DVDVR Message Board

The Batman: Arkham series.

The Cyrus Pinkney side quest doesn't show up on the map.  The plaques you can find show up as Gotham Intel.  It's a fun little easter egg thing though. It plays out a lot like the Amadeus Arkham/Quincy sharp spider tablets in Asylum.

Finally picked this up.  Gotham looks beautiful, and its handy that it's the same map as Arkham City, just not run down and desolate.  The improvements in Detective Mode, with the crime scene scanning, fast travel, and Batcave stuff is awesome.

Multiplayer is interesting.  Doesn't suck, but something's just, off.

Combat is *way* slower in this, and but the counter timing is way more forgiving in this than the previous two (I can get off a Ground Takedown before a counter, or get off an attack before I get hit instead of just countering).  Its taking some getting used to, but once you pick up the windows, its alright.  Already got the 20 hits in Freeflow focus goal.

I don't like this upgrade system. Having the critical strikes upgrade behind the armors, or some other upgrades now requiring stuff I don't quite care about early (Like, I'd love the multi-batarangs now, but gotta upgrade the single first).  But I'll deal.  Only thing that exists that I'm annoyed about is the Grapnel Boost in and available from the start.  AC is years later and the Grapnel Boost was "not ready for deployment", but now its in off the bat.  Yeah, it makes travel easier, but its a little thing.

I wanna know who's idea it was to flip the shoulder button functions from the previous two games.  Its killing me that I'm used to AA and AC's controls that I go to enter Detective Mode and end up tossing a Batarang.  Annoyed I can't remap it either.

Otherwise, not bad thus far.

• Like 1

I wanna know who's idea it was to flip the shoulder button functions from the previous two games.  Its killing me that I'm used to AA and AC's controls that I go to enter Detective Mode and end up tossing a Batarang.  Annoyed I can't remap it either.

I heard about this. Dumb move.

Finished the last of the AR missions last night, and they are 1000% less frustrating. The courses all made sense, and there was nothing as ridiculous as "dive bomb straight down, then pull up and glide 5 feet off the ground through this tunnel for 50 meters." They also smartly took out that annoying voice telling you that you failed.

• Like 1

I don't know why this game scored as low as it did.  Yes, I've hit a couple slowdowns (but its been outside of combat) and I'm not a fan of the new upgrade system or the shoulder button remaping.  But after a bit, I'm used to the combat speed, and hitting the same problems I had with the other Arkham games where I'm just inputing commands too fast.  And the Crime Scene reconstruction is amazing.  Yes there's a TON going on, but its all awesome.

And had the two best boss fights back to back in a game:

The first "fight" against Electrocutioner was such an awesome Batman moment.  Electrocutioner does all this posing, posturing, and shittalking, and you beat him with one punch.  Awesome.

The Deathstroke fight was everything I wanted in that fight and more.  I'm going to love it on New Game+.

I'm going to take about 4-5 NewGame+ playthroughs before I even attempt "I Am The Night" mode.

• Like 1

The Deathstroke fight is awesome because it's really all about carefully picking your shots and not spamming your attacks.  It feels like a remarkably authentic fight (in terms of Batman continuity) in how a fight between the two would go.  

Ok, this is gonna seem a silly question.

Is there anything that helps find Datapacks, (like AA had the maps that you found, AC had informants to interrogate)?  I say this because I haven't come across anything yet, even though I'm trying to grab any packs I come across, but I'll have to go through stuff again and I'd like to know if there's a in game assist, or am I stuck relying on the internets.

Course, I noticed that I may be too fast on combos at times and guys seem to surrender for interrogation, but I already input a strike that finished the round off.

Ok, this is gonna seem a silly question.

Is there anything that helps find Datapacks, (like AA had the maps that you found, AC had informants to interrogate)?  I say this because I haven't come across anything yet, even though I'm trying to grab any packs I come across, but I'll have to go through stuff again and I'd like to know if there's a in game assist, or am I stuck relying on the internets.

Course, I noticed that I may be too fast on combos at times and guys seem to surrender for interrogation, but I already input a strike that finished the round off.

Yeah you eventually get informants again, i forget how long before they show up, maybe after you finish off the radio towers?

I've noticed the datapacks are a hell of a lot easier than the Riddler trophies in previous games, nothing I've come across so far has really had me scratching my head. Still got a lot to collect though.

As I recall, going to Enigma's hideout and attempting to hack it will show you the informant locations.  Take care of them and it will unveil the data pack locations in specific areas.

One stupid thing though, all the informants respawn in New Game+ even after you've already defeated them all and found everything (relays, informants, and data packs).  This was not the case in New Game+ on City.  

Just another example of how the game did not get the extra polish and smoothing out it needed, which is a shame.

Finished the game over the weekend. I really liked the story, but did it seem really short to anyone else? A lot shorter than AC, anyway.

The final encounter with Bane drove me nuts. The first time he reached into a grate and pulled me out scared the shit out of me.

I've spent the last few days going back and collecting the data packs, which has been frustrating. None of them are as challenging as some of the Riddler trophy stuff from the last game, but FUCK the layout of some of the buildings - they make going back and collectible hunting a major pain in the ass. I made myself nauseous navigating the GCPD building the second time around.

• Like 1

The really frustrating data packs for me were the ones on some like unattainable ledge on a high building you had to dive bomb and glide to get up to.

I'm nearly done with New Game+, but I'm really trying hard to get rank 15 on Worst Nightmare (predator challenges).  It's hard because in order to get some of these you need to be able to access predator rooms in story mode.  And man, the boss fights on New Game+ were nasty.  Though, nowhere near as awful as Mr. Freeze on New Game+ for City.

One thing I'm not really liking is that the Dark Knight Challenges are progressive and not just a list.  Annoying as I would've completed a bunch, but didn't because I have to do something else first (currently stuck on the 20 Critical Strikes in one combo in one list, for example.)

The story is amazing though.  

• Like 1

That kinda annoyed me, too. The worst is that the last challenge in the Gotham Protector track (stop a crime in progress in every district) is impossible because there are no random cip's on the bridge. God bless the Internet for showing me how to game the system on that one.

• Like 1

Does your progress on the Dark Knight challenges carry over into New Game+? I finished two of them, and I'm down to the last challenge on the combat track, but I've got over half of the predator challenges to go.

Yes.  I ended my regular game at about rank 5 on Worst Nightmare.  It all carries over to New Game+.  Unfortunately, some of the predator challenges can only be completed via playing the game's story campaign.  So after you beat the main game and you haven't completed the predator track, there's nothing else you can do to complete certain ranks other than starting a brand new game.  

One thing I'm not really liking is that the Dark Knight Challenges are progressive and not just a list.  Annoying as I would've completed a bunch, but didn't because I have to do something else first (currently stuck on the 20 Critical Strikes in one combo in one list, for example.)

Yes I truly hate this.  In City, you could pretty much accomplish the physical challenges whenever you wanted, it didn't matter the order.  This makes it a lot harder, because again some of the challenges require you to play through the story.  And after you get past a certain part you might never have the opportunity to complete them again unless you doubled up on certain ranks in the predator rooms or play a brand new game.

Thanks. That's reassuring.

That's another little thing that peeves me about an otherwise good game. In AC, the predator rooms respawned enemies after the story concluded, so you could go back and do some of the predator physical challenges.

I think the only things that don't carry over to  New Game+ are story based-gadgets.  But once you re-attain them, they will have all the upgrades you already purchased for them.  This is another thing different from City as I recall you had all your extra gadgets and upgrades you already had on New Game+.

Yes I truly hate this.  In City, you could pretty much accomplish the physical challenges whenever you wanted, it didn't matter the order.  This makes it a lot harder, because again some of the challenges require you to play through the story.  And after you get past a certain part you might never have the opportunity to complete them again unless you doubled up on certain ranks in the predator rooms or play a brand new game.

I haven't played Batman: Arkham Origins and I'm with you both on this. Poor decision. This and the bugs/glitches/corrupt saves are the most complaints I've read about the game.