I wasn't aware any disgruntled Wal-Mart employee was being forced to work there against their will. I was under the impression they could look for alternate work if they desired (like I am doing right now).

There's no such thing as "exploitive" if you voluntarily take a job and voluntarily keep a job.

And if you actually watched the video I posted for you (which I know you didn't, so you called it a "news source" and it's not), then you'd see that a lot of your claims are demonstrably false.

Ultimately what you want is to pay more money to less people. They could raise their pay for all employees, and they'd have to let a lot of them go. These things have a cost, man.

And I bet you condemn the WalMart workers who need government assistance, as well. 

Jesus fuck, I hate leftists.

I know. How the fuck dare people disagree with your political views. They're worse than Hitler.

I wasn't aware any disgruntled Wal-Mart employee was being forced to work there against their will. I was under the impression they could look for alternate work if they desired (like I am doing right now).

There's no such thing as "exploitive" if you voluntarily take a job and voluntarily keep a job.

I've said this to others, and I'll say it to you--no one is looking to starve and be homeless if they can help it.  A crummy job is better than no job at all, especially with the weak job growth currently surrounding us.

Walmart is like any other big company--it has pros and cons.  Ultimately, they're only doing what they've been allowed to do within the law.  I'm not angry with Walmart as much as I'm disappointed in the system that gives them too much room to play loose with the rules.  And they're not the only ones.

Frankly, both sides are so full of shit at this point, why anyone would argue for either is beyond me.  I suppose one side is somewhat better than the other, but I'm damning them with faint praise.

Look out for you and yours, because no else will.  Do what you must (within the law) and improve when you can. That's the name of the game.

• Like 1

I've said this to others, and I'll say it to you--no one is looking to starve and be homeless if they can help it.  A crummy job is better than no job at all, especially with the weak job growth currently surrounding us.

I agree with this 110%

So I really don't know why we're demonizing the group that's helping 1.3 million Americans "not starve and be homeless". That's anti-poverty policy that works.

I'm not exactly looking to take a side here, but Walmart effectively putting their own suppliers out of business was surprising to me.

The one book I've read about it used the analogy of a three-year-old jumping on your back, which is cute, versus a twenty-three-year-old jumping on your back, which can kill you.  Walmart's philosophy of cutting costs was great when they were starting out, but now that they have so much weight to throw around (whether they're intentionally trying to or not), it's kind of dangerous.

Walmart is like any other big company--it has pros and cons.

I agree with this. It's interesting that Walmart is such a polarizing issue to people, but I don't think it's so black and white. Personally, I wouldn't want to work at Walmart, and I have no interest in shopping there more than once in a blue moon. But  if I couldn't find work anywhere else, or if I was really hard up for money, I think I'd be glad to have it around. I'm sure having a Walmart around disadvantages some by lowering wages, but it also helps a lot of people. If it didn't why would anyone work/shop there?

At the same time, I appreciate that the people who run Walmart are mostly self-interested; I don't think they're benevolent angels trying to improve the world for anyone but themselves. And to get back to the original post that started this all, that video is pretty galling -- I too can't stand greedy corporations that pull that sort of "love us, we're such wonderful people" stuff. Why can't advertising just be honest (e.g.: "Walmart. Shop here 'cause we're cheap as fuck.")? Who do they think they're fooling?

• Like 1

I don't have anything against the company. I worked for them for a while at Sam's Club. It's a company you can go work for out of high school and if you have any brains inside your head at all you can make a career there and move up rather quickly if you choose to go that route. They have a lot of really good benefits. They also provide a lot of people with jobs.

• Like 2