DVDVR Message Board

Reed

The way the story has evolved over the past 2.5 seasons, I thought it was more important for Will as a character to make the choice to walk away from Hannibal than to catch him. If Will catches him, then that's really just another evolution in their twisted relationship. It redeems him to acknowledge the toxicity of their relationship and withdraw from a pursuit that has taken him down a dark path that seemed destined to end with the death and dismemberment of everyone he cares about, and possibly himself, if he didn't become something worse first.

And that's what makes Hannibal's surrender so great. It's one more opportunity to mindfuck Will. He's a psychopath; he has to be in control at all times. They're not done until he decides they're done.

Never has the romance angle been more evident than the last 10 minutes.

• Like 3

The way the story has evolved over the past 2.5 seasons, I thought it was more important for Will as a character to make the choice to walk away from Hannibal than to catch him. If Will catches him, then that's really just another evolution in their twisted relationship. It redeems him to acknowledge the toxicity of their relationship and withdraw from a pursuit that has taken him down a dark path that seemed destined to end with the death and dismemberment of everyone he cares about, and possibly himself, if he didn't become something worse first.

And that's what makes Hannibal's surrender so great. It's one more opportunity to mindfuck Will. He's a psychopath; he has to be in control at all times. They're not done until he decides they're done.

Never has the romance angle been more evident than the last 10 minutes.

Maybe, but I do think there have been strong hints Will is probably to end up a serial killer, or at the very least, an accomplice to Hannibal, by the end of the season, so it's not like his weak attempt at a break up is going to last very long. It doesn't feel like that much of a victory.

I'll be interested to see what occupation they give Dolarhyde, seeing as how nobody has to send their home movies out to be developed anymore.

Maybe he just trolls around Facebook checking out dumb moms' public profiles.

I'll be interested to see what occupation they give Dolarhyde, seeing as how nobody has to send their home movies out to be developed anymore.

He does recon on people's houses by watching their Vines.

He works for a "boutique" company that still processes 8mm home movies for hipster families who collect vinyl records and analogue cassette tapes.

The human fetus in the pig surrogate was beyond fucked up.

I may watch too much tv.  As soon as Mason told Margot he had gotten a surrogate, I knew it was gonna be a pig.

Why?  It's just that sort of show.

I kind of had a feeling it was something messed up like that when I realized that the surrogate Verger was talking about was not Alana and he was like, "she's on the farm."  

I can only imagine where Verger found Cordell and what that maniac's story is.

Mason Verger was apparently based (in addition to the Thomas Harris books) on Jim Moriarty from Sherlock.

And, honestly, he makes Moriarty look fucking normal.

A great character: And both Pitt and Anderson deserve a lot of credit for bringing their own spin on him. Might be one of the few times recasting a role has worked in its own weird way. Pitt was amazing; Anderson was good too, especially in those last few scenes with Margot. 

Pitt was an even more fucked up version of The Joker.

Anderson was obviously closer to the weaker, humbled Gary Oldman version...but, still, somehow even more twisted and completely batshit insane than he was before. He was doing an impersonation of Oldman in the Hannibal film, but bringing his own stuff to it as well. That last episode established: Man, as crazy as you think this person is, he's even crazier than that. 

I would have liked to have seen Pitt in the third season, but I liked what Anderson did. I wish he'd had a chance to do more. He really came into his own in those last episodes.   

What a great physical performance by Richard Armitage in his debut as Dolarhyde. I definitely believed him as a guy who thinks there's something else beneath his human form that's trying to get out.

That said, he was totally overshadowed by the long overdue return of DOCTOR FREDERICK CHILTON. "He's a four quadrant killer!"

Providing the series finds a new home, I'm wondering if they'll do the Silence of the Lambs story with Dr. Bloom in Clarice's spot.  Her recent interactions with Lecter have kind of reminded me of that dynamic.

I like how even though Chilton is a complete carny scumbag, he's one of the few people who sees Lecter for the crazy psychopath that he is.

Going by the books he's doomed, but if the series went to its natural conclusion, I'd like to see Chilton live.

Yeah, he was the only one who picked up early on the cannibal puns and Hannibal's true nature. Who cares if he wrote a book and trademarked a nickname? Someone had to. 

• 2 weeks later...

Can we talk for a minute about how hilarious the last two episodes have been?

"I love a good finger wagging."

"Yes, you do. How is Margot?"

So many funny bits about people's moral dignity pants and Randy's big balls.

Evil Alana, and her new wardrobe from the Tim Burton collection, is something else. I miss Chilton, but I think having her in his place puts an interesting spin on Hannibal's incarceration. In the book/movies, Chilton was just so douchey, he actually made the serial killer see kinda sympathetic. But there's an element of sweet, subtle vengeance that comes along with what Alana does to him. It's hard to blame her after all she's been through.

Richard Armitage continues to impress as Dolarhyde, and I'd say that was my favorite version of the tiger scene in all 3 adaptations. Really, it's just competing with MANHUNTER, I guess, because I barely remember it in RED DRAGON at all, but I assume it was in there.

• Like 1

Yeah before that I thought she might be a little conniving and loosing perspective. Should have known better.

Everyone on this show is a terrible person now. Alana and Chilton are hateful. Bedelia is a sociopath. Jack fucks up everyone's life if it means catching a killer.

There's only really Will. And he's compromised anyway and rapidly getting worse

Margot and Reba are good people, I guess, too.

It does feel like Fuller retconned Bedelia a bit. She went from ambiguous and traumatized but still a reasonable enough person to being a heartless sociopathic monster and maybe even superior to Hannibal and Dollarhyde since at least she has self-control.

OK, so why did she go and comfort Will in prison and tell him to stay strong and that she believed him? That's a very nice thing for an evil soulless woman to do.

She also appeared genuinely innocent about Hannibal's antics in season 1 then truly scared of him in season 2...and now we find out she was messing with him all along out of her own perverse curiosity and knew his true nature?

I was always under the impression that she went along with him at the end of season 2 and stayed with him in season 3 out of a sense of self-preservation.  She knew she couldn't hide from him forever and that if she didn't go along with his plan, he'd likely kill and eat her so she decided to go along with him and escape when she had the chance.  In the lecture she was giving this week, it sounded like she came up with the excuse that Hannibal brainwashed her into going along with him (kind of like what he did to Clarice at the end of the Hannibal novel) but that sounds like something she just made up to avoid culpability.  If my idea of her sticking with him out of being afraid to do otherwise is right, then I think she just went too far down the rabbit hole and came out as someone and something far worse.

It's clear from the flashback this week that Hannibal had been grooming Bedelia over a long period of time, just as he did Will and many of the other sickos we've come across on the show. Zachary Quinto's character was placed in front of her to test for a specific response. If she seemed to act differently before this season, it's likely because she was still at odds with this person she was being changed into, just like Will was.

I did think Bedelia's line about needing empathy to be capable of truly cruel acts was quite an interesting remark. 

They're monsters, but Hannibal and Dollarhyde do know about empathy. They use it to know about people and make themselves better torturers.

Bedelia, meanwhile, doesn't really give a crap about anybody. If she can get away with it and you're inconveniencing her, she'll straight out kill you and that'll be that. Like with the patient. She initially tried to come to the man's aid, because that's what she's supposed to do, but then after a couple of seconds she just said "fuck it" and killed him because she found him weak and pathetic. I don't think Hannibal made her that way. He'd have wanted her to torture the guy or something.

An interesting look at two totally different types of evil. Not sure which we're supposed to find worse in the context of the show.