DVDVR Message Board

Reed

Well, last night was a return to more conventional storytelling.  But.... at one point, Will said something like "There is room for all my friends in my memory palace".  So, yeah, we're probably still dreaming?  Or not?  I'm guessing Hannibal was actually captured at the end of season two and has retreated inwards.  But.... Hannibal tends to live in the real world.  Imagination doesn't seem to be enough for him.  Will has been shown to have a unique talent for imagining scenarios and hasn't been overly successful in the real world.  So I wouldn't be too surprised if this season is some sort of delusion in Will's head because he couldn't bear the idea that his friends are dead and Hannibal walked away.

I hope I'm wrong.  I don't like the idea, so I'm guessing I won't buy in to any "It was all a dream" reveal.

I have to say: I've happily put up with a lot of Hannibal's plot holes and general artiness  but Will sailing across an entire ocean to get to Hannibal instead of just taking, you know, a plane really did have me rolling my eyes.

RE: Will going crazy. I'm guessing he has a few nice years where he gets married and settles down, but the Red Dragon case essentially breaks him. I think season 3 ends with him killing Alana or Jack or it being revealed he was the one who off'd Freddie Lounds, not Dolarhyde.

It could just be one of those things, but the TV show really plays up how much he detests her. And, hey, he was the one who came up with the whole "wheelchair on fire" thing in the first place at the end of the second series. Maybe it was just a training method for him doing the real thing? 

I was mostly kidding when I suggested Will would become the Tooth Fairy.  However, that got me thinking.  Fuller is certainly hinting Will could go round the bend and become a serial killer.  Annndddd.... he doesn't really need Will Graham for his version of Silence of the Lamb, if they get that far.  I could see Fuller bringing in a Clarice Starling proxy (since they don't the rights to the character), incarcerating Hannibal, and transitioning Will into the serial killer role.  I don't want to imagine why Will would start putting together a "woman suit", though.  Desire to become Hannibal's wife in addition to friend and soulmate?  That's a disturbing idea.

I'm surprised they bothered to cancel Hannibal, if that's really what they were paying.

The article strongly indicates NBC isn't essential to Hannibal's survival (and it likely isn't).  That's somewhat contradicted by the interview Fuller gave Variety, where he said they'd lose some of their international funding if there wasn't an "NBC component".

I'm surprised they bothered to cancel Hannibal, if that's really what they were paying.

The article strongly indicates NBC isn't essential to Hannibal's survival (and it likely isn't).  That's somewhat contradicted by the interview Fuller gave Variety, where he said they'd lose some of their international funding if there wasn't an "NBC component".

Kinda my feeling. It's absurdly cheap and at least it gives you critical acclaim and you're showing it during the summer . What else are you going put in the spot?

Well, the thing is, NBC isn't paying much for Hannibal's .5 ratings, so whatever. But that horrible rating drags down the ad rates NBC can charge for the next show that fills that timeslot. Eventually the long term financial damage outweighs the short term savings.

What I thought was interesting about that wave of reviews Fuller gave was that he consistently mentioned that his idea for season 4 could be done as a movie. Regardless of where the show ends up, it almost certainly isn't going to get a 13 episode order, but Fuller is putting it out there like, "We can do this for the low, low price of two hours!"

The beatdown was immensely gratifying, but the finish was like when a wrestler runs in to clean house but when the heel bails he acts like the ring ropes are electrified or something and doesn't chase after them.

The beatdown was immensely gratifying, but the finish was like when a wrestler runs in to clean house but when the heel bails he acts like the ring ropes are electrified or something and doesn't chase after them.

Maybe Bedelia played Hanniibal's theme music and froze Jack in his tracks?

(I haven't watched the ep yet, but based on the preview, I'm assuming Jack finally got his hands on Hannibal.)

Oddly enough, Jack definitely took the time to cue up his own theme music before attacking.

I thought this was a joke till I watched the last ten minutes (I'll watch the full episode later).  Lol.  At least he didn't tell someone to announce him before he snuck up on Hannibal.

The beatdown may be my favorite moment in the show - Jack is probably the only character on the show I'm invested in - but, yeah, Jack standing in the window watching Hannibal limp away seemed like something out of a bad SNL skit.

Hardcore fans of the show should really be grateful NBC stuck with this show as long as they did.  This was not a show meant for TV.  Quite frankly, watching the show, I have no idea how it is on network TV and gets away with all of its graphic content.  This was always what really was a cable/online show that somehow got picked up by NBC.  NBC was pretty generous to give it this much leeway, especially with such low ratings.

However, my contention is that it should've been on cable from the beginning, where it probably would've blown up.

OK...and what the fuck was that shit this week?  Is Jack demented?  He has Hannibal Lecter dead to rights...and he lets him go...?  I'm confused?  Is he not done with him?  Did he want him to get away?  That ending made no sense.  He could've hooked him in the face with that thing and it would've been over.  I don't understand.

Now  he's at a murder scene with a dude's freaking bowels hanging over the streets with his prints all over the place.

I like that they've subtly got across how much Hannibal is slipping.

-Jack's beatdown

-Alana finding him with hardly any fuss

-him killing the museum creator on the fly and garnering himself unwanted attention from the cops. 

-Bedelia's probably up to something too.

Big theme here is what happens when a guy so used to winning all the time thinks he's untouchable and actually isn't.  Or, Will fucked with Hannibal's mind more than even Hannibal realized.

They've spend two seasons getting across how he's a genius and the most skilled murderer ever~! and its like "Well, how did he caught?" Arrogance and he let himself be emotionally compromised. 

Tao Okamoto is a devastatingly beautiful woman...but I don't think she's comfortable enough with English yet to handle the dialogue on this show. She's supposed to be an enigmatic character, yes, but more often than not, I get the sense she has no real connection to the words coming out of her mouth.

Aside from the awesomeness of Jack/Hannibal II, this episode definitely felt like they were stretching to keep Will away from Hannibal and Hannibal out of jail for another episode or two. "Chiyoh pushes Will off the train" was a "Drogon flies Dany to the middle of nowhere" plot move.

Hannibal killing Pazzi in the book/movie is perhaps the pinnacle of the character being untouchable and theatrical. They pretty much did the scene verbatim and then immediately followed it up by showing how much he's slipping. The show's not perfect, but it's relationship to the source material and its desire to expand upon who/what Hannibal is has been really neat.

I thought what gave the beatdown real emotional impact was that Jack had been sitting with Pazzi's wife earlier and as soon as he saw the corpse coming out of the window he realized that because of Hannibal she was basically in the spot he was (widowed) and he knows how awful that is.

At that point I think he snapped and had enough. It wasn't even the sly remarks about Bella, he was just sick and tired of this evil murder genius fucking up everyone's life and never getting his comeuppance.

Hannibal might have hated Mason Verger but he's a lot like him in the respect he refuses to see there are consequences of pushing people too far. Same with Alana and Bedelia, who both have it out for him too.

Great scene.

• Like 1

Tao Okamoto is a devastatingly beautiful woman...but I don't think she's comfortable enough with English yet to handle the dialogue on this show. She's supposed to be an enigmatic character, yes, but more often than not, I get the sense she has no real connection to the words coming out of her mouth.

Aside from the awesomeness of Jack/Hannibal II, this episode definitely felt like they were stretching to keep Will away from Hannibal and Hannibal out of jail for another episode or two. "Chiyoh pushes Will off the train" was a "Drogon flies Dany to the middle of nowhere" plot move.

Her acting is OKish, but I think the real issue is her age.

"I knew Hannibal when he was young." 

Honey, you look about 28. 

Presumably she was guarding the prisoner since Misha's death too, which had to be like 20 years ago or more.