DVDVR Message Board

The Batman: Arkham series.

Heads up that youtube has already leaked a couple of boss fights (some people already got their hands on the game, broke street release date or something). So spoiler alert in case you want to check out some footage.

I must say though that I'm not really that impressed with the few that I saw.

Walkthroughs are already leaking on YouTube, so beware of spoilers folks, if that's a big deal for you.

FYI, you can get some free skins (DC 1 Million Bats and Red Son Bats) for the game if you log-in or register for a WBID account on the mobile version.

Walkthroughs are already leaking on YouTube, so beware of spoilers folks, if that's a big deal for you. FYI, you can get some free skins (DC 1 Million Bats and Red Son Bats) for the game if you log-in or register for a WBID account on the mobile version.

I already checked a few out, I honestly don't even play these games for the story so I don't mind the spoilers.To me one of the biggest selling point is (minor spoilers just to be sure):

Revisiting Arkham City. You actually begin in the Bowery, before it's all deteriorated: so far I have spotted the GCPD (the one from AC), the museum, court house and Wonder Tower. I assume the church will be there was well.

• Like 1

Double post, but I got my hands on this game. Quick couple of things I have noticed:Controls are for the most part the same, except they switched Detective Mode and Quick Batarangs around. Kind of annoying, but you get used to it.Combat is also the same. I was racking up combo's just like before. Seasoned players will plow through the game.The new detective mode is pretty cool. Glad they expanded on the concept.The city is pretty damn big, but it feels empty with for the most part only thugs out on the street. Don't expect a GTA level of open world.Attention to detail isn't as big as in Arkham City, where pretty much every nook and cranny had a reference to the Batman lore.

Walkthroughs are already leaking on YouTube, so beware of spoilers folks, if that's a big deal for you. FYI, you can get some free skins (DC 1 Million Bats and Red Son Bats) for the game if you log-in or register for a WBID account on the mobile version.

I already checked a few out, I honestly don't even play these games for the story so I don't mind the spoilers.To me one of the biggest selling point is (minor spoilers just to be sure):

Revisiting Arkham City. You actually begin in the Bowery, before it's all deteriorated: so far I have spotted the GCPD (the one from AC), the museum, court house and Wonder Tower. I assume the church will be there was well.

Definitely saw the church at one point.  I really like that we get to see Arkham City before it becomes a giant prison ghetto.  

I like that and meeting either series regulars or new people for the first time.

Batman: Arkham Origins gets a 7.8 from IGN and a 6 from GameSpot. I was sure it wouldn't be reviewed as well as Arkham Asylum and Arkham City but I'm surprised at those scores. GameCentral haven't had a review copy.

In all honesty this game does feel like one big cheap cash-in from WB. Don't get me wrong, it does have it's highlights and isn't all that bad, but doesn't capture the essence of the previous two games.I'd say a 7 is about right. Not bad, not great either.

Batman: Arkham Origins gets a 7.8 from IGN and a 6 from GameSpot. I was sure it wouldn't be reviewed as well as Arkham Asylum and Arkham City but I'm surprised at those scores. GameCentral haven't had a review copy.

In all honesty this game does feel like one big cheap cash-in from WB. Don't get me wrong, it does have it's highlights and isn't all that bad, but doesn't capture the essence of the previous two games.I'd say a 7 is about right. Not bad, not great either.

I thought it might feel like that. Thanks for your thoughts on the game.

OK some first impressions.  I like the game.  Story-wise it's really cool and well done.  

I love the Bat-cave and mixing the challenge maps into your actual gameplay.  I also like the rewards system for pulling off certain in-game challenges, like you can get extra XP if you pull off the right objective.  These are nice little tweaks and differences from the Rocksteady game.  

I love seeing old Gotham and same locations from Arkham City kind of at their height.  

In terms of gameplay, and I kind of got this impression a tad from the demo at E3, it's still a little rough.  The combat is not quite as smooth as the Rocksteady games.  The game is a little slower and buggier than Arkham City.  The previous Arkham games had a layer of polish that this one is kinda lacking.  Now granted, some of these issues could be patched in the coming months.  At the same time, sometimes I think games need a delay or two if it means just getting all that solid extra polish to really put the game over the top.  Star Trek I don't think would've been as big of the disaster it was if it didn't have all the bugs and flaws in the final product.

Not sure if these count as easter eggs, but early in the game I love all the stuff about Calendar Man and Red Hood.  You can check out Batman's bulletin board and you can see him investigating Calendar Man and the whereabouts of the Red Hood.  He's ruled the Calendar Man issue "case closed" since Calendar Man was about to get executed at the beginning before he's sprung.

If you want to have a little fun time waster tune into Anarky's radio station as he goes on an anti-capitalist monologue for about 20 minutes.  Felt that long at least.

• Like 1

Agreed. Seems like some of the controls aren't as responsive unlike the previous games.Anyone else got to the Deadshot part yet?

Fucking annoying. Reminds me of that Two Face mission with Catwoman in AC. It's basically a Predator mission, except with infinite guards until you defeat Deadshot. However, deadshot can't be taken down with a stealth move. After my fourth try, I left the location, fuck that noise.

• Like 1

Mine arrived this afternoon. So much for Amazon Primes release day shipping but never mind, i was working yesterday anyway. Went crazy and got the collectors edition again like i did with the previous 2 Arkham games. The statues huge this time around, its Batman fighting The Joker. Entirely unnecessary and completely awesome. Looking forward to giving this a good playing through now i have a few days off.

I cleared the Deathstroke fight tonight and didn't find it nearly as frustrating as a lot of people seem to have. I figured out the trick about halfway through my first time fighting him, then beat him the second time around. I liked it. The back and forth combat had a different feel than most boss fights in the series.

I also cleared all the Anarky side stuff, which was basically the "race across the city to beat the timer" Zsasz missions with a new coat of paint. After you beat him, he monologues for, like, 5 minutes straight. I should've gotten a trophy for standing there and listening to all that.

• Like 1

I cleared the Deathstroke fight tonight and didn't find it nearly as frustrating as a lot of people seem to have. I figured out the trick about halfway through my first time fighting him, then beat him the second time around. I liked it. The back and forth combat had a different feel than most boss fights in the series.I also cleared all the Anarky side stuff, which was basically the "race across the city to beat the timer" Zsasz missions with a new coat of paint. After you beat him, he monologues for, like, 5 minutes straight. I should've gotten a trophy for standing there and listening to all that.

Yes, I found the key to Deathstroke was just simply not to mash the counter button.  Just have to time it right.  But I definitely loved the feel of that fight.  All the boss fights are really fun and feel very different. 

Anarky's 20 minute monologues are hilarious.  Though I wish there was an option to like duct tape his mouth shut like Harley Quinn in City, or just knock him out.

I think I'm about 3/4's of the way through now.  The hotel stage was pretty awesome and insane.  In terms of story, the game is awesome and probably the best of the franchise.  Characters and emotions have a lot more depth here.  I like what they did with Bane this time.  I think the patch fixed some of the more prevalent bugs.  

What's really daunting now though is collecting the extra Enigma data packs that are in those really remote places like the ones I couldn't get in the hotel or Joker's amusement park.  Also the exotic takedown predator challenge.  One thing weird the game gave me is giving me the reward for beating a predator challenge by not using detective mode when I just took out one crook on a lone roof.

Now I just wish Batman and Joker would just screw already and get it over with.