DVDVR Message Board

Destiny

Big Fresh

Make sure you don't delete your characters until The Taken King is out J.T. They have said deleting a character before will delete their contributions to your Triumph.

Yeah, there will be no character purge until after TTK.  If I haven't killed Skolas by five days to the deadline and no one on my Friends List wants to deal with the hassle, I'll put some feelers out at Destiny LFG just to give it one last go.

If that doesn't pan out then no harm no foul. 

The thought of having to make another significant time investment in this game may be the inspiration I need to move onto something else but I will probably get TTK for 360 to goof off and collect my Superblack stuff before the deadline so that I can store it in the Vault or something until I get an Xbone and play in earnest.

I am back in VA so it will be all about PvP on crappy internet this afternoon.  I need to complete some PvE and PvP bounties to advance my Mythoclast and finish ascending my chest armor in prep for 35 PoE.  After that, I am down for whatever later on tonight. 

I will probably jump off around 9PM to watch Killjoys on Syfy if we're not in the middle of something in game.  I'll jump back on depending on how motivated I am.

I work day shift tomorrow and Sunday but I will be back in Maryland on Sunday night so that will probably turn out to be another No Gaming Allowed night.

I probably should start playing this again to prep for TTK and build another character or something.

If you have max level characters, don't delete anything until after TTK launches.

After 3 manning the normal Vault last week we attempted to 3 man hard mode Vault tonight. And succeeded. Took about an hour 45 and some very scetchy moments. We got through the Conflux without incident, we've had a harder time with 6 people before. Oracles we did up top just to make it easy. I've never seen the Templar enrage before but goddamn does he! Constant Oracle and Minotaur spawns while you are just praying for a split second to damage him. most intense fight I've had in Destiny, its just non stop down there. Luckily we had him pretty much beat when the enrage hit so we only had to drop his shield once to finish him. Gatekeeper was probably the easiest part. Atheon took about 6 attempts. Which doesn't sound bad but when you have to kill yourself 8 times in between each wipe to get the super charged it sure takes up a lot of time. Had a couple of glitches on him too. Only teleported one of us at one point, the other guy had to break out of containment and enter the portal the old fashioned way. We got him though, only took 3 trips through the portal to kill him on the last attempt. Once he was down to a little under half health we just gutted it out and kept up the pressure till he was dust.

Still no Hunter boots. More arms and helms, thanks Destiny! and another Mythoclast which is good for an Exotic Shard i guess.

Probably not something i would attempt regularly, it's a lot of effort for very little reward (unless it gives me the damn boots!). But we just wanted to see if we could pull it off.

• Like 2

Was online for five hot seconds before being called back to the office to pull extra duty.  Long enough to get my Mythoclast leveled to 365, but not enough time to do anything really meaningful. 

Thanks a lot, crazy North Korean government.  Not happy about the potential for war or my trainees being in harm's way, but the overtime cash will be welcomed.

Gonna have dinner with my kid tonight so that my custody weekend isn't complete shit and spending tomorrow night at my own home in my own bed and Quallity Time will be strictly enforced.

If I make it online tonight, it will probably much later than usual and I won't be online long since I have to go into work tomorrow morning.  My DARPA buddy, RobNater, has a 34 Sunsinger and also wants to try to kill Skolas before the deadline. 

Thanks to the real life things going on for both of us, we're not sure if we will be able to make the attempt before Reset, so we may go in on Tuesday or Wednesday when the stip should be Brawler / Juggler.

Did two Vaults and two Crotas last night. Got bupkis, save for my first Atheon's Epilogue.

Nice to finally have another void primary.

Will probably take a run at Skolas today. Fingers crossed.

Who are you rolling with and what console are you on?  I think we've had more PS guys make the run than Xbox guys.  If you are on the same console as Basara and glfpunk, reach out to them and see if they can help you.

I just got home from a work retreat and was like "God I just want to die and then watch Takeover'

I realized that it would be pretty pointless to buy anything from Xur now - especially with 2.0 hitting on Tuesday (at least that is the way I read the weekly update)

Maybe tomorrow I will work on Warlock kills in the Crucible

It only took 6 1/2 hours, but WE DID IT.

I AM LEGEND.

I think we got stuck on Skolas for about 3 hours, but it took us so long to get there, we were just NOT giving it up. Late in the game, we went to a 2 defender/1 sunsinger team, and I think that made the difference. We actually almost brought him down before the 2nd set of mines came up.

No primary drop, unfortunately. Decided to go with the Queenbreaker Bow for the elder cipher bounty, just because it seems like the least shitty of the choices.

• Like 1

I realized that it would be pretty pointless to buy anything from Xur now - especially with 2.0 hitting on Tuesday (at least that is the way I read the weekly update)

I'd like to know whats happening with Xur come The Taken King. If there are exotics that wont be getting a Year Two version then, other than collection purposes, why would anyone buy them? They have been very vague about how all this will work. A few weeks back they said that you exotics would be usable throughout the 10 years. Does this mean that Year One exotics without Year Two versions can have their attack upgraded they just wont get new perks? Or have they changed their minds? They also said something along the lines of 'not all exotics have Year Two versions at the moment' in the live stream. Does that mean they will bring other exotics forward in the future? They need to drop some concrete information to stop pissing people off.

It only took 6 1/2 hours, but WE DID IT.

I AM LEGEND.

I think we got stuck on Skolas for about 3 hours, but it took us so long to get there, we were just NOT giving it up. Late in the game, we went to a 2 defender/1 sunsinger team, and I think that made the difference. We actually almost brought him down before the 2nd set of mines came up.

No primary drop, unfortunately. Decided to go with the Queenbreaker Bow for the elder cipher bounty, just because it seems like the least shitty of the choices.

Well done. 6 hours is a hell of a commitment, it really does need checkpoints! Trying to kill him before the second set of mines is a damn risky strategy now there are no burn modifies on the fight. I prefer to take my time and clear everything out before getting my hits it.

I know what you mean about it taking ages to get to him. First time I did Skolas it took us about an hour on that goddamn Fallen 'Kill the Target' round. The bastard just wouldn't go down! Who thought it was a good idea to stick a level 36 captain in there? Thats a 66% drop off in damage that you can do!

As for your Cipher. The first time you 'select' the weapon from Variks it's really just him showing you his inventory, they just don't make that fact clear. You don't actually pick the weapon you get until you finish the bounty.

Dregs Promise is terrible. I only just finished levelling it up and there is no reason why I would waste my exotic slot on it when I could just use Vestian Dynasty.

Queenbreakers Bow is basically a sniper rifle that works like a fusion rifle. It has a shorter range than a sniper, but charges like a fusion.

Lord of Wolves is a shotgun that works a bit like a pulse rifle. A bit longer range that a shotgun and has the firing of a pulse rifle (each shot fires 3).

They are more for fun than actual functional use so go with the one that sounds most appealing to you

• Like 1

GRATS TO EVA ON BECOMING LEGEND~!

My Sunsinger friend and I will try to make a run at Skolas on Monday night.  If no one from the Coalition is around to help, we may have to look at getting a third from LFG. If we don't make it on Monday, we will try again after Reset.

@ Mis - That VoG raid we were in broke down abruptly after the Gorgon's Maze.  Way too much lag and glitching, so the group just disbanded to do other things.  I should have the checkpoint after the Jumping Puzzle on my Hunter.  Made it on the first try this time..

No gaming tonight on Quality Time Sunday.  Me working seven days this week with five more to go and not being home in several nights is not good for home sanctity. 

Gotta sleep in my own bed and spend time with my woman so that she doesn't spike my IPA with Draino.

• Like 1

I know what you mean about it taking ages to get to him. First time I did Skolas it took us about an hour on that goddamn Fallen 'Kill the Target' round. The bastard just wouldn't go down! Who thought it was a good idea to stick a level 36 captain in there? Thats a 66% drop off in damage that you can do!

Yeah, that was the part we got bogged down on the longest. It was almost a quittable moment, because if we couldn't handle the 3rd round, how could we ever possibly beat Skolas with Lightswitch? Fortunately we stuck it out and got it done, but I feel like it was more luck than skill. I don't know that we could ever recreate that. Putting the 36 captain in there is definitely a dirty trick.

By contrast, even though it took us 3 damn hours, Skolas seemed more manageable by comparison. Mostly because when things went badly, it was because we screwed up a mechanic, not because "yellow bar captain walks through your bullets like they're nothing and kills you." But Small Arms + only red bar adds really negated the Lightswitch threat, unless somebody had screwed up and we were scrambling to recover.

The crazy thing is we almost cleared it on THE FIRST TRY. We were almost to the second set of mines and had cleared out most of the adds clear when someone - okay, it was me - had a brain fart on the Taint transfer. It would be another 2 hours before we even got that close again.

@JT

I got two found verdicts from the templar last night, sorry bro. In my defense, that gamble paid off.

No worries, bro.   Level up those shotguns and help me and my Sunsinger bro beat Skolas. :)

Rippa still has PoE 35 and CE Hard Raid to do for his Year One emblem.  Not sure if getting those things done is high on his radar, but I am still interested in perishing Skolas and Rob is also pretty gung ho and more or less has the same playtime schedule as me..

Rob has Gold Chests to find and need to beat Atheon on Hard in addition to killing Skolas.   If we get by 35 PoE, finding his remaining chests and getting Atheon on Hard smoked in the next two weeks should be gravy.

I made a No Xbox promise to my woman tonight, but Monday when I am back at the 'rents is a different story.  My connection is still crap there, but it seems to be more solid when I am part of a fireteam. 

Notice that I haven't dconned during any raids I have been on with you, so I should be good for PoE when we get around to it.

I got a Praedyth's Revenge from the Templar that I shredded since I have the Fatebringer and a 365 Gally for VoG..

PR is a good rifle, but I really don't have the patience to level up weapons that won't help me in 35 PoE. 

The Abyss Defiant in my Vault is 365 if we are going to drag Rippa to victory through a hard Crota raid anytime soon.  If we get that done he will be like me and will suddenly care about beating Skolas.

Yeah, that was the part we got bogged down on the longest. It was almost a quittable moment, because if we couldn't handle the 3rd round, how could we ever possibly beat Skolas with Lightswitch? Fortunately we stuck it out and got it done, but I feel like it was more luck than skill. I don't know that we could ever recreate that. Putting the 36 captain in there is definitely a dirty trick.

By contrast, even though it took us 3 damn hours, Skolas seemed more manageable by comparison. Mostly because when things went badly, it was because we screwed up a mechanic, not because "yellow bar captain walks through your bullets like they're nothing and kills you." But Small Arms + only red bar adds really negated the Lightswitch threat, unless somebody had screwed up and we were scrambling to recover.

The crazy thing is we almost cleared it on THE FIRST TRY. We were almost to the second set of mines and had cleared out most of the adds clear when someone - okay, it was me - had a brain fart on the Taint transfer. It would be another 2 hours before we even got that close again.

Best way we've found to handle that damn 36 captain is to send over the Titan, slap down your Helm of Saint blinding bubble right on his doorstep as he comes out and go to town with a found verdict. If the Titan dies in the process its nothing to worry about, the others can work there way through the adds and revive him. And if the Titan fails to finish him off, well, he just ate half a dozen point blank arc shotgun rounds to the face, his shield and health are decimated and the remaining 2 players can finish him with Gjallarhorns across the map. You can also pull it off with an invisible Hunter but you lack the security of the bubble then.

Dude, i already have 3 found verdicts @ 365....what do you take me for, some random filthy casual or something?

Seriously though, those two are easily into double digits of found verdicts that I've had drop for me having just recently gotten a fatebringer, then a second the week xur sold gjally.

Best way we've found to handle that damn 36 captain is to send over the Titan, slap down your Helm of Saint blinding bubble right on his doorstep as he comes out and go to town with a found verdict. If the Titan dies in the process its nothing to worry about, the others can work there way through the adds and revive him. And if the Titan fails to finish him off, well, he just ate half a dozen point blank arc shotgun rounds to the face, his shield and health are decimated and the remaining 2 players can finish him with Gjallarhorns across the map. You can also pull it off with an invisible Hunter but you lack the security of the bubble then.

I was *that* titan on my skolas run. I died, but i took him with me.

Finally had my first "blow through multiple nightfalls in a total of 15 minutes" yesterday as Mis, Buddy and I tore through them.

It is amazing the difference a fully upgraded G-Horn and VoC make

Of course - first run I got a fucking legendary engram

2nd run I got my THIRD Claws of Ahamakara

I also laughed when we used Mis' Gorgon Chest save and I got my FOURTH Universal Remote and more ascendent materials that I could shake a stick at

I should have a Gatekeeper checkpoint on my Hunter from the VoG raid over the weekend that broke up right after I survived the jumping puzzle on the first try.  If there are a bunch of dudes online, we may as well kill Atheon.

If my friend Rob is online and there are only a couple of guys online, I'd like some help with Skolas.  I've been trying to draft Budy for a while since I know he hadn't gotten past 35 PoE yet, but every time I am online he's doing something with his other friends.

Finally had my first "blow through multiple nightfalls in a total of 15 minutes" yesterday as Mis, Buddy and I tore through them.

It is amazing the difference a fully upgraded G-Horn and VoC make

Of course - first run I got a fucking legendary engram

2nd run I got my THIRD Claws of Ahamakara

I also laughed when we used Mis' Gorgon Chest save and I got my FOURTH Universal Remote and more ascendent materials that I could shake a stick at

We have got to get you through a Hard CE raid, man.

Well since tonight is RAW night - I am pretty much gonna take advantage of the XP boost and just run some light patrols (and some Crucible) with my Titan and Warlock. 

Mainly since I need to clear out the space

I have a Gatekeeper checkpoint on my Hunter. If my friend Rob is online and there are only a couple of guys online, I'd like some help with Skolas.

Get your Skolas kill in! Just make sure you allocate yourself 3 or so hours incase it doesn't go as planned.

Some advice for your internet connection issues. You can't rejoin the Skolas fight mid fight if you get kicked. The team has to wipe and you've got a few seconds to join back in during the 'The Darkness had Consumed you' screen. Basically sit there mashing the rejoin button once the team wipes till it lets you in.

I think it's done to stop people joining in at the end to get easy loot. Same reason they got rid of checkpoints. Causes more problems than it solves though.

Knocked out a couple of Crota runs yesterday and we almost one sworded him by mistake. We're going for a serious run at it tomorrow after the reset.

I've been doing a few more Crota and Vault runs lately trying to build up a stack of various shards and energies ready to convert into Motes of Light. Xur will need bribing for engrams again once TTK drops.

• Like 1

I have a Gatekeeper checkpoint on my Hunter. If my friend Rob is online and there are only a couple of guys online, I'd like some help with Skolas.

Get your Skolas kill in! Just make sure you allocate yourself 3 or so hours incase it doesn't go as planned.

Some advice for your internet connection issues. You can't rejoin the Skolas fight mid fight if you get kicked. The team has to wipe and you've got a few seconds to join back in during the 'The Darkness had Consumed you' screen. Basically sit there mashing the rejoin button once the team wipes till it lets you in.

I think it's done to stop people joining in at the end to get easy loot. Same reason they got rid of checkpoints. Causes more problems than it solves though.

I will do my best to get into that showdown with Skolas and I have budgeted at least 3 hours minimum although I know I am not lucky enough for us to click through that in no time flat.

I've done all of the port forwarding configuration on my folk's router so that my connections holds if I am on a raid or something and rolling with a fireteam.  It only craps out if I am playing solo or during PvP which is no real loss.

And yeah, the PoE no joining deal was part of a recent hotfix IIRC.  Forces players to complete the whole arena instead of a fireteam swapping out one member for another just to get credit for the boss battle.   I have done the wipe workaround dozens of times.

I have to remember to bring my 365 Abyss Defiant for the Hive wave and swap back out to my 365 Fatebringer for every wave after.

You main a Hunter right? A little known tip for any set of mines (dismantle or destroy) in the Prisons. They are just re-skinned Oracles. This means Oracle disruptor weapons work on 'destroy the mines' rounds. Not really worth swapping weapons for but it's there anyway. Mainly though, because they are just recycled Oracles they count as enemies. Which means, dismantle or destroy, if you stab one with your Hunter you will go invisible off the hit. That's saved my ass a few times on arc burn hive 34s! But well worth doing on any mines when you find yourself surrounded.

• Like 1