DVDVR Message Board

The Batman: Arkham series.

The watchtowers aren't too bad, I just climb to the top of a building and look for red lights. I did the same with the burning buildings. It's the land mines I have trouble with, just have to wander around until to stumble on one. Luckily there aren't too many of them.

I really like this game, but there are some things that I wish were different.

Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to take away all the boss fights?  I've arrested most of the big villains, and they all felt anti-climactic.  They needed to do something that made taking out the big bads feel like something special, but they all just kind of get taken out just like any of the random lower level enemies. 

The batmobile sections are hit and miss.  I actually like the fights where you defuse the bombs, but Firefly, takedowns, and fucking Riddler races pissed me the fuck off.  The biggest problem with the batmobile sections is that the shooting and driving mechanics are counterintuitive.  Driving is fine, until you have to brake and you pull the left trigger instead of pressing X and all the controls change completely.  Every driving game that has come out in the last decade or so brakes with the left trigger, and while it wasn't a constant problem, it came up too much to ignore. 

The radar needs to acknowledge more than just your current objective.  If you are close to a mission, there should at least be a tick mark showing you are close to another mission.  I swear the serial killer, Azreal, and the bomb sections would have been better served if you didn't have to be in the exact right spot to find them.

As much as I dislike the core concept of season passes and DLC in general, the fact that if you pay an additional $30-40 for the season pass and you don't get all of the game's DLC because of exclusive pre-order deals is so bonkers.

It took me a solid hour plus of time to beat the last Riddler race, and at that time, I truly hated this game.  That last lap was fucking terrible. 

I truly hate the Riddler races and spamming of the Batmobile in this game.  IMHO it doesn't ruin the game, but the developers definitely misinterpreted what the fans wanted with the Batmobile.

• Like 2

I dreaded going back to The Riddler each time knowing it could be another damn race. Put in a couple of hours of solid Batmaning tonight and i'm sitting at 84%. I'm down to the last 5 fire fighters and I've got 3 side missions to the point where they are locked. I'm guessing the remaining parts are unlocked once i finish the other side missions or get a certain amount of Riddler trophy progression, can anyone confirm that for me please? Main story is sitting at 90% but i don't want to progress that anymore in case that's the last checkpoint.

• Like 1

I didn't think the breakable objects were anything important, until I realized that they were militia shields you have to destroy using the tank.

I don't like own the roads because the weapon system is so janky.  It shouldn't take so long to lock on to another car with the missiles.  I mean, if you can successfully sideswipe an enemy car, it looks cool in slow motion, but then it could flip the Batmobile and turn it around in the wrong direction and you suddenly lose 200 meters on your prey.  

In terms of gameplay, IMHO Arkham City is still my favorite.  It seems they took stripped away some of the more fun takedowns in Predator Mode.  That said, I enjoyed the new things you could do with the remote hacking device.  I loved dropping a chandelier on top of Two-Face.

It took me a solid hour plus of time to beat the last Riddler race, and at that time, I truly hated this game.  That last lap was fucking terrible. 

I truly hate the Riddler races and spamming of the Batmobile in this game.  IMHO it doesn't ruin the game, but the developers definitely misinterpreted what the fans wanted with the Batmobile.

I swear it got harder the more I tried, because the timing of the obstacles was all wrong.  That final stretch with the alternating green blocks changed every single time.  Sometimes I could ride more than halfway on the bottom, before having to go to the top.  Sometimes a block that wouldn't be there would suddenly appear to smash me.  Other times one would pop up at the end and smash me.  Sometimes I'd try to go through and try again and the first two doors would be out of sync and I had to stop and wait for them to open before I could drive through, which essentially made it impossible to finish in time.  I hated the fuck out of that challenge, because not only was it dificult, but because it felt rigged.

• Like 1

He did say he was taking over the course. That one was a pain in the ass but once I got past the sidewall with the barriers, it was pretty straightforward. Even i, who enjoyed the challenges, didn't care much for that one. 

There are a few AR challenges that I hated more though. Finally beating them felt like an accomplishment. A hollow accomplishment, for sure, as it's a fucking video game but it was that old school "I DID IT!" feeling from the 8 or 16 bit era.

The key for me in that race was basically going slow through all the obstacles and jetting past he last two parts.

IMHO, a race level like that should not be that crushingly hard on FREAKING NORMAL.  Also the Batmobile steers for shit.

The Batmobiles been real hit or miss for me. I like the implementation of it, even if it feels a little over used at times. But the controls and handling are what spoils it. It was going to be very hard to get an entire new portion of the game right first time but it's a shame it will never be improved upon if this is their last game.

If it's just the "own the roads" and the tower stuff, I think you may have to do one last story bit before you can unlock the last of those.

Yeah those are the ones, and the Penguin side mission is locked as well.

Won't get on there for a couple of days now. Hopefully find those last few firefighters and push one more checkpoint on the main story by the weekend. Then I can try and finish those 3 side missions on my day off. All that's left after that is just over 200 riddles. Simple....

I'm glad y'all cleared something up for me.  I was wandering all over town looking for certain missions and couldn't find squat.  So it seems that you have to progress to a certain level in the main story for certain side missions to reveal themselves?  No so much that they are locked, but I went all over Bleake Island, and can't find hide nor hair of checkpoints and watch towers.

If they're listed on the top-right hand corner in the map, then they are available. There gets to be a point where you take all of them out and then the game throws a handful more at you.

Had a little free time tonight so i grabbed the last 5 firefighters and pushed the main story checkpoint to 94%. That has unlocked 2 out of the remaining 3 side missions, the only one still locked is Penguins at, i think, 40%.

I'm tempted to finish the game once I've beaten everything but The Riddler trophies and watch the alternate ending online. That way i can do riddler stuff at my own pace. I think it will ruin the pace of the game if i get it to one last mission, then have to spend a week or 2 tracking down trophies before i can finish it.

Next time i get on I might take a look online for the location of the next truck and take a wander over there to see if anything unlocks.

Did a quick google, i can only find one other person with the same problem.

I've got a few road checkpoints left, I think three firefighters, and four of those awful transporters....then just riddles and 20% of the main mission. I think. Finished Manbat/Azrael/Street Bombs tonight.

Oh, and the Firefly missions. Those are a DISASTER.

I've got a few road checkpoints left, I think three firefighters, and four of those awful transporters....then just riddles and 20% of the main mission. I think. Finished Manbat/Azrael/Street Bombs tonight.

Oh, and the Firefly missions. Those are a DISASTER.

This is kind of my thing.  For all its faults, Arkham Origins did boss fights with Firefly and Deathstroke better than this game.